The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

I am all for new races/classes/professions in the game.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still keeping hope that Blizzard looks at the race request megathreads in general with an open mind. Saurok have such versatility and a lot to add to the game as a playable Horde race, and I try my best to showcase that through this megathread. Seeing Saurok get utilized some in BfA and seeing that Saurok spirit in Shadowlands gives me a bit of hope that theyā€™re not forgotten at least.

I do remain firm that the Horde is the best faction for them. Their backstory fits the Horde theme very well, and I see them getting treated better and having a lot more potential as part of the Horde than on the Alliance. While it is how I personally feel, it just makes much more sense to me to have them as a Horde when I examine them as a whole.

As for Mogu, my own personal opinion is that they are better suited as an antagonistic NPC race. I know they get requested quite a bit to become playable, but I worry a lot about if they did become playable and if they somehow got put on the Horde. I canā€™t see Saurok being on the same faction as Mogu, but if Saurok became a playable Horde race, I could see a clan of Mogu on the Alliance side which would make for some interesting faction tension. If I at least got playable Horde Saurok, Iā€™d be more open minded, but as I said, itā€™s how I personally feel and worry that it would affect playable Saurok in some way if the focus were on Mogu becoming playable first. No offense to anyone wantring playable Mogu, of course.

As I mentioned, all the above is my own personal opinion. I try to be open minded, but I just feel very strongly about playable Horde Saurok is all. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m on board for both Sethrak and Saurok as playable races. One for Horde and one for Alliance. Alliance desperately needs more non-human faces.

3 Likes

Wowhead posted a neat article showing that it has been nine years since Mists of Pandaria came out on September 25th, 2012:

Time really does fly, doesnā€™t it?

I consider MoP to be my favorite expansion, and not just because Saurok are a part of it. When I first started playing WoW shortly after BC launched, one of the races I wanted to become playable was Pandaren, where I wanted to make a Male Pandaren Shaman.

Seeing that cinematic trailer was really exciting, as well as seeing the preview trailer where one of my most wanted races become playable. Not to mention having made the character I wanted, along with a few other Pandaren characters much later on. I remember Blizzard allowed us to make Pandaren characters for anyone, even if you didnā€™t own the expansion. I got my Pandaren Shaman through the Pandaren starting area and into the Horde as I waited for my physical copy to arrive in the mail to be able to make my Monk. It was a cool decision I was thankful for.

The Monk class was also pretty cool to see, especially as a base class. It was really exciting to see a new class that started at level 1, and I made a female Blood Elf Monk at the time, eventually making a few more Monk characters to add into my army of alts. New classes are something I feel like have a low chance of ever happening again in WoW, much as I do like seeing them. At least new playable races are a possibility going forward.

Now for Saurok, I saw them and was pretty excited to see them since it was the first instance of an actual Lizardman race in Warcraft. Of course, seeing their role in the expansion at first made me think they were a ā€œone and doneā€ mook race with little chance of becoming playable. A race that would appear once and then never again while being treated as quest jobbers. I put them on my internal wishlist and hoped that somehow, they could become playable someday, as much of a pipe dream it was.

Of course, we got the allied race system in BfA and they started appearing in different places, and thus I came here to help support them for being a playable Horde race while trying to show off their potential. Nine years of hope still going strong of a pipe dream that has evolved into something a bit more!

If you want to go down memory lane, Iā€™ll share two trailers for MoP. First is the cinematic trailer:

And the preview trailer showing the features of MoP:

One of the rumors going around for a potential future expansion is a possible return to Pandaria. I donā€™t know what the actual chances of that happening is, aside from brief revisits like at the end of BfA, but if such a thing happened, Iā€™d be curious to see how things are going there, as well as seeing what the Saurok tribes are up to. If such a thing happens, you can bet Iā€™ll be doing some serious Saurok research! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

I agree. Sethraks in the alliance would be a very welcome balm that would bring more sense of appreciation and value to the blue faction.
Although it is difficult for sethraks to appear in the alliance, given their lack of development with the alliance.

It would be nice to have them on the ally, but the horde is more viable with the story we have now.

Sethrak and Sauroks at this point have more future to join the horde playable race group.

As for the alliance, Iā€™m sure the devs will go out of their way to create a race of wood gnomes, orange blood elves and more human with some graceful physical attribute that everyone will either ignore or hate.

2 Likes

WOW can use a lizard race. Warhammer has lizardmen which is a large race with quite a few subraces. Elderscroll has one too. Divinity games also has it.

While i donā€™t think that Blizz will be that diligent to create a ā€œlizardmenā€ race of wow, the least it can do is to create one lizard race, being it Saurok or not, that is good looking and polished.

Or just create a dragon race. It is lizardlike and also a dragon as to satisfy two grouos of people.

1 Like

I remembered Chief Salyis and his boys.

2 Likes

The thing about a dragonkin race of some sort is that I view them differently than a lizardman race. Sure, theyā€™re both reptiles, but theyā€™re completely different species with different aesthetics, personality, and features. There are a lot of differences between Dragonborn and Lizardfolk in D&D, for example, and Iā€™m much more interested in an actual Lizardman race. I wouldnā€™t be satisfied with a Dragonkin race of some sort, especially if it was meant as a compromise to those wanting a Lizardman race. Even if we did get one, like we were rumored to get during Cataclysm (likely meant for Alliance at the time), Iā€™d still want a full on Lizardman race. As long as I could still get Saurok, I wouldnā€™t be opposed to a Dragonkin race. It just doesnā€™t interest me nearly as much as a Lizardman race.

