The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

Seeing some scourge appear on Pandaria got me thinking some about the Mogu, their form of necromancy, and if they could take advantage of the situation during Shadowlands.

I think that before MoP, the mists around Pandaria prevented any scourge activity on the continent. However, since the mists have long gone, it seems like theyā€™re quite vulnerable to the crazy undead attacks going all over the world (of Warcraft!).

I was thinking of the Mogu Necromancers that are in several different clans and was curious if they might take advantage of the situation in some way to gain power. However, most of what I read is that they dealt with enslaving spirits as opposed to doing much with dead bodies. Granted, some of the scourge I think are spirits, such as banshees. I also learned on WoWpedia that the Mogu mummify their dead, so in theory, there could be Mogu mummies wandering around.

I also thought about the whole anima theme of Shadowlands and remembered that Mogu used animaā€¦kinda. There seems to be a bit of difference between the two.

Shadowlands anima:

And the anima Mogu used:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Anima_(blood_fluid)

A note on the first link says this: ā€œMists of Pandaria featured another substance also known as ā€œanimaā€, though it is unknown precisely how it is related to the substance in Shadowlands, if at all.ā€ So itā€™s unclear if a relationship exists at the moment.

Part of me is wondering if there is something that the Mogu can take advantage of that causes them to gain in power again. I know there were several around still on Pandaria and other areas, and it seems like they could get something out of all the chaos. Seems like it would be an interesting way to get them to become villains again.

Not to mention that if they did get in power again, theyā€™d likely be hunting the Saurok, possibly to rip their spirits out of them and force them into servitude that way. Itā€™s something that I feel would make for a good story to pave the way of Saurok being more willing to work with others in order to actually survive.

Iā€™ve also seen some speculation and discussion here and there, without much in the way of evidence, about a potential return to Pandaria in the future. I havenā€™t seen anything to support said speculation, though in some ways I could see the reusing of a continent as a way of saving development costs. I donā€™t know how well received it would be to do that on a grand scale though, but if it meant the chance of playable Horde Saurok, Iā€™d be all for it. As of the moment, Iā€™m just taking it as some fun speculation as opposed to anything concrete.

Anyway, this is something I just wanted to openly ramble about. Iā€™ll be curious to see if the Mogu somehow do something to take advantage of something either in the Shadowlands or outside of it. If we do see the Mogu appear as a huge villain role again, the Saurok should be involved. I know Iā€™d help the Saurok against their mortal enemy! :lizard:

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

Me gusta.

More races, more fun.

2 Likes

A long while ago, I linked a video about why chameleons change colors, and I figured in addition to relinking it, Iā€™d share some chameleon fact videos for some Saurok idea inspiration.

Why chameleons change colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQggDnScsvI&feature=youtu.be

Some beautiful chameleon colors and facts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtaIqahi3I

A few more facts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxPJj6xRiw

And some more facts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfjyhu3p7iA

The main thing from chameleons is their ability to change colors, even if it isnā€™t really to hide in the environment. Iā€™ve mentioned before the idea of Saurok having a racial to blend into their surroundings to hide, sort of like the Night Elfā€™s Shadowmeld ability.

Of course, for balance purposes, I donā€™t see Saurok being able to really move around with this ability, as this would be giving all their classes a Rogue type stealth of some kind. I imagine it would just be to hide while not in combat, breaking upon movement (as it would be easier to see a Saurok move even if they blend in the area), and likely not being able to be used in combat.

Iā€™m sure something could be done with this racial to balance it. Itā€™s a neat idea, but Iā€™m not too sure how to make it unique compared to the Night Elf Shadowmeld racial, as well as balancing it for PvP and so on. If anyone has any ideas, please share! :lizard:

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Speaking of lizards and tonguesā€¦

https://youtu.be/wjuVq9BRNAI

3 Likes

Oh my gods I love that youtuber, was so happy when I saw that. Was a very good video.

2 Likes

I feel like that video was done tongue in cheek. :v

Iā€™ve thought about Saurok using their tongues, but since I donā€™t expect them to go full Yoshi with it, I canā€™t imagine a racial based around it. However, I did think of a new /silly for them:

ā€œSome guy in red jumped on me and hit me to get me to eat stuff! When I refused, he pushed me down a pit to jump across it! Who does that to people?!ā€

It could refer to this NPC as well:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Larion_(dwarf)

And what he looks like:

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/660650-larion-now-with-shoes.jpg

Just a fun thing to reference, both in WoW and popular media. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

So as yā€™all likely know, today is the day Shadowlands launches. Feels like it has been forever since a content update, hasnā€™t it?

