The World of Warcraft Performance Guide For Macs

The World of Warcraft Performance Guide For Macs - Battle For Azeroth - Updated 08/21/2018

Introduction & Personal Notes

Hello everyone and welcome to my WoW Performance Guide For Macs! The Burning Legion has been defeated… again… but at a dire cost. The very heart of Azeroth is in need of healing but the denizens of said planet are now caught in a struggle for control of the very planetary resources needed to heal it! Now we must prepare for the impending Battle For Azeroth.

It’s been quite the rollercoaster the last few years hasn’t it? Both in terms of the lore and the technical aspects of the game. Sadly Patch 8.0 does not buck this up-and-down trend, and we are again at something of a low point. We’ve lost a lot and gained very little.

Patch 8.0 brings us a lot of new features like a much-advanced engine running on the Metal API, but we’ve lost the ability to run the game in fullscreen. I’m told that the loss of fullscreen is actually due to a deficiency of DirectX 12 on Windows, but for whatever reason, Blizzard has chosen to maintain the Mac and Windows build of the game in such a way that keeping parity means forcing the Mac build of the game to lose fullscreen as well. Don’t quote me on this as I’m only hearing about this 2nd hand, but that’s what I’ve been told.

Regardless of the reason for losing fullscreen mode, the fact that it’s gone means that we as players have to do quite a bit more work on our end to get the game running smoothly on our Macs. This loss of fullscreen has had a lot of ripple effects that negatively impact a lot of people’s ability to play the game outright. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it is right now.

With that said, if you’re logging in for the first time since BFA launched, and you’re wondering why the game runs so much worse at the same settings, I’d like to remind everyone that because of general upgrades to the textures and graphics, the settings you used in Legion will actually now be a notch or two lower than they are now. So if you were playing the game at the “7” preset, you’ll want to run it at 5 now to maintain the same overall settings.

On top of that, the loss of fullscreen means we have to do some drastic tweaking to change the game’s resolution. In short, it’s actually impossible to play at the exact same settings you had in Legion. All of the old resolution options have been removed. So comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

The Settings: A Precursor

If you only read part of this guide, this is the part you should probably read.

The vast majority of Macs that Apple now sells include what Apple dubs “Retina Displays”. This is just Apple’s marketing term for putting very high resolution monitors in their Macs, and then using software trickery to scale and enlarge the images on those screens so they’re not too tiny to read, despite the very high resolution being displayed. On a standard desktop, this makes images and text nice and crisp to read.

The problem is that Apple pairs those displays with relatively weak graphics cards or “GPUs”, which is what renders all the pretty graphics on the screen. With Retina Displays now standard on virtually all Macs made within the last several years, I need to point out the most crucial thing of this entire guide.

Not a single Mac on the market has a GPU powerful enough to play games at native resolutions.

This has become even more crucial in BFA with fullscreen mode now removed from the game. The loss of fullscreen in addition to Apple’s implementation of Retina scaling has made things very difficult for us to run the game smoothly without it looking pixelated or fuzzy.

As an explanation, the 15" Macbook Pro has a 2880x1880 resolution display, and the 27" iMac has a 5120x2880 “5k” resolution display.

Neither of these Macs have GPUs anywhere near powerful enough to play games at these resolutions. Even a GTX 1080Ti, one of the most powerful graphics cards available, struggles to play games at “5k”, and the GPUs in these Macs aren’t even close to that. The only GPU that could come close is the Vega GPU in the iMac Pro.

Worse still, the baseline 21" iMac, the 13" Macbook Pro, the Macbook Air, the standard Macbook, and the Mac Mini all use Intel integrated graphics instead of dedicated GPUs. So playing games at reasonable resolutions like 1920x1080 “1080p” is difficult even at modest settings on these lower end machines. Let alone at the much higher “Retina Display” resolutions.

In layman’s terms, if the graphics listing has “Intel” in the name, it sucks. It’s an integrated graphics solution bolted onto the CPU, and is NOT a dedicated graphics card. Intel doesn’t even make dedicated GPUs. So if it has Intel on it, just assume it’s barely capable of minimum settings. WoW will run, but not well and it’ll look like garbage.

The Settings: External User Tweaks

I would read this next part too if I were you.

