Theory of Sylvanas' end game

Is it possible that Sylvanas believes in a Shadowlands more akin to Heaven/Hell dynamic?

I think Sylvanas wants to die but before that happens, she wants to break the cycle (for some) and prison for the rest.

The signs are there. “In the end, Death claims us all.” in the cinematic where Vor’jin made her warchief. At the beginning of BFA, “Life is pain. Hope fails.”

In Shadowlands, Sylvanas eludes to life and hope being signs of weakness but death is always absolute to Anduin. Sylvanas claims she is breaking the current way of how things are done which is flawed for a more just system.

What makes it flawed? What makes a new system just? I think what Sylvanas means is that the current system works well for the immortal (as opposed to mortal beings) cosmic forces which have teamed up to keep death chained up. which consequentially means an endless feedback loop of suffering and injustice for those in reality. (Look at the cosmic map, Death is literally in chains while life is literally flourishing off the cosmic map. Meanwhile, Azeroth is in a closed looped system with Emerald Dream and Shadowlands.)

I think Sylvanas wants to break that closed looped system so when mortals do die, they can finally find rest rather than endless servitude to whatever cosmic force has control over reality at the time.

I may be off my rocker on this so please correct me if I am wrong. Poke holes in my theory by giving me your thoughts on this.

THANKS!

7 Likes

She might have a leg to stand on if her plans didn’t involve buddying up with someone who’s main hobbies include tormenting souls until they’re ground down into nothingness. She doesn’t exactly seem like Madame Altruist to me.

Past that, it’s not exactly her place to inflict her nihilistic worldviews on everything and everyone. Sure, the realms have their flaws, but all of them are fighting against literal nonexistence. In this theorized Sylvanas, she seems to think she knows what’s best for us because she knows what the Shadowlands were all about. And now that we’ve seen the Shadowlands for ourselves, we’re not clamoring up to join her side in droves.

It’s the same deal as Thanos in Endgame. Thanos thought he knew what was best for the universe, and the universe violently rejected him.

19 Likes

So you agree with the Shadowlands system? i dont

2 Likes

I don’t agree or disagree with the system. It has flaws, but nothing worth destroying absolutely everyone and everything over. No amount of “idealism” is worth the pain and suffering this woman’s caused, Shambalah.

4 Likes

the system is beyong every living soul of the universe, life doesnt matter because you’re going to die anyway, i dont judge her actions, i just want a history that makes sense

2 Likes

The Shadowlands original system was flawed, but it’s a better one than Sylvanas’s “kill everything” plan. We went to bat against Sargeras for the same thing, this is no different.

Then again, you don’t actually care what her plans are. By your own admission, you only care about her because “yaaas queen.”

4 Likes

I care about her plans i just dont care about what she did, its boring, i just want to know if the writters can do a good story

3 Likes

That makes absolutely zero sense. What she did isn’t just dust in the wind that can be handwaved moving forward. It’s literally an intrinsic part of her plans, because they’re actions she shows no signs of stopping.

If a “good story” for you hinges on Sylvanas being right, you’re going to be disappointed.

8 Likes

Im hoping she’s right but at the same time i want to see at least something cohesive, doesnt make any sense build a character for years to throw away without a good storytelling, the thing that gives me hope is that until know Shadowlands seems a good lore expasion

3 Likes

The time for her to be “right” has passed entirely. Blizzard themselves have said they’re not gonna let her off the hook.

That’s Word of God that she’s in the wrong. Best you can hope for is a redemption.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, with regard to whatever plans she has, I keep re-thinking about her discussions with Anduin, and his remark of her wanting to give others a choice, when she never was given a choice.

Perhaps whatever scheme she’s cooking up… her intention is to eliminate undeath, or at least change it somehow so those who die can’t be raised unwillingly, as she and the Scourge were?

Something to ponder.

5 Likes

Meh… I’d buy that if raising people unwillingly wasn’t her go-to before she galavanted off to the Maw.

8 Likes

As they say, regret can change the nature of a man. And she has much to regret.

3 Likes

what do you mean?

Can you explain to me why we should believe/trust Eternal Ones?

And can you really say that the atrocities in Azeroth really means anything on the cosmic level? :thinking:

Missed opportunities, failed efforts, that whole “I’m undead” things stemming from being unable to stop Arthas… Lot of stuff.

I’m not saying we should inherently, but given that the alternative is someone who grinds innocent souls down into nothing, strips people of their free will, and loudly proclaims that “death comes for the soul of your world!” they seem a lot more like the better horse to back.

When you think about how most of the worlds in the cosmos have been obliterated by the Legion at this point, yeah.

4 Likes

It’s not too implausible to think Sylvanas could be pulling an inside-man thing and will turn on the Jailer later for her own means. After all, she must’ve learned something from her “loyal servant” Varimathras’ betrayal, even if his schemes ultimately failed to bring forth fruit.

9 Likes

I don’t think Sylvanas won’t put an end to the Jailer if the opportunity presents itself. Especially if she thinks by killing/neutralizing him will advance her own goals.

Ion did say that she is her own master.

Isn’t that the point of Life? Things die so new life can take hold. Our cosmic scale is so skewed to life its shocking how no one is talking about the elephant in the room.

2 Likes

I’d believe that if she wasn’t willing to go toe-to-toe with a 25-man for him.

That’s not really relevant at this point given what she’s been complacent with, and outright facilitated in a huge way.

… I genuinely have no idea what you’re trying to say, but it sounds like pretty words with no real meaning.

4 Likes