As for a playable Lizardman race in WoW, all they really need to do is to touch up Saurok and write some stuff for them. They already have a great backstory to work with, a theme that fits very well with the Horde, a mortal enemy with the Mogu that works great as an antagonist, a lot of potential customization options, and already exist in the game. Thus, I would hope that Blizzard would just work on them as opposed to bringing in another Lizardman race out of nowhere that would be much different in several ways.

This is just how I honestly feel. Saurok make the most sense for an actual playable Lizardman race for WoW, and I donā€™t really want something else as a compromise. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

The salt that would flow if Sethrak ever gets added as an allied race (when they can only really be Horde) will be HILARIOUS.

2 Likes

h ttps://br.pinterest.com/pin/662873638911317838/?utm_campaign=rdpins&e_t=b48ec4d8c7764b1a86d4756252226c88&utm_source=31&utm_medium=2004&utm_content=662873638911317838&utm_term=5&news_hub_id=5189499938882501726

I hate not being able to link any kind but suffice it to say that this is a beautiful specimen.

2 Likes

https://br.pinterest.com/pin/662873638911317838/?utm_campaign=rdpins&e_t=b48ec4d8c7764b1a86d4756252226c88&utm_source=31&utm_medium=2004&utm_content=662873638911317838&utm_term=5&news_hub_id=5189499938882501726

2 Likes

That link has several really awesome Lizardman related artwork. That General Crocodile warrior image appears to have been made for a card game called ā€œGlimpse of Luna.ā€ They seem to have a bunch of different reptilian races, shown here on their official website:

You can click ā€œLearn moreā€ on each of those reptilian races to see an art piece and more info on them.

And that General Crocodile Warrior image came from DeviantArt, made by ThemeFinland and was uploaded to the DeviantArt website on Nov. 23rd, 2018.

ā€œGeneral Crocodile Warriorā€ by ThemeFinland on DeviantArt

Itā€™s a pretty awesome art piece. Itā€™s also cool to see this being made as an official art piece for that card game.

Thank you for sharing this image! I might have to look into this card game and see what it is like. Not to mention see the cool reptilian races that are in the game! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

That Glimpse of Luna game I mentioned is an upcoming free-to-play card game coming out for PC (unsure of any consoles). You choose one of four factions and build a deck themed around that faction. The Naphas is the reptilian race faction, which you can see some neat artwork in this official video teaser of them:

Iā€™m sure you can guess which faction I would go with. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is quite a bit of awesome artwork of the Naphas out there. that would work very well for Saurok idea inspiration. A cool piece I came across is from ThemeFinlandā€™s twitter account, where they posted an animation that shows the process of a sketch being transformed into in-game artwork here:

It shows a Lizardman in what looks like Roman-inspired garb. Itā€™s pretty cool to see the transformation.

I also found a neat video from the creators of the game, where they go into some detail of how the different members of the Naphas faction name themselves:

Itā€™s an interesting video that I wanted to share in case it helps anyone think of names for potential Saurok characters.

This is something Iā€™ll likely keep an eye out on to see what it is like. You never know what sort of Saurok-idea inspiration could be waiting within! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

If the playable Saurok faction is a matriarchy, then I want to see this Simpsons scene referenced somehow:

Even if it isnā€™t a matriarchy, it would make for a good joke or reference somewhere. It is a fairly memorable quote from the show. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Happy Sauroktober everyone! :lizard:

Iā€™ll be trying to do some various posts throughout the month. I havenā€™t quite figured out what type of posts, but Iā€™ll see if I can figure something other. If anyone has stuff they want to post throughout the month, please feel free to! :smiley:

As much as I want to do an in-game Orgrimmar Saurok event, similar to the Vulpera Foxtober events, my free time is a bit unreliable that I canā€™t reliably set up a specific time and plan for it, though when if I find a time to reliable do such an event, Iā€™ll be sure to post it in here. Iā€™m hoping that will change in the near future when I hopefully find employment. As I said before, being a responsible adult can be annoying at times. -o -

In the meantime, enjoy this dancing lizard:

Likely, that is how I would be in front of my computer screen if you put official confirmation of playable Horde Saurok on it. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

I came across a neat sketch on DeviantArt of the Skumblade banner you can see in-game, as well as in the main post of this megathread. This sketch was created by azerothin365days and was uploaded to DeviantArt on June 26, 2017.

ā€œSkumblade tribe - Isle of Thunderā€ by azerothin365days on DeviantArt

If you want to compare to how it looks in-game, here is a screenshot I took:

While I donā€™t view the Skumblade tribe as a possibility for the playable Saurok faction for several reasons, this has so far been the only Saurok related banner I could find in-game at the moment that could work well as at least a base for designing a playable Saurok banner. I havenā€™t seen any other Saurok tribes with a banner, though I assume if there were, they might be similar to this one if not just the same model and colors.

Showing off the sketch of the banner helps to see the banner from a different point-of-view. It is possible that a playable Saurok faction could use this banner and also a tabard with its design. Itā€™s also possible to see a different emblem or color scheme for it altogether. Seeing the banner in another light helps with the idea inspiration in that regard.

Whatever the playable Saurok banner would be, I want to get one made so I can put it in the Orgrimmar embassy. There is plenty of space there for it! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

Support for Saurok! Hopefully we see our lizard friends playable soon.

3 Likes

While Iā€™d hope their banner ends up representing however many tribes join the Horde, that is a nice banner.

Ssisko would be proud to wear it as he tastes and hunts all the meals of Azeroth.

3 Likes

That is indeed a neat banner, I agree entirely! I do hope we see it in Org someday.

2 Likes

I hope so as well. As Iā€™ve mentioned before, if Saurok went the allied race routeā€¦

There is plenty of room in the embassy for their banner and also the banner of other new allied races! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes