The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

And sneks :snake::snake::snake::snake:

2 Likes

Saurok for the Horde!

:meat_on_bone: :crocodile:

1 Like

Yep! Sethrak as well! Hopefully they and Saurok will appear on that character creation screen someday. The reptilian races in WoW all have unique things and good variety to them that would add a lot to the game! :lizard: :snake: :turtle: :dragon:

:meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

It was recently discovered that an Exploring Azeroth: Northrend book is in the works and is available for preorder on Amazon US. It is currently scheduled to come out October 18th, 2022. Wowpedia has a page for it here:

Obviously, little would involve Saurok there (a bit too cold for them), but with this book being a third in the series, Iā€™m beginning to feel like we could see Exploring Azeroth: Pandaria someday! Iā€™ve talked about such a possibility before, but I figured I would again. :panda_face:

Pandaria is a continent rich with lore and stories in general. It feels like something that would work really well with the format of the Exploring Azeroth books. There are also a number of denizens that would be great to see how theyā€™ve been doing since we left Pandaria as well.

Obviously, this would be of great Saurok interest, since there are a number of tribes on Pandaria. Not to mention that many of the Pandaren have tried to make peace with some of the tribes, so it would be cool to see that happen with at least one tribe. There could also be other things on Saurok, such as different tribe cultures and so on.

Since weā€™d see an Isle of Thunder section, Iā€™m curious if weā€™d get an update on the Skumblade Tribe. Theyā€™re more of an antagonist tribe, but they were growing and becoming a threat at one point. Then again, Nesingwary tamed the son of Kros and several of the Skumblade were transported in cages to Orgrimmar thanks to Garroshā€¦I wonder what ever happened to them? Ah well, there are other tribes of Saurok that would get better treatment in Orgrimmar if the chance ever occurred.

Iā€™d also be curious to see what is said of the Mogu, since we kinda left the three clans warring among each other. I feel like they could still become a pretty big antagonist someday, which would be great to see implemented in playable Saurok storylines. I canā€™t imagine much good coming from leaving the Mogu unchecked.

As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities. If such a book ever gets planned, we might not see it until next year at the earliest. However, I feel like itā€™d be the most likely of the next Exploring Azeroth books, which would be exciting for me.

Granted, at least with Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor, there were a lot of lore inconsistencies, which wouldnā€™t surprise me with future books. Hopefully, they wouldnā€™t just be all ā€œAnd then the Saurok went RAWR cause they are teh angries!ā€ with them, but who knows? Itā€™d still be worth investigating.

If Exploring Azeroth: Pandaria becomes a thing, Iā€™ll be sure to get it ASAP and report my findings on it. Always an exciting time to add to my Saurok research! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Furbolg furbolg furbolg!

Their city it there!

1 Like

Indeed! Exploring Azeroth: Northrend could be of interest for several race request megathreads. Taunka, Sanā€™layn, and Furbolg come to mind, and itā€™ll be interesting to read up on how other denizens of Northrend are doing. Moreso with the continent having been infested with undead thanks to the Helm of Domination shattering.

Iā€™m definitely looking forward to getting it and helping report stuff of interest with each respective megathread! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

Something I forgot to mention regarding Dracthyr is regarding armor appearances. While their humanoid form will wear all types of mail armor, the dragonkin form will only have armor showing from the shoulder, tabard, and belts currently:

ā€œYou can even slightly change your torso to be like slightly more slender or slightly bulkier; and the armor that you wear is a type of armor that you will be able to customize at the Barbershop, too. So Dracthyr, I think theyā€™ll also be able to wear shoulders, tabards, belts across their visage and Dracthyr form. While the visage form is able to wear all-armor.ā€

Bit of a disappointment. I imagine if Dracthyr did eventually get more classes, the limitations would likely still be there. It sounds like the armor that shows for the dragonkin form might be specific to Dracthyr, based on the barbershop comment, as opposed to transmogs you find that other races can transmog. Iā€™ll have to keep an eye out for clarification.

In a way, it does make them a bit more unique I suppose. With Saurok, theyā€™re something that all armor slots should be able to show. If anything, maybe the feet slot would be wrappings similar to how most boots look on Trolls, Tauren, and Worgen. And while I think it has been shown that Sethrak can wear helms, I wonder if theyā€™d have a helm graphic in playable form or not. Ideally, all equipment slots with appearances would show up on both Saurok and Sethrak.

As we go through alphas and betas of Dragonflight, Iā€™ll be sure to share anything regarding Dracthyr customization options and such when Blizzard allows it. We might find some things that could give some Saurok customization idea inspiration! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

I hope they pay proper attention to how bad the Scourge is supposed to be.

Not just in that book but by the end of SLs.

Honestly they could maybe assuage some of that if they say Zovaals actions and death affected the Scourge keeping them from totally going nuts.

