There are no tanks!

It does not seem counter-intuitive at all. It’s just that all my healers have said they prefer prot-spec and faster kills are meaningless in these dungeons (all kills are fast).

1 Like

If the rest of your group is struggling with you in Arms during the leveling dungeons, then no amount of spec changing is going to help them.

1 Like

Not really a lack of tanks, just a lack of tanks doing the same stuff you’re doing. The rub being they have the choice.

Tanks are always rare, but If they are having the experience I am having as a healer with PUG’s, then it’s no wonder they are even harder to come by.

Sorry OP… i just dont want to tank pugs with bads.

1 Like

Tanking for PUGS can just be a miserable experience. From DPS pulling when you are waiting on healer mana or cooldowns, to healers like the OP here:

As a tank, there is just very little incentive to help out PUGS.

1 Like

There are few tanks compared to retail because this is how tanking originally was, you didn’t have instant threat given to you simply for farting in the direction of the mobs. Tanks also do little damage which is how it should be, there should be a trade off for having more survivability.

If tanking was ez mode like it is on retail then there would be far far more people playing as one without a doubt.

1 Like

Tanks? Who needs tanks. “LFM SM Cath aoe spam mages/warlocks” Best groups were 3 mages, warlock and a heal.

And for new tanks it can be a very negative and off putting experience. Even if they know the above, because most dps don’t know or care. In vanilla many eager tanks just give up when they discover that most PUG groups just don’t care.

You can 3 person a lot of dungeon content at level if your willing to play the mechanics game. Its all about how folks want to play. Some like the aoe/cleave, some like the traditional trinity setup or some variation thereof.

Also, things will get better. Once folks start rolling alts, tank demand will get higher and more people will try it. Ok, maybe saying it will get better is a bit optimistic. But we can hope!

Lets not underestimate druids - they can tank certain bosses in naxx in tier 2/2.5 better than prot warriors can

And it will get worse and worse and its straight up the DPS’s fault… period end of discussion.

People (including me) simply will not tank because DPS is about as dumb as you can get… even with marked mobs and telling them to hold off…

Someone pulls off me I let the mob go and kill them and work that out with the priest… but at the end of the day… its not worth the headache… went kitty dps on my druid and wont tank for a PUG ever again.

Perhaps the DPS need to figure it out already… because it WILL get worse and worse.

1 Like

Uhh no not even close to being correct. Druids have some of the worst tank itemization in classic/vanilla with some of the worst DCDs compared to Warriors.

The only tier pieces that have tanking stats are the AQ 40 2 piece while every other tier set in classic is for healing so that means you’re running off sets in tanking with 0 bonuses till AQ 40 2 piece or you can get rank 13 gear. That’s 1+ to disadvantage already compared to warriors

Then you have the issue YOU CAN’T USE BARKSIN IN BEAR FORM in classic, can’t use pots in bear form, can’t use HS in bear form. They can be crit and crushed and that’s not every issue druid tanks have.

Can druids mt/ot? yes it can be done but you’re gonna have a harder time compared to warriors. I love druids (they are my 2nd fav class in the game) but they have a lot of issues in classic/vanilla that didn’t get sorted out till mid TBC and Wotlk.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m playing druid so I can be anything. I am also leveling a warrior so I can be awesome for end game tanking.

It’s still hard to find tanks on retail.

It has very little to do with everyone complaining about how hard tanking is. It’s really not that hard and those who enjoy it would do it anyway no matter how hard it is.

It has a lot more to do with the disparity in demand between raids and dungeons. In dungeons you need a tank for every 5 people. In raids you need a tank for every 20 people. So most people are simply not rolling tanks for very logical reasons - they plan on raiding eventually and want to play as the spec they are going to raid as. This has always been the case throughout WoW’s history.

The other big reason for people not wanting to tank is simply not wanting the responsibility for the success of the group - something the tank always bears, because he’s leading the group, pulling the mobs etc. Most players prefer to follow rather than lead, and this would still be true even if you had unlimited rage and never lost threat (just like on retail, where there is still a tank shortage).

Druids don’t really need tanking stats though. Their tanking stat is armor, which they can cap out preraid, and stamina, which is on everything.

Iirc, Druids can’t get def capped on vanilla while warriors can, which means that druids can receive criticals from bosses.

1 Like

Which is completely irrelevant, because even criticals from 75% reduced white hits are totally ignorable if your healers aren’t braindead.

1 Like

My guild moved from Skeram to Earthfury. Have not had any problems holding threat on 5-7 mobs at a time since I took the actual bear tank talents. LVL 53 now just got my pre bis tank pants from brd. <3

It is!

Leveling a tank takes more time and gold than the other roles. But, the emotional rewards you get for tanking makes it worth it.

Just remember. There is no need to rush to end game in Classic. Relax and enjoy the journey.