If you’re on a Mac that has a Retina Display, the game will now choose to always run at a specific very high resolution regardless of what you set the scaling to in your System Preferences>Display settings. And as I stated in the section above, this resolution is probably way too high for your poor graphics card to handle.

There are now two main ways to deal with this:

• Set the in-game Resolution Scale down to something lower than 100%.

• Run the game in “low resolution mode”.

To do this, close WoW, open a Finder window, navigate to the directory WoW is Installed to (usually “Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft”), right-click (command-click) on the WoW.app executable itself (Not the WoW Launcher), and click “Get Info”. In the new “Get Info” window that pops up, tick the “Open in Low Resolution Mode” checkbox. WoW will now open at the same resolution as what the System Preferences>Display panel says your screen “looks like”. From here on, you can open WoW normally from the launcher’s “Play” button.

The main differences between the two options are as follows:

Running the game at native resolution and adjusting the resolution scaling lets you keep UI elements like your unit frames and action bars sharp while making the actual game world more or less pixelated.

In contrast, running the game in low resolution mode will make everything, including the action bars, slightly more pixelated. But not as overall drastically so as lowering the resolution scaling does. Either way, it’s a trade off from what we had in Legion.

Personally I think running the game in low resolution mode looks and runs better on my personal Macbook Pro, but do whatever you think works best for you.

Let’s use my Late 2016 Macbook Pro with a Radeon Pro 460 Polaris GPU as an example:

[quote]Sample Settings Taken From A Late 2016 Macbook Pro as Mid Ranged Baseline

Graphics > Display

Display Mode: Fullscreen (Windowed)

Window Size: 1920x1200

Resolution Scale: 100%

Monitor: Color LCD

Anti-Aliasing: None

Vertical Sync: Disabled

Base Settings

Graphics Quality Slider: 5

Graphics > Textures

Texture Resolution: High

Texture Filtering: 16x Anisotropic

Projected Textures: Enabled

Graphics > Environment

View Distance: 5

Environmental Detail: 5

Ground Clutter: 5

Graphics > Effects

Shadow Quality: Good

Liquid Detail: Good

Sunshafts: Disabled

Particle Density: Good

SSAO: Disabled

Depth Effects: Good

Lighting Quality: High

Outline Mode: Disabled

Advanced > Advanced

Triple Buffering: None

Reduce Input Lag: None

MSAA: None

Multisample Alpha-Test: Disabled

Post-Process AA: None

Resample Quality: Bilinear

Graphics API: Metal

Physics Interactions: Player Only

Graphics Card: Auto-Detect

Max Foreground FPS: 60

Max Background FPS: 10

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 50

Gamma: 1.0[/quote]

As you can see, I’ve generally kept my settings on the modest side for my Macbook Pro. I’ve disabled some of the more demanding settings like Sunshafts and SSAO. Another thing you might have noticed is that I’m running the game at 1920x1200, which implies that I’ve already set the game to run in low resolution mode as described in the section above instead of opting to run the game at native resolution and just adjust the resolution scale accordingly. Ultimately it’s up to you to fiddle with the settings and decide what you’re most comfortable with.

The Settings: Explained

Graphics > Display

Display Mode:

This lets you choose between running the game within a window on the desktop, or to fill up the screen while running in a borderless window.

Resolution Scale:

Also known as DSR, super sampling, or “SSAA”, resolution scaling is basically a slider that adjusts the “internal resolution” of the game. Setting this to 200% will literally render the game at 200% of the game’s current resolution, and then downscale it to match your monitor. Gamers with extremely high end gaming rigs like to crank this up as a form of Anti-Aliasing to help smooth out edges of textures and generally make the game look better, but this has by far the single biggest impact on the performance of the game. If you’re on a 4k iMac and set this to 200%, you’re essentially running the game at 8k resolution. So unless you’ve somehow modified your Mac to have an industrial grade GPU, never set this above 100%. You can even decrease below 100% it if you want a little more performance out of the game at the cost of graphical fidelity.

Extreme performance impact.

Anti-Aliasing:

As the in-game tool-tip says, it is a graphics filter used to smooth out jagged edges. In general, the severity of visible jagged edges changes drastically depending on the game and the graphics engine used to display it.

The different types of AA listed are shown in order from the least taxing/worst quality to the most taxing/best quality, from top to bottom. Describing each type of AA goes beyond the scope of this guide, but suffice it to say, MSAA is generally the best compromise between quality and performance.

FXAA is a sort of lens filter that overlays the entire screen after the game has already been rendered, and acts as a post-render effect, blurring everything including the UI elements like action bars. MSAA is added during the rendering of each frame, and only smooths out the edges of textures. As described above, SSAA is an extremely taxing method of AA that renders the AA at a much higher resolution, then downscales it to match your game’s current resolution. It’s by far the best type of AA, but it kills most graphics cards.

Moderate to High performance impact. Use MSAA 2x for best balance.

Vertical Sync:

Vertical Sync aims to reduce the amount of “screen tearing” that occurs when the game’s frame rate drops out of sync with the monitor’s refresh rate. The result is a more fluid image at all times. The trade off is that it does this by limiting the game’s frame rate to a multiple fraction of the screen’s refresh rate. So if you have a 60Hz monitor (as most all Macs do) and the game’s running at 60fps, but then drops below 60fps for whatever reason, V-Sync will instantly drop the game’s frame rate down to a divisible fraction of 60fps, such as 30fps as opposed to 59fps, to avoid tearing. This can sometimes throw players off if they’re not expecting the sudden drop and jitteriness in motion animation.

Use whatever your eyes are most comfortable looking at.

Graphics > Base Settings > Graphics Quality:

This slider is an overall preset function that collectively tries to adjust every setting at once. Personally I’m more inclined to sewt it to “custom” and tune each and every setting manually.

Graphics > Textures

Texture Resolution:

Changes the sharpness of the in-game textures like flooring, player armor, NPC skins, etc. Setting this higher doesn’t require much more raw processing power from your GPU, but it does require more video memory, or VRAM. So if two video cards had 256MB of VRAM, and another had 4GB of VRAM, but the video cards were otherwise completely identical, the 4GB card would be able to load much higher resolution textures with zero performance loss because it can simply hold more in it’s memory. Think of VRAM as your video card’’s stamina. Trying to load textures on a card that doesn’t have the VRAM for it will force the card to keep switching out textures in order to display them, and will generally cause the game to stutter as you move and pan the camera as it tries to load the textures it needs.

Performance based directly on the amount of video memory your video card has.

Texture Filtering:

A filter used to enhance the sharpness of textures, as opposed to just the edges. Lowering this will increase performance, but very few modern GPUs have trouble with 16x TF anymore.

Minimal performance impact.

Projected Textures:

This enables the projection of certain textures, like spell effects, onto the game’s terrain and other object surfaces. Turning this off can drastically improve performance, especially on mobile GPUs where pipeline bandwidth (The GPU’s ability to process multiple instructions to and from the CPU at once) is limited.

Moderate to high performance impact.

Graphics > Environment

View Distance:

Increases and decreases the point at which distant objects change from being flat decals to rendered, textured objects. This has a profound impact on game performance, especially in newer zones from more recent expansions, where the game’s textures are much higher resolution than older zones. This uses both raw GPU power and VRAM. The higher the setting, the more the GPU has to render at once.

High to extreme performance impact.

Environmental Detail:

This is essentially View Distance for grass. It changes the distance at which grass and other minor ground objects, like pebbles, are rendered. AMD video cards are less affected by this setting than nVidia cards are. nVidia cards have a harder time with it.

Minimal to Moderate performance impact, depending on video card.

Ground Clutter:

Changes the density of ground clutter, like grass and pebbles. The higher the setting, the denser the grass becomes. Like Environmental Detail, nVidia cards have a harder time with it than AMD cards.

Mild to Moderate performance impact.

Graphics > Effects

Note: Some of the following effects may be disabled completely on some lower end graphics hardware.

Shadow Quality:

Changes the amount of shadows rendered in the game, as well as how many layers of shadows are allowed to stack on one another. This can have a dramatic affect on performance. And in fact, Shadows has been bugged in WoW for years. High and Ultra shadows are a LOT more demanding than they should be. I personally recommend keeping Shadows to “good” on all but the highest end systems.

High performance impact.

Liquid Detail:

Changes the water effects in the game. Low uses the old water maps from Classic WoW, while Fair and higher use the new liquid maps from Cataclysm onwards. Again, High and Ultra have a pretty large impact on game performance, especially on lower end cards. I’d keep this on “Good” unless you have a higher end Mac.

Moderate to High performance impact.

Sunshafts:

Changes the sun’s ability to shine down on objects. Again, this setting is currently bugged, and requires a lot more power to run than it really should. Keep this on “Good” or lower.

Particle Density:

Changes the density of spells and effects. For example, on Low, a Mage’s Blizzard spell might drop 20 icicles. But on Ultra, the same spell will drop 100. This setting has the most impact in raids where lots of players are casting many spells at once. If you’re in a raid and suddenly need to lower your settings, this is a good one to start with.

Moderate to High performance impact, depending on situation.

SSAO:

SSAO, or Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion is an algorithm that approximates ambient lighting. Most noticeable indoors. Higher settings add more ambient lights, and render existing ones more accurately. As with Sunshafts, SSAO is somewhat bugged, and requires more power than it should.

Depth Effects:

Controls the depth of certain particle effects.

Moderate performance impact.

Lighting Quality:

Changes how accurate lighting effects are rendered, and the quality of the effect.

Outline Mode:

Adds colored outlines around NPCs and players alike based on faction reputation.

Epilogue

Well there we have it folks. The complete updated guide for World of Warcraft: Battle For Azeroth. I hope you all had as much fun reading it as I did writing it. See you in the impending war!

3-B. Past Changes

• 08/21/18: Major revisions for launch of BFA.

• 09/06/17: Rewrite for major changes in patch 7.3.

• 07/20/16: Major rewrite for Legion.

• 10/23/14: Total revamp for WoD in light of new Retina Macs.

• 10/17/13: Changed the format of the guide completely.

• 03/21/12: Added Late 2011 Mac Models, updated to represent 64-bit performance.

• 04/22/11: Added Late 2010 Macbook Air, notes on integrated graphics.

• 12/14/10: Updated for Cataclysm, lowering some settings to accommodate slow performance.

• 10/14/10: Revamped settings for new graphics interface. Removed older Mac Models.

• 04/28/10: Added newest Mac models, revamped settings to uniform 60fps across all models.

• 02/12/10: Revised, condensed, and corrected small typos.

• 12/01/09: Added Snow Leopard and newest Mac models. Removed PowerPC Macs.

• 04/21/09: Updated settings to match the new scheme in patch 3.1.

• 03/13/09: Added early 2009 Mac models.

• 11/20/08: Updated new information after Wrath of The Lich King launched.

• 10/08/08: Complete & utter overhaul in preparation for WoTLK.

• 03/30/08: Updated findings for patch 2.4.

• 02/13/08: Added details concerning the OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Graphics Update.

• 02/07/08: Included PowerPC G4, G5, and newest Core 2 models.

Notice:

Hey all, I know the mods already pinned this to the top of the forum, but I do not have any access to edit the original post due to the forum migration, so unfortunately I’ve had to repost the guide and forego the multitude of helpful replies in the original thread.

All further discussion should be posted in this thread.

Forum mods, if you could unpin the existing guide and pin this one, that’d be swell.

19 Likes

Your description of Vsync is describing double buffering. Triple buffering does not stutter as such when frame times exceed 16ms, merely resulting in uneven frame pacing and judder.

Furthermore, at least in my own testing, it does not appear possible to enable double buffering on macOS anymore (or rather, disable triple buffering) as any application allowing you to choose between the two (like WoW) performs the same regardless of the setting.

Noted. I’ll make the changes in my 8.1 revision.

1 Like

Thank you for this guide. Super helpful especially since I’m a Mac laptop user (Don’t have space for a full-on gaming rig, etc).

I recently was upgraded to a 2018 Macbook Pro with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, on 10.14.1 (OS X Mojave). How well do you think WoW could run? I’ve been considering getting back into it but I’m not sure. I know in your previous guide you said that basically any Macbook with ‘Intel’ in the graphics name is gonna suck for WoW, but I was curious if the one in mine could run it on at least Mid-tier settings. I never raided much even when I played WoW (mostly a roleplayer, PvE type of girl).

Does anyone have any real-world metrics yet for the 8.1 update? I’m not seeing a huge change in FPS on either my desktop 1070 or my laptop Vega 20, but I’ve not done anything exhaustive yet. Boralus seems about the same, and still getting ~20-25 FPS max on the world boss.
Thanks
[GryphonMD]

20-25fps with a Vega 20? Are you running native res or in “low res” mode?

What are your system specs Gryph? While I wouldn’t expect much from a Vega 20 (it’s seriously cut down vs. even the Vega 56 which is 3.5x more powerful), the 1070 scenario is interesting though. Need more info though.

Native res. Low-res looks like crap. Note that’s on a world boss in a raid group with lots of stuff on the ground.

EDIT: Specs for Tia…

NVidia 1070 Founder’s Edition running in a 2009 Mac Pro upgraded to a 6-core 3.46 GHz Xeon w/24g RAM. That’s pushing a 27" GSync monitor at 2560x1440@144 hz, although I think I actually have GSync off at the moment.

[GryphonMD]

I’m assuming that since you’re running Pascal and you want actual performance that you’re still on 10.13.6?

On the Mac Pro, yes. The laptop has to run Mojave.
[GryphonMD]

I wonder if in order to get the full effect of the multithreading if we need Mojave’s Metal…would be frustrating if so simply because Mojave’s a steaming pile right now for nVidia users.

I should be able to test that tomorrow since I have a machine running each – can see how many threads are in the CPU monitor, or at least check what ‘top’ is saying.

I will say that on my Mac Pro, fighting against the big tank in Arathi was MUCH less choppy today than last time. So maybe it helps a lot more with certain spell effects than others.

[GryphonMD]

Sorry for the delay; it’s been busy here… but I did some informal testing on my desktop Mac Pro. I’m actually pretty impressed with what I’ve found.
While I still tend to see no more than 50-60 FPS in Boralus, there are other areas that used to be the same speed which are now twice that – in particular, around the Tortollan refuge in Stormsong Valley. I’d been hoping the big World Quest boss would be up there, but I haven’t seen it lately. I used to drop to single digits anytime it was nearby. Just riding around I’m seeing 110-120 FPS with a bunch of mobs, the water textures, sunshafts, and all the other crap that’s going on.

WoW now has 51 threads running. My old screen shots have 8.0.1 at 32 threads. Each core (CPU has 6) is now running between 30 and 40% for a single hyperthread; the other is running around 10%. The primary core (probably doing OS stuff) is a steady 50%. More significantly though, the GPU is above 80% usage pretty much the entire time I was looking.

By comparison, the old build saw each core other than the first at 15-20% utilization and the GPU closer to 60% except in rare instances.

So there are definite hardware-usage improvements… I’ll try to get more raw FPS numbers in specific situations as I do more in-game.

[GryphonMD]

It’s great that 8.1 has been such a major improvement for everyone.

Sadly I had my internet cut off a little over a week ago due to a mix up at my satellite ISP. Though I was informed that landline DSL has just been rolled out in my area for the first time ever, so I’m in the process of waiting for the tech to come out and install that in the next few days.

When that’s installed, I’ll finally be able to play WoW without the 1200ms latency or insane data caps I’ve played with for the last 8 years. So with any luck I’ll be getting back into WoW in a way that I haven’t since Wrath, and this guide will get the real updates it’s needed for a while.

I am playing from a 2018 Macbook Pro with the following specs:

Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Processor 2,9 GHz Inter Core i9
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536

All my graphics settings are matching the one in this tread. The only difference is that I have the game set for 3360x2100 and playing at 50% resolution (I find this looks better than low resolution). There are periods when I go with 60FPS at all times with minor drops (around 50FPS) and periods where the frame drops are instead huge (around 10, sometimes lower). It doesn’t seem to correlate to any particular zone (I could be at my Garrison, or flying around, or in a dungeon, by myself or with a lot of NPC/Players around…).

Is someone experiencing the same drops? And hopefully knows how to fix it?

I shall also mention that I’m relatively light with addons, in case that would make a difference (I use less than 20 - WeakAuras, ArkInventory, WoWPro, Auctioneer, MoveAnything, BlizzMove, Bean Counter, Minimap button bag, GTFO, Battleground Enemies, NPC Scan, Stubby, Informant, SideBar, Swatter, Tidy Plates, TomTom, Total RP)

I’ve run afoul of troubles with my late 2014 iMac
(AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB)
Turns out it was a problem with the System Preferences: Display Settings vs Game Display Settings.

Short version:
Try to match your system pref display settings to match the in-game settings to prevent your GPU from having to work double duty by running in native resolution and then forcing it, via WoW, to run in a different rez.

What I did:
Run iMac in Low Rez 3200 x 1800
Set the display slider in WoW to 3200 x 1800

Now, here’s the catch: The WoW slider has all sorts of settings choices. You may find that 3200 x 1800 (or whatever you’re using) isn’t available right off. Pick the closest setting to what you set you iMac to and APPLY. Magically, the slider will now have more settings to chose from, including the now native 3200 x 1800. APPLY. It’s now nice to look at & runs relatively well in terms of FPS (40-ish)

2 Likes

Hi Eathiel, I have been reluctant to post a reply on this page as I can already hear the scathing rebuke from others about how I run my setup but here goes anyway.

The primary difference perhaps with my system vs others, is the lack of programs and other crap on my machine. It’s almost completely clean with the exception of WOW. With all computers it is all about programs competing for computer resources, that is, other apps and the like running in the background competing for processing power. If you don’t know how to find out what’s running in the background hit Control +Option +Escape and the list will come up or Youtube it. This is particularly important for MAC as MACs are NOT the ideal platform to run high demand games, so give your MAC the fighting chance to compete by making sure its up to date and as clean as possible!

Result
I get around 40-45FPS in WOW in high load environments like Battle for Hillsbrad (this last weekend) with the following set up, and while typing this, my toon is standing in Boralus pulling 68FPS, with 36ms latency in game, so if that’s what you are looking for and if my settings help you get the same or somewhere close, Great, if not I would recommend trial and error to figure out the settings that work for your particular machine.

You mentioned Addons, I run very few Addons - they are Bartender, HHTD, Recount, DBM, ClassTimer, Pawn. - I run Discord/Vchat through a different system.

My Tech stuff

Macbook Pro 15 inch 2016

Processor : 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7

Graphics : Radeon Pro 460 4095 MB (Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB)

Memory : 16 GB 2133 Mhz. LPDDR3

Internet connection: 12 ms latency, 547.31Mbps Download 12.80MBPS Upload

Monitor LG 5K - Free standing

Operations system : Mojave Version 10.14.3

Game settings

Display

Display mode - Fullscreen

Window size - 5120 X 2880

Resolution scale - 100% (5120 X 2880)

Monitor - LG UltraFine 5K - Notice settings and Monitor match ( in the above post)

Anti Aliasing - None

Vertical Sync - Disabled

Graphics Quality

Graphics Quality - 10 (sliding scale)

Texture Filtering - 4X anisotropic

Projected Textures - Disabled

Environment

View Distance 5 (Sliding Scale)

Environmental Detail 10 (Sliding Scale)

Ground Clutter 5 (Sliding Scale)

Effects

Shadow Quality - Low

Liquid Detail - low

Sunshafts - Disabled

Particle Density - Good

SSAO - Disabled

Depth Effects - Disabled

Lighting Quality - Good

Outline Mode - Disabled

Advanced Settings

Tripple Buffing - Disabled

Reduced Input Lag - Disabled

MSAA - None

Multisample Alpha-test - Disabled

Post - Process AA - None

Resample Quality - none

Graphics API - Metal

Physics Interactions - Player Only

Graphics Card - AMD Radon Pro 460

UI Scale -1.0

Max foreground - 200 FPS

Max Background - 200 FPS

Contrast - 50

Brightness -50

Gamma - 1.1

Not a dig or ping, but curiosity on a couple of your settings.
Environmental detail, for me, doesn’t make much difference between 8 and 10 visually, but makes a LOT of difference FPS-wise. I’m curious why you have yours at 10 and whether you’ve tried other settings. Also, background of 200 max – what’s the point there, since you’ll usually want resources for whatever you’ve tabbed out for?

Also, do you see the same FPS on the internal screen? Your physical setup is nearly identical to my son’s 2018 MBP but he doesn’t get anywhere near those FPS. Heck, I rarely get 68 FPS in Boralus with my souped-up Mac Pro, though my detail setup is higher than yours.

EDIT: Just realized your Effects settings are lower than ours, which probably makes the most difference. Shadows are very CPU-intensive, as is the water effect.

[GryphonMD]

Thank you!!! This really helped me sort out my graphics issues on my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina with the Nvidia GeForce 750m card. I think what really did it was starting the app in low res mode and then adjusting the in game settings. I’ve been trying for weeks to figure this it out and i went through many forums until i finally came to this. Huge thumbs up, =D