A global launch time can be found here:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319354/wow-shadowlands-release-time-what-time-will-shadowlands-go-live

Wowhead has a survival guide up as well:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319361/shadowlands-global-launch-survival-guide-giveaway

So for those planning to jump into Shadowlands today, I wish you luck and hope the launch goes smoothly without many problems of hiccups.

As I mentioned, I donā€™t expect to find much Saurok stuff this expansion, but if I happen to see anything of interest, Iā€™ll be sure to report it here. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

So some good news! Iā€™m close to finishing my Business Finance class! Still have a lot of work to go, especially if I want to maintain this A I have, but I should have more free time soon! Some things Iā€™ve been planning are the following:

Iā€™m planning to look over the main post of the megathread and revamp sections and possibly adding to it. Iā€™m always open to suggestions if people have any for what should be added.

Iā€™m planning another Saurok screenshot story, one Iā€™ve been trying to think of for several months now that is different from the two Saurok Ambassador screenshot stories Iā€™ve done. I figured itā€™s the season to be happy and positive, so Iā€™ll see if I can get that started soon.

Iā€™ve done the majority of Pandaria exploring and questing, though I may play around on it some more in case I find anything else of interest. Iā€™m still trying for that Son of Galleon mount (457 attempts at the time of this post) to both use it and show it off as a neat mount option for playable Saurok (both potentially to start with and also as a fitting one you could get).

As usual, Iā€™ll be looking up more RL reptiles and lizard-like animals for more Saurok inspiration, be it for racials, scale patterns, and such. :lizard:

Iā€™ll also be thinking of other things to do to show off playable Horde Saurok support. We may have a couple years or so of Shadowlands, but the Saurok support marches on!..moreso at a faster pace once this class is finished, of course. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Want to wish everyone a safe and happy Turkey Massacre Day (US Thanksgiving)! Iā€™ll likely be having the appetite of an Ogre and unleash my inner Saurok as I devour a lot of food. :turkey:

Iā€™ve had the opinion that meat should have some big importance in Saurok society, and as such a lot of cooking recipes would likely involve meat in some way. Something about that would add a lot of personality and character.

Iā€™ve also wondered if a potential racial could be to eat meat and fish food types a bit faster than other food types. I imagine Saurok would likely be munching on something like a turkey drumstick much faster than they would a group of berries. Itā€™d be something that wouldnā€™t be too breaking, as opposed to something like getting a buff from eating meat and fish food types, and is moreso meant as a fun thing to add some character.

Anyway, hope everyone has fun tomorrow and eats a lot of delicious food! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

imagines my hunter Saurok whoā€™s determined to eat everyoneā€™s cuisine on Turkey Eradication Day

Heā€™d be so happyā€¦ Lol

3 Likes

If you remember the Vulpera unlock quest, you got to enlarge animals to get bigger chunks of meat. Itā€™s something that I could see the Saurok really being interested in. Might even be a way to win them over to the Horde. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

HA! Heā€™d hear that story and his EYES would BULG!

Heā€™d have to go make more vulpera friends.

3 Likes

So I was playing through Shadowlands and noticed something interesting. In Maldraxxus you get a quest to help a Sethrak soul get her abomination body back. While I was questing around the area I noticed a few npcs titled ā€œEnthusiastic Soulā€. Some of these npcs are actually the souls of sauroks. While not anything big it was pretty surprising and cool to see saurok in Maldraxxus.

5 Likes

I havenā€™t actually gotten into Shadowlands yet, so I must ask: How can you tell it is specifically a Saurok? Do you interact with it and they show up in spirit form?

Thatā€™s a very interesting find. I think maybe I should go ahead and get there so I can investigate and take images, myself. If I were to guess, maybe Saurok arrive there in the afterlife because they like combat. Many of them, like the Skumblade, revel in disease and filth, so seeing them arriving in Maldraxxus is very fitting.

Not sure what it could lead to, but it looks like I got some Saurok research to jump into. Thank you for sharing this! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a ghost using the saurok model. There were also a few others like an arrakoa, quilboar, and a saberon too. You donā€™t interact with them, but when you get close to them theyā€™ll occasionally comment on what youā€™re doing.

Minor spoilers, but apparently those souls are put into abomination bodies to which they pilot for maldraxxus.

Seeing the saurok got me a bit excited knowing blizzard didnā€™t completely forget about their existence. That and they werenā€™t hostile, which was pretty cool too. Makes me want saurok even more.

Iā€™d post a screenshot, but Iā€™m unable to unfortunately.

4 Likes

Oh gosh, this is super neat. I love this. Iā€™ll need to pay attention to this and go check it out myself. I feel like itā€™s something big, yeah, since, well. It implies that Blizzard is in fