The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

The image isn’t working, but I found the mount you mentioned on Wowhead:

I actually didn’t know there were any crocolisk mounts in the game already. It could work if it’s just the MU Stonemaul Clan. I can’t imagine too many other beasts in or near Dustwallow Marsh that would work as mounts for them.

I do think if the AU Stonemaul Clan join up, it’s more likely we’d see them bring Draenor mounts with them, but a crocolisk mount is still an interesting idea.

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

So you know how Blizzard has talked about loosening the race/class restrictions?

I realize the reclamation of Stonemaul Village could be the perfect starting point to build lore for the more out there options for playable ogres like paladins. For example various Horde classes could arrive to help the Stonemaul reclaim their home, a group of Stonemaul could express in magic they don’t currently have access it, and the class leader in question could agree to take one of the Stonemaul under their wing. Thus even if playable ogres don’t start with the option to be a paladin or druid, the story seed for them having the class is present to be built up.

For bonus points if the Blood Knights are involved, it could be a call back to the Stonemaul allowing Balandar Brightstar to live with them after his ship crashed. He’s now helping them reclaim their home and recruited some of his blood knights friends for the task.

4 Likes

I could see some classes opening up after Ogres become playable, but at launch, I would expect it to be a little bit restricted within reason. I know that a lot of them, like Paladins and Druids, would require a lot of resources for mounts, Druid forms, and so on.

Speaking of, Ogre Druids might be a bit of a headache to design. Druid forms would likely be need to be made with one and two head designs, depending on how many heads the Ogre has, and this would need to be done for each form and any alternative forms you could transmog into. It’d be about twice the work compared to other races, I’m sure.

Not impossible to see Ogre Druids and other classes open up in the future. I just know that playable Ogres would require a lot of resources to begin with, and I could definitely see more classes added later on as more race/class options become less restrictive.

If we ever do get playable Horde Ogres, I will want to make sure to thank any Blizzard employees who worked on designing and getting them playable. I can’t imagine it being easy. Especially if they get two head customization options working.

4 Likes

I don’t think they would change the druid forms to be both one and/or two heads. The tusks you have as a Troll do not match your animal form so I doubt they’d go through the trouble of doing an ogres head. I like the idea but I don’t see Blizz doing it.

Plus, they are giving us a lot of reskins so their priority is just to get something out and not something that is more appreciated/wanted. The little things do matter though so even allowing the animal forms, on all races, to support the player customizations goes a long way. That’s for future reference if Blizz ever wants to stop by. :wink:

+1,000 Ogre Druids

4 Likes

That has me wondering if we got the option for two heads, will each head be customizable on their own or will the two head combos come as a set?

3 Likes

Speaking of Gronns and other Breakers, I really hope the ones who joined the Horde back in BFA show up in Orgrimmar one day. And like, not only in times of war, but just walking around in the Hall of the Brave, alongside the other Mag’har

It’s so cool that we have nearly the entire Grond lineage in the Horde !!! Now let’s try not to forget about them for 15 years lol

(Having sapient races like Gronns/Gronnlings as racial mounts would feel off though. I know they already exist as regular mounts and Wyverns and Dragons are as sentient as any of the playable races but like… yeah idk)

1 Like

If they go through the trouble of doing two heads I expect to be able to change both separately. None of this two different eye color nonsense. That bugs me that they give you two eye colors but you can’t pick which two colors. :angry:

I just pictured walking around Orgrimmar as NPC and player Ogres walk past me. Me sad. :frowning_face:

And then I remember playing the new starting area and being able to play an Ogre. Me very sad. :cry:

Now I log into game and see we STILL do not have playable Ogres. :sob:

+Infinity for playable Ogres.

5 Likes

The best case scenario would be to have a two head option where you can customization both heads separately. It seems like Blizzard has been moving towards letting you customize different aspects of your character instead of having them linked, like with Worgen and their two forms being able to be edited seperately and likely the same case with Dracthyr.

I don’t really see why it couldn’t be made to allow both heads to be separately customizable. I mean, WoW’s coding likely looks like a spaghetti version of Frankenstein, but I’d hope it wouldn’t be impossible to it that way.

If I were to make a guess, it would likely just be a separate character customization option that they designate what parts get designed and how. Obviously, it’s likely harder than it sounds, but given that we can transmog shoulders separately, it could be very possible to do it that way…at least, I hope so.

Hard to know what would happen realistically, but I’d hope for the best so that all Ogre fans would be satisfied in making the Ogre character of their dreams.

Now that you mention it, I’m wondering where the Mag’har keep the beasts and Gronn from Draenor. You don’t see them at all in Orgrimmar and they popped up to be numerous during BfA when areas become under attack by the opposite faction. It isn’t like they’re kept in Pokéballs, so where do they keep them?

And there is the question of what happened to the AU Stonemaul Clan Ogres. I wonder if that will ever get addressed at all…

Still frustrating to this day. All we can really do is keep at it with the support and march onward. Hopefully, we’ll see playable Horde Ogres become a reality someday.

6 Likes

That’s the secret Mag’har racial only shared by the NPCs, Summon the Breakers.

6 Likes

If we got Ogre Druids do you think the flight form should be able to have one passenger? I feel like they should since Ogres are so big why wouldn’t their flight form be able to accommodate one other player and it would encourage a little more social interaction.

4 Likes

I feel like all races should get a flight form that has two options, one for a smaller animal and one for a larger animal that can hold another player. Currently night elves can do this through their base flight form and the Legion class hall mount for druids, which is a giant night elf bird that lets you have a passenger. Other races can use that big bird too but it’s not racially thematic. There’s plenty of room to expand and allow that for other races though, for example Kalimdor tauren could have access to their regular eagle and a wyvern, or Highmountain tauren could have access to their regular eagle and a larger eagle like the ones that the Skyhorn tribe uses (and while we’re at it, give Horde players those giant eagles as a mount).

5 Likes

On this note, I would love it if the two seater flight form was a separate form instead of something you have to pick at the barber, like how the ground mountable travel form is a separate skill.

The way the ground one works right now, I can select the mountable form as my non-mountable form if I want to have that form but not be mountable.

Meanwhile for flying, I have to select Lunarwing form as my only flying form to be mountable at all, and there’s no way to be a non-mountable Lunarwing. It’s just clunky and backwards by comparison to the ground travel form situation.

4 Likes

Yeah, I never understood why we could get ground mounts that let us have a passenger but no flight form.

And I did not know NE’s had that ability nor that the Lunarwing form could do it. But I did not like the owl to begin with so either never got it or never used it.

Thanks for the 411

4 Likes

A Druid flight form where you can have a passenger or two would be neat. I imagine it wouldn’t be something given to you, but having something you can unlock in a questline you can do solo would be pretty fun to look into. I suspect it would be done that way so it doesn’t completely invalidate multi-seated mounts in general and also be some sort of prestige flight form.

If we’re talking about Ogre Druids, it might be a good time to talk about what would be their Druid forms if they were ever to be a combination, just for fun. While I don’t see that combination easily, it is a possibility if we saw race/class combinations continue to loosen. Anyone have any ideas?

5 Likes

A boar form of some sort would make sense. Ogres, as far as I remember, aren’t associated that often with animals, but I do remember The Butcher in Highmaul having a few by his side.

With their flight form, I’m going to go into the realm of “very unlikely” here, but hear me out: a moth. Why? They’re the only winged animal I can recall that Ogres have ever had association with. As per the description of the Royal Moth in the in-game pet journal:

“Their deep purple wings are highly sought after by ogre magi believing that they can bring prolonged life when added to potions.”

Is it a likely flight form for Ogres? No, probably not. It would be interesting though, at any rate.

Failing the moth idea, I assume any sort of large, winged creature would at least make some sense. I’d have to imagine Ogre Druid forms would be at least a little bit larger than other the forms of other Druids.

6 Likes

Makes me wonder if I should consider Draenor boars as a possible Hunter pet for Ogres since a lot of the AU Ogre Clans used them as combat pets. Sure, the MU Stonemaul Clan don’t use them, but the AU Stonemaul Clan likely did and it is possible they could’ve brought some back with them for mounts and hunter pets while training the MU Stonemaul Clan how to handle them.

Just another thing to consider. A lot will really depend on if Blizzard remembers the AU Stonemaul Clan and integrates them with the MU Stonemaul Clan. Hopefully that does happen so you can have regular Ogre and AU Ogre designs in several things. It just gives a lot more potential with how people want their Ogre to look and act like.

4 Likes

I’d either call my Ogre Druid Mothra if we got moth flight form or most likely just use a glyph to change it since I don’t want that form on my ogre, lol.

As far as boars go, they are walking around with them in WoD so boars could work as pets or animal forms. Could also be one of those giant worms since I saw a lot of them in WoD too but I don’t remember seeing Ogres with them.

We also have mammoths, basilisk, cleefthooves, chimera, riverbeasts, scalehides or maybe even core hounds. I think they should have bigger animal forms since they are suppose to be bigger humanoids. Only problem is do we ever see them with any animals besides boars? I can’t remember seeing with any other animal off the top of my head.

4 Likes

Clefthoof could work, since they’re native to Draenor, but I avoided things like Mammoths because they’re native to Azeroth. Specifically Northrend in the case of Mammoths, where we don’t see too many Ogres, so I thought that might be a little odd.

Maybe not though, since the Ogres would be living on Azeroth. So it’s still possible they could shift to Azerothian wildlife for their forms.

4 Likes

Some of the Gordunni Clan Ogres use hyenas as combat pets, if I recall correctly. The only way I’d see this being of significance is if Blizzard went with the multiple clan route for playable Ogres and the Gordunni Clan was one of them. Granted, the Barrens is close to Dustwallow Swamp and there are hyenas there, so I suppose it could be a possibility for the MU Stonemaul Clan. Beasts in Feralas could be an argument, thinking about it. Really depends on what clans make up the playable Ogre faction and where the starting racial hub would be.

With regards to the Gordunni and multiple clans idea, character creation would need to differentiate what clan your Ogre is from to determine a starting Hunter pet, since each clan would have different hunter starting pets. Not sure on the chances of that being a feature, however. It is a cool idea to think about, though.

5 Likes

I’m thinking they won’t do clans. The Orcs were perfect for them to do clans but all you have is different skins to represent those clans. And Orcs clans are far more well known then Ogre clans especially since they are mentioned in the books and in game.

Of course Blizz has done many things I found to be weird decisions so I wouldn’t rule it out but I think it is highly unlikely. I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth though if we did get that only I’d be asking for Orc clans if that did happen and I know other players that like Orcs would be also. Probably more aggressively then me too which could be bad.

To each their own.

4 Likes