The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! 🐊

Saurok. Yes. Sethrak. Hel no. The defining characteristic of a snake is that is has no limbs, a simple bipedal lizard person is imo preferable.

I disagree.

Though I want both.

6 Likes

The only time I encourage greed.

2 Likes

I see no reason why we can’t have both Saurok and Sethrak, even if they were both on the Horde.

As I said before, they’re completely different in looks, personality, and culture. I don’t see why getting one playable would rule the other out from ever becoming playable. Besides, we have multiple versions of elves, orcs, humans, dwarves, etc. Why would multiple reptilian races be an issue when one is lizard based and the other is snake based? They’re completely different animals.

I say the more the merrier, and as it stands right now, the character creation screen is lacking in playable reptilian races. With any luck, we’ll see Saurok on the Horde side and Sethrak on either side. That way, they’ll both bring unique character customizations and roleplaying opportunities!

Let’s get some reptiles on that character creation screen! :snake: :crocodile: :turtle:

3 Likes

This is so not true.

Striped Legless lizard(Delma Impar) | Melbourne | Akash Samuel | Flickr

Lialis burtonis [Burton’s Legless Lizard] | Lialis burtonis … | Flickr

Two different species of vastly different legless lizards.

Not to mention. Sethrak are humanoid. Which literally means a being or creature that is humanlike in shape.

Sethrak are snake people.

Saurok are lizard (with spash of crocodilian) people.

Sorry, it makes me nuts when people call Sethrak lizards. Nuts nuts nuts. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

There are some legless lizards, but exactly one snake with a single leg that I know of (mutant), unless you count those little claws some of them have near their backside. So while you’re technically correct, it’s still kind of common sense that snakes don’t have legs but lizards do.

I mean I wouldn’t picket if they added them. It just makes me nuts to see a humanoid snake, it’s like cognitive dissonance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I am idiosyncratic and no blizzard will not take my opinion into account, so don’t flame me bro. They’ll just always be goofy to me. There are about 100 more fitting creatures they could have anthro’d before the king cobra, but that’s just my opinion.

People seem to like them. Frankly it’s surprising but it’s a big game and giving as many people what they want as possible would only be a good thing.

2 Likes

I’m not flaming you. Or that is certainly not my intention.

I’m just losing my mind and can’t explain why it irks me so much. :woman_shrugging:

You gotta admit that as far as anthro snakes are concerned, Blizzard did make the best one. That’s my opinion at least. They feel correctly snakelike, even with limbs.

3 Likes

I will readily admit they are light years better than the usual “snake head on a he man body” that we used to see. Actually there’s an old episode of the GI Joe cartoon where Serpentor gets turned into something almost exactly like a sethrak conceptually, so there’s a direct comparison, and yeah Blizzards is so much better.

I only made the flame comment because people get hyped over allied races and I’ve been yelled at a couple times for not properly boarding the train. Nothing personal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel a similar feeling when people tell me that gilgoblins should just be a customization and would be a waste of an allied race slot.

2 Likes

So I’ve mentioned several times the idea of eating meat being very important to Saurok culture. Many species of real life lizards do actually like meat, including different types of monitors. I found a video that shows off just how much monitors really like meat.

It’s a video done by someone who breeds and raises several kinds of reptiles and is very knowledgeable on them. This video in particular shows off feeding them with different types of meat.

Despite some tail whips and a few tense standoffs, no reptiles or humans were harmed and no kerfuffles over food occurs. It was done by a professional who knows what they’re doing and explains a lot of interesting facts during the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZH0rxPYIbw

As you can see, the monitors smell the meat with their tongues and excitedly munch on it. They can actually overeat, so care needs to be taken in how much you actually feed them. They also like to bask in the sun afterwards to digest.

I wanted to share this video to show off how some real life lizards really like meat, which is a concept that would work really well if Saurok culture got fleshed out. It adds a lot of character to them and would work out very well in quests in general as well as cooking recipes they could offer to train to aspiring cooks (all dishes likely requiring meat in some fashion). Perhaps for Winter’s Veil, they could stockpile a whole bunch of different kinds of meat to cook and celebrate the holiday too!

Just something neat I wanted to share. Happy Winter’s Veil to everyone! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy Winter’s Veil! The new presents are pretty awesome for today:

Jingles is a pretty neat lizard pet to get. One of my favorite Winter’s Veil presents for sure! :lizard:

On the subject of Saurok, though I have not really seen much in the way of them celebrating Winter’s Veil, I found what I believe to be a totally accurate recreation of how Saurok would celebrate Winter’s Veil…probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OHD4apQUuQ

Whatever your plans are, have a fun, happy, and safe December! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Happy Holidays! May the Saurok feast well today! We got a raptor present and I thought of the reptilian races we should get. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy holidays and merry Christmas my friends!

3 Likes

So several years ago, Square-Enix apparently did an official poll in 2012, of which I am unsure how it was conducted. Part of it asked players what future race types they wanted to see for Final Fantasy XIV.

The poll in its entirety is on their official forums here:

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/46936

The interesting part comes from the future race poll:

https://i.imgur.com/MkdaJF7.png

I believe the poll was considered a bit biased because of the mention of Viera, the race of bunny women, used as an example for a mammalian demi-beastman race. This was something the producer commented on, stating that it may have caused an unfair advantage in the poll, though FFXIV did see playable Viera in the future as people really wanted them playable.

Now, of interest to this megathread would be the results of those who wanted a reptilian race the most. Sure, the percentages aren’t especially high, but they’re nothing to sneeze at.

I think I’ve seen discussion mention that Square-Enix wouldn’t utilize the poll results as a definitive marketing tool to go by, but the results are still interesting even if it focuses primarily on people who like Final Fantasy XIV’s setting and the Final Fantasy games in general (as opposed to your traditional fantasy setting).

In terms of a fantasy setting, I still view lizardmen as being a staple of playable races. Plenty of people like them, and WoW has long since lacked a lizardman race, which would be really refreshing to see in terms of playable races. I can imagine a lot of marketing buzz and excitement occurring if we actually got both Saurok and Sethrak playable. :lizard: :snake:

For FFXIV in particular, Bangaa have had a presence since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and are still a potential playable race for that game. Not a guarantee we’d see them playable, but if they did become playable, I’d seriously consider checking out the game finally and seeing what all they would do with them design-wise and such. Maybe WoW would compete by finally adding in their own reptilian races to become playable. Win-win for us reptilian fans!

I wanted to share this poll because the results are interesting to see in official polls like this. It’s good to see there are reptilian race fans across several countries. Lizardmen might not be on elf levels of popularity, but they’re still popular in general.

At this point, I’m waiting to see whether FFXIV or WoW gets a playable lizardman race first. Regardless of what happens, I’ll always root for Saurok joining the Horde. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Well folks, we’re almost to 2021! I know it has been a rough year for everyone, but remember that there are no rainbows without rain, so hopefully things will get better in time and we’ll see some sunshine soon!

Horde Saurok support will obviously be continuing through next year. Even though we may not see much in the way of new playable races in the Shadowlands, I still plan to continue to show off my support for playable Horde Saurok as best as I can as we continue to go through expansions.

A few things I have in mind at the moment for the megathread:

More Saurok screenshots, including showing off Saurok in different areas and also some more screenshot stories.

Some revamping of the main post I’ve mentioned a few times. At the moment, I’m thinking of working on the part where I explain why I feel Saurok should join the Horde. I think I could do a bit better in my explanation in that part, so that will likely be my focus.

I may try to organize a small Saurok event in Orgrimmar at a point where people might be free. Not sure when it is a good time to do it, but I’ll consider it in the future. I may try to do more than one if people are interested.

And much much more! Suggestions are also very much welcomed! :lizard:

I also want to thank everyone for their support for Horde Saurok. This megathread has gone swimmingly since its creation, and I appreciate the support of those who visit here.

With that said, Happy New Year! I’ll always continue to dream of the day we see Saurok welcomed in Orgrimmar, and playable Saurok running around the world (of Warcraft!). Hopefully, we’ll get some reptiles on that character creation screen sooner than later! :snake: :crocodile: :turtle:

Have a fun, happy, and safe New Year everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOIq_AAYDwM

As always, more Saurok research and support to continue in 2021! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

Hoping to see some news for Saurok in the upcoming year! Such potential for this cool race ^^

3 Likes

I hope good news for all the races we dream of.

Happy New Year.

2 Likes

Happy new year!

Here’s hoping my Saurok gets to taste the Horde’s varied cuisine this coming year!

2 Likes

Happy new year everyone! Hoping we’ll see the year of the Horde Saurok come sooner than later! :lizard:

I was thinking about Maldraxxus being one of the potential afterlives for Saurok, and one of the main things I can see being appealing for them would be the arena there.

From what I’ve seen, Saurok do like combat. This is particularly shown with the Brinescale Saurok who fight in the arena pit in Freehold a bunch. There is a general belief with some Saurok tribes about showing strength over opponents, and gladiatorial ring is a good place to show that off. In Maldraxxus, there is constant fighting in the Theater of Pain as well as other areas, usually to protect the Shadowlands in some cases.

It’s another reason that Saurok in general would prefer the Horde, since they do have their own arenas and would be more fitting culture-wise than with the Alliance. I imagine there would be plenty of ways Saurok would get to enjoy arenas in different Horde cities and such, both in legal and underground varieties.

Maldraxxus is of course just one potential afterlife for Saurok. There are likely other places they could go, in which I’d be curious to see where they would wind up. As it stands currently, however, they may be getting stuck in the Maw with the current shenanigans going on in the Shadowlands. I know I’d rescue them!

I do wonder where that one Saurok spirit came from and what tribe they were part of. Maybe the Necrolords sweet talk Saurok in general with the fighting and some delicious food to get some to join up. In some cases, it’s hard for me to see some tribes like the Skumblade willingly join up, even if there are some pestilent areas, since most of them believed they were superior to everyone.

Still, it’s good to see Saurok there fighting for an important cause. As I said before, if Saurok are willing to work with others either as pirates or to defend the Shadowlands, I don’t see why some couldn’t fight to protect the world (of Warcraft!). Maybe that one Saurok spirit’s tribe is still around on Azeroth and might be as friendly. Would be interesting to meet them!

Besides, with good food and fun fighting in the Horde (arenas and against enemies in general), I’d say they’d fit right in. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

I fully support this if this is their water walking animation:
https://media.giphy.com/media/FV8nzuvp7pcHu/giphy.gif

7 Likes