The World of Warcraft Performance Guide For Macs

Hey, I followed this thread and you recommended to enable MSAA anti aliasing. Totally hanged my game whenever I logged in and it took a long time for me to figure out this was the problem. Went back to FXAA high and have no problems.

If MSAA caused the game to crash, you have bigger issues than graphics settings.

I’d post a thread in the main forum with your issue and specs.

It might be worth adding CMAA in as a viable alternative to MSAA. I find MSAA to look worse than CMAA (unless you go for 8x which has the massive performance hit) on retina screens factoring in the 50% render scale.

Stoneblade, any thoughts on why bicubic resampling is not part of the suggested defaults as dictated by Blizzard, considering that 50% render scale IS the suggested default for 5k iMacs?

Also, what type of AA would you recommend for a system using a Vega 48 (8 gb)

I’ve got a bunch of notes from all of the replies here slated to be included in the next major update to the guide when 8.2 drops. I’ll try to address everything then.

When I originally started this guide more than 9 years ago, I had relatively easy access to most Macs on the market at the time so I could list the “best” settings to play at for each Mac model. My working situation has changed several times since then so I no longer have access to any current Macs aside from my personal 2016 Macbook Pro. My main computer is a “hackintosh”, MacOS running on high-end PC hardware, so I have to make a point to ignore my main computer and do all of my testing on that Macbook Pro whenever I update the guide. So any advice I could give about specific Mac hardware other than my own would be no more than a guesstimate.

All I can really do with the guide anymore is give an example of how it performs on my middle of the pack machine, and teach best practices in finding the best settings on your own.

2 Likes

Thanks. Will you be including comments on the advanced settings page?

I have a 2017 15" Macbook Pro with a Radeon Pro 555. I had all the settings set and good for 8.1, but something happened when I log in for 8.2 and now it can’t find my computers resolution.
Before, I was actually removing the retina display with Resolutionator by Many Tricks. It works well and can help alleviate the load on your GPU by turning off the retina display. However, for some reason this is no longer working and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation.

2 Likes

I’ve also noticed that checking “Open in Low Resolution” no longer seems to work at all for the .app file. You can in game just switch it down to half resolution but that I don’t think performs as well as the old Low Resolution mode (which still works in Classic Beta).

2 Likes

Running WoW on a late 2013 Trash Can Mac, Thing can handle it no problemo, however with everything in ultra the GPU spikes to 95%. Would be juicy to make use of the Dual GPU, but expect blizz to optimize the game for it would be just wishful thinking at this point.

Thank you so much… I just got a 2019 macbook pro 15’ running Radeon 560x… So far so good now i can play WoW again :slight_smile:

I just got a new 2019 MacBook Pro with the Radeon pro 560x upgraded from the 2013 15 inch. It’s a very good jump.

My fan revs up pretty quickly, but the case stays only barely warm. If I keep my settings to 5 or 6, it works well. Above this my frame rate noticeably slows and struggles and the case heats up.

For a gaming snob, well…they are the Mac haters. For casual players who just wanna play and enjoy, then it’s perfectly fine.

My 2013 pro struggled above setting three, but I played wow for years on that thing.

On the 2013, I did once install windows, and wow played much better that way, but it made my laptop pretty hot playing on setting 5 which it would do while in Mac OS it simply refused to cooperate. Not so great I think for a long term 3200 dollar investment. Windows on MacBook did allow third party over clocking and fan control, but Apple doesn’t like that because the MacBooks are finely tuned specifically. And windows is even more trippy and twitchy on a Mac. If you just gotta play wow on a Mac to its fullest potential (push your MacBook beyond intended purpose), then install windows…but it seems like a dubious prospect as common sense (or at least basic deduction skill) would indicate. If your book gets hot, then it is literally burning and cooking…and might as well set your wad of money on fire and watch it burn up. Better to trash a cheap dedicated PC gaming unit. I think those are fairly meant to be disposable anyway

I hate windows PCs because there is still a real world to work in and do other things besides gaming.

For non-gaming snobs who enjoy a past time then the mac is the best option…or at least a fair option if you do more than gaming…and need more than gaming as a past time. I do photography, and my Mac is ace for that, too.

Bottom line: The New 2019 MacBook Pro 15 inch with Radeon 560x is just fine for normal past time play…way better than my 2013 which also worked well enough for casual gaming. It is nice playing at setting 5. It looks much nicer.

What’s crazy is I got the latest 2019 MBP as well, with the high-end card. Definitely better than the mid-2013 it replaced. What will bake your noodle is bootcamping it to Windows 10 Pro, and seeing the FPS jump through the roof, on the same hardware. 120FPS no worries. Turn all ( ok, MOST of the knobs ) up and be like - same box, how come MacOS performance is 25% of this on the same machine? I’m not even sure the Apple-provided bootcamp drivers for Windows are the optimized ones. Definitely shows that the Apple hardware can do more than we get to see.

I am looking at purchasing a high end iMac for Black Friday:
27" display
3.6Ghz Core i9
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB

Has anyone got experience with a similar machine that could share their settings and thoughts on BFA play?

Thanks in advance,

Anyone else having serious issues since the release of N’zoth patch? I’m on minimal graphics and no addons and I still disconnect every 5-15 minutes. Hope I’m alone on this, but fearing…

Here I am with my 2017 Macbook Pro 15-inch, 3.1Ghz i7 processor and Intel Graphics 630 and Radeon Pro 560. Tried playing last night and had crazy heat with constant loud fans, the game ran smooth though! It didn’t feel good considering the heat, has no one with a macbook considered using an eGPU?? I’ve been looking into them and I am thinking it may be the solution to both my high heat temps and ability to have desktop graphics capabilities for WoW and other programs. I’d like to hear from someone that has an eGPU setup with a macbook if anyone here is running that?

i do,

have 2019 MBP with vega 20 and use a 5700XT as eGPU on a 3840x1440 monitor.

1 Like

Out of curiosity - has anyone compared the performance on a MacBook Pro with an iMac (I own both - in my case both are around 2017 with graphics cards)?

Wondering because while in my case my iMac is the more powerful computer the sheer screen size brutalizes the game even when I reduce the resolution. While the MacBook seems less affected.

Which seems… odd.

1 Like

Just got a new macbook with the following specs (work). Do we think the initial post is still relevant? I’m not that knowledgable about this stuff but i was surprised that the “recommended” graphics setting was only 3.

Specs:

2020 13" Macbook Pro
27" Thunderbolt display
2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB RAM
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

I’m running a late 2014 Mac Mini with a 2.5GHz i5, 1.5GB Intel Iris GPU, and 8GB DDR3 RAM.

BofA played horribly on my machine even at the lowest settings. Layers took forever to render. When I summoned a mount I disappeared from view and it took a full 30 seconds or more for my mounted self to reappear. If I logged in while in a big city I had to wait two to three minutes for all the backgrounds and NPCs to load, including questgivers.

Shadowlands fixed all that. I can turn my settings up a little higher (I set to 5 and then tweak from there) and the performance is fine. I wasn’t even sure my machine would run Shadowlands much less run so well. Apple’s Metal has obviously made a difference and thanks to the Blizzard developers for making it work.

1 Like

I just got a new Mac (with VERY good specs compared to my older one) and am tinkering with settings. The vertical sync seemed to have the biggest impact on my FPS (I was maxing at 60 and dropping to 30 constantly).

Overall everything is amazing on this new Mac, but I was wondering if anyone had any more customization tips for Shadowlands and absolutely anything new?

2 Likes