But it should still be bad, and there should be stories.

In my own rp/fanfic most of my toons remained on Azeroth to defend it and only a few with reason actually go to the SLs.

1 Like

A lot depends on when the book is suppose to take place. I think the Eastern Kingdoms book takes place near the end of BfA while Kalimdor takes place right after BfA. I imagine if Northrend took place during Shadowlands or even slightly afterwards, there would be quite a bit of undead swarming around, preventing exploration.

I would guess Exploring Azeroth: Pandaria could take place during Dragonflight onward. Really depends on what all is going on and if there is some big world (of Warcraft!) ending event going on.

Generally speaking, we may see how bad the Scourge is in 9.2.5 to a smaller extent. Likely, itā€™ll be focused on smaller areas. Kinda surprised that Ghostlands wasnā€™t infested with them, let alone the Blood Elves not doing much of anything with Deatholme, seeing as Scourge could easily move in and cause problems. Go figure.

I can still imagine the denizens banding together on Pandaria to fight off the undead. Some Saurok tribes could as well, and if so, maybe it could finally open negotiations between them and the Pandarens. Maybe weā€™ll see that someday, if rumors of eventually returning to Pandaria in some fashion come true.

Hopefully whatever happens, weā€™ll see Saurok on the Horde side of that character creation screen in the near future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

A little bit of story info of Dracthyr has come out, along with a couple of WoWpedia pages of a general info and a playable version of them.

"The dracthyr were created in the ancient past by the black Dragon Aspect Neltharion, who combined the essence of dragons with the adaptability of the mortal races to create a race of ideal soldiers.

Neltharion crafted the Forbidden Reach off the coast of the Dragon Isles to serve as the dracthyr soldiersā€™ training ground, but after a terrible battle, the island laid dormant and abandoned for ages. Recently, however, the return of an ancient enemy caused the dracthyr to stir, and they now seek to forge their own path in Azeroth by joining both the Alliance and the Horde."

Bit of an interesting parallel between them and Saurok in a way. Dracthyr were created from dragon essences and mortals (in some fashion) while Saurok were given form thanks to the fleshshaping magic the Mogu used. I doubt Netharion would have used the Dracthyr for benevolent and altruistic purposes, so both he and the Mogu were more or less creating slave soldiers to be used for nefarious purposes.

Iā€™ve mentioned before that several themes of reptilian races seem to have them been used as slaves. Iksar (Everquest) and Argonians (Elder Scrolls) are big examples, and now we have Saurok and Dracthyr to also add to that list. At least all of them have gotten their freedom in a way.

I would guess Saurok would likely be good friends with the Dracthyr, since they have similar backstories. I could see them forming quite the bond over it and sharing stories. I can also imagine Dracthyr using their fire breath in order to cook meat, likely making Saurok pretty happy and jealous.

Maybe we could see a big BBQ party in Orgrimmar someday! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

The Dracthyr were made before he fell to the Whispers of the Old Gods it seems. Though given they are soldiers Iā€™d also guess theyā€™re unlikely to be used benevolently. Still though the Earth Warder was once a staunch defender of Azeroth. Perhaps they were meant to help the Titans warriors across the world. Before the thing happened.

1 Like

How do you feel about dracthyr?

Iā€™m excited for Dracthyr, though some features of them are rather disappointing. They donā€™t satisfy my yearning for a playable Lizardman race, since I view Lizardmen to be very different from Dragon races, but I do think it helps to open the possibilities of playable Sethrak and Saurok in the future.

Iā€™ve mentioned some of the Dracthyr features Iā€™m disappointed in the Sanā€™layn megathread. I have been thinking of typing overall thoughts here, though as I said, I am excited to see them become playable. I already have a couple names picked out, general scale colors to go with both, and have been considering what faction to go with them. Likely both Horde.

I still firmly believe that there can be multiple reptilian races on that character creation screen. After all, if we can have multiple flavors of Elf, Dwarf, and such, why would reptiles be an exception? Moreso when Dracthyr, Sethrak, and Saurok would all be unique in several ways.

Iā€™ll likely make a post in the near future to try to elaborate my thoughts more. Not disappointed at all with Dracthyr of course. I just hope they arenā€™t viewed as the definitive reptilian race to ever be on the character creation screen, since Sethrak and Saurok would be amazing as playable races still. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

I dont think you need to be scared at all that dracthyr will be the definitive reptilian race, I am sure they arent that short sighted.

Though take no offense to this, I think you put a lot of projection onto saurok, mostly in what you want them to be.

For all intents and purposes, they currently are a barely civilized race with severe aggression issues and rub poo on their body.

Maybe request a brand new race? Would you be happy with drakenoids? Or does that fall into dragons not be lizardmen scenario?

I know you mentioned before you know this and you want them to become more, but do you really want a race that has this history?

There is only one tribe of Saurok that rolls in filth, which would be the Skumblade Tribe, who are firmly an antagonistic NPC tribe. To my knowledge, no other Saurok tribe does that, and I canā€™t imagine them being let into a temple or working as pirates if they smell like a latrine. It isnā€™t something that all Saurok Tribes do or would do.

The thing with Saurok is that they would need to be fleshed out, which isnā€™t impossible. Gilgoblins are a big example, where they use to just be all male mooks who were aggressive, only cared about shinies, and had the depth of a rain drop on concrete. Then we came across the Kelfin, who were much more fleshed out, pretty awesome, and still a good candidate for a playable race. The same goes with other races who became playable and became something different than how they were presented as NPC races, like the Dark Iron Dwarves. Why would Saurok be an exception?

As it stands, Iā€™m supporting Saurok specifically for playable Saurok. Yes, they do need fleshing out, but as I said, it isnā€™t impossible to work with them. A lot of what I type would be examples showing what you could do with them, though it isnā€™t set in stone.

And no, Drakenoids wouldnā€™t satisfy me either since they would fall more on the dragon part of it as opposed to the Lizardman side of the spectrum. I donā€™t really see another Dragon race past Dracthyr, since they seem to fill that role.

I see a lot of potential with Saurok, not just because I want them, but with several aspects of them Iā€™ve talked about here. What I do isnā€™t a guarantee weā€™ll see them playable, but you never know if something could come from it. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Huh?

One tribe does anything of the sort.

The rest while we get little about them are not mindless brutes. Simple in culture and civilization standards sure, but they organize can clearly move from land to land, they can speak, and apparently work as fine crewmen on pirate ships.

Itā€™d be like being upset the worgen are playable. lol

Draconids are not happening with the Dracthyr existing most likely. It would be two dragon races.

I can see a dragon race, a lizard race a snake race and a turtle race, but two of the same type of vaguely reptilian race? Much less plausible.

Besides the Draconids are only ever encountered as threatsā€¦ so whats the difference between them and Saurok anyways?

I want exactly the race I am requesting when I request a race.

This.

This.

All of this.

Saurok for the Horde!

2 Likes

With the end of April coming up and May starting, weā€™re getting closer to our 3 year anniversary (June 2nd)!

It still feels like not a lot of time has gone by. Almost 3 years ago, I decided to brave the forums to try and support playable Horde Saurok with this megathread. While we didnā€™t see that in BfA, weā€™re still going strong and from what I can tell, growing steadily.

Itā€™s interesting to see that support for playable Saurok seems to have been growing on the forums in general. I use to not see them get mentioned much. But as time has gone on, Iā€™ve seen more talk about them on the forums outside of this thread of people wanting to see them playable. I canā€™t say Iā€™m the sole reason for that happening, but it would be cool if I inspired people to gain an interest in them.

Not to mention that this megathread and various images throughout all the posts appear on Google web searches involving Saurok. Weā€™ve even gotten a few visitors that came across this megathread from finding it listed on web searches. Granted, when looking up ā€œSaurok allied raceā€ on Google, this megathread is nested underneath another forum post with a title that has those words in it. Other searches, though? Leads to this megathread linked as one of the top results.

Iā€™m happy Iā€™ve lead the charge for playable Saurok and Ogres on the Horde. Canā€™t say weā€™ll definitely see either happening, but Iā€™m still glad for doing what Iā€™m doing. And who knows? Maybe weā€™ll be lucky someday. After all, Magā€™har Orcs and Dark Iron Dwarves were requested since Cataclysm and they became playable in BfA. If Blizzard is open to player requests, maybe weā€™ll get considered someday.

As for the actual anniversary, I havenā€™t thought of doing anything special, aside from some fun forum posts, since I canā€™t really plan anything out in particular, much as Iā€™d love to do a Saurok event of some kind in-game. Maybe someday if anyone has any particular interest. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Almost three years and still going strong! Iā€™ll continue to dream of seeing Saurok players running around Orgrimmar as champions of the Horde someday! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen mentions of Saurok on Twitter too more than before.

Iā€™ll keep supporting this until Ssisko can finally hunt alongside the Horde and taste of all the culinary delights the world (of Warcraft) has to offer.

Saurok for the Horde!

2 Likes

Agreeeeeed! Need more bestial races!

:lizard: & :snake:

3 Likes

If you happen to see any particular tweets supporting playable Saurok, could you link some here? I think it would be great to share them here to show how others are supporting them. :lizard:

Itā€™s good to hear playable Saurok support has been appearing on other platforms. I donā€™t use Twitter or other forms of social media, so I donā€™t really see much of that sadly. Maybe I should make a Twitter account so I can evolve the playable Saurok/Ogre Horde support.

I think looking at other avenues and such would be good to do, given weā€™ve been at it for quite awhile. Spreading the word could increase our support and grow interest as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like