The Voices Within, new collection of short stories announced

https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/world-of-warcraft-the-voices-within-pre-order

Featuring Thrall & Durak, Anduin, Alleria & Arator and Gazlowe

The World of Warcraft: The Voices Within pre-order is available. This collection of short stories provide a glimpse into the upcoming World of Warcraft: The War Within expansion.

We can finally learn more about Thrall’s son who seems to have grown into a teenager since the last time we saw him in the Legion expansion + the Shadowlands time-jump. Anduin is on the trail of the voice from the Azeroth’s world soul. Alleria and Arator finally get the spotlight in a short story, plus Gazlowe cranks his newfound leadership to 11 inspiring a goblin city. What machinations and plans are brewing in his mind for honest and law-abiding profits.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE VOICES WITHIN

Enhance your experience of The War Within, the first expansion in World of Warcraft’s World Soul Saga, with this immersive short story anthology featuring an all-star cast of bestselling, award-winning authors.

From deep beneath the surface of Azeroth, a mysterious voice cries out for heroes. But before these brave souls heed the call, they must answer to their own voices within . . . .

• Anduin’s wanderings at last lead him to the solitude he seeks, until his peace is shattered in a heartrending tale by Christie Golden.
  • Andrew Robinson takes Gazlowe to a struggling goblin city, where he aims to inspire its citizens to more worthy ambitions.
  • Thrall grapples with his son’s coming of age in a heartfelt story by Jonathan Maberry about what it means to love and let go.
  • Delilah Dawson gives voice to Alleria Windrunner, desperate to connect with her son in a tense, bittersweet journey home.

These tales—besides more from Catherynne M. Valente and Courtney Alameda—portray the poignant, introspective moments set to proceed World of Warcraft’s highly anticipated The War Within expansion. As these larger-than-life heroes grapple with their next steps, a greater threat looms, one that will lead them to raise arms again to fight for the fate of Azeroth. Despite the chasm of varied backgrounds, allegiances, and choices that divide them, these tales prove that even in the darkest times, home unites us all.

• Release Date: November 5, 2024
12 Likes

I’m excited about Alleria’s story and Anduin’s. Thanks for the share! Glazlowe should be interesting if he ends up taking over Undermine.

14 Likes

You’re welcome :ok_hand:

Kezan involvement would be awesome but the way it’s phrased (“a struggling Goblin city”) makes me think it will be about Bilgewater Harbor. In any case, actual, serious Goblin worldbuilding is something that’s sorely needed, so that’s good

15 Likes

This is something i cna get behind- various leaders and characters getting spotlight. Especially ones like Gazlowe who have had gery little since becoming leader!

Im intrigued on which city he is referring to- and who the other two characters unannounced are. I assume they’ll be one more horde and one more alliance.

Maybe the Dracthyr leads?

5 Likes

It’s nice we’re getting perspectives from both factions going into the next expansion, instead of strictly an alliance PoV which most books usually are.

I’m excited about all the stories, and especially curious about Thralls relationship with his now teenage kid. Perhaps Thralls kid will be seen alongside Dagran, since he’s a teen now too in TWW?

1 Like

These stories sound very interesting, especially that Gazlowe one. This is something I’m looking forward to. That release date is interesting too, are these stories coming out before or after the expansion releases? The suspected release date has been September or October, November is cutting it close. These stories feel like prologue material so the expansion release might’ve been pushed back.

2 Likes

Sigh. What lore are they going to mess up now?

8 Likes

man…you’d think for the War Within, ‘the’ dwarf themed expansion, and considering they are involved in the plot, you’d think one of these would be about Dagran Jr, his coming of age and dealing with the prospect of ruling Ironforge and two normally rival clans and how this ties into him going to Khaz Algar rather thean a story about Gazlowe of all people

4 Likes

I mean these are SOME of the stories, at the very least there will be 6, will be part of this collection. I expect at least 1 dwarf one.

On the one hand, I am glad we are getting anthologies again because I always felt they were important to fleshing out the world. On the other, I sort of miss having free anthologies the like of Cata/Mist. Oh well.

5 Likes

Wonder what “home” refers to in this instance. Stormwind? Dalaran? Honor Hold? Greater Azeroth? Or are they setting up the dreaded neutral Silvermoon this far in advance?

11 Likes

“Who?” Some blizzard dev probably.

Seriously though they do need to start working on the new generation and just let these old ones, even those I knew, retire and fade into the background.

1 Like

We do know hes in The War Within, so they havnt forgotten about him. I recall some statement about how the time skip was to allow these younger characters to grow up and be shown more.

I would not be surprised if one of the two(or more) unannounced stories involves a dwarf character. Im eager to see what other characters might get one.

5 Likes

I do hope one of the stories involves Moira and Dagren. I always been curious what the dark irons been up to lately, especially since the time skip. They been super helpful in saving the world since they started helping us around WoD.

4 Likes

While I agree that the Dwarves should have some focus, how about if we replace one of the Aliance stories instead? Goblins don’t get a lot of story focus either, and that way we’d keep the faction balance.

3 Likes

I want nothing to do with that union busting class-traitor.

Or the woman who betrayed her kingdom for that sweet, sweet human “potential”.

1 Like

“Ah yes, my favorite Elf with a Mortal Fetish… that one is the reason I’m stuck helping the alliance instead of back with my friends in the Horde…” Said Nightsong as she conveniently ignored her own very mortal love waiting for her back amongst the Horde. “Because it isn’t weird that all of those sisters decided to hook up with humans… so bloody strange that be.” she said unconsciously slipping into a more desirable cadence.

That was a brief moment of fun. :grin:

3 Likes

Why would they replace the one about Alleria or Anduin, two characters who are suppose to have a huge impact next expansion? And again THERE ARE MORE STORIES. These 4 were highlighted, they are not the only 4 stories of the Anthology.

I wonder if there are just two more since they mentioned those authors; or maybe more than that, with each author writing two or three.

My dream would be one for each leader but that is not gonna happen haha.

Another leader I would like tou hed upon is Rokhan since we havnt really seen him since he became Chieftain.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting lineup, I’m excited for more goblin stuff. Personally I’d be fine with no dwarf story, the more dwarf stuff left to be put actually in the game, the better.

There are 224 pages, assuming at least 14 will be used for credits/appendixes and the like it would be about 210 pages for 6 stories, which average to about 35 pages. Seems too long for a normal Blizzard short story. At a more reasonable 10 stories that averages to 21 pages per story, which seems more typical for a short story anthology akin to Folks and Fairytales.

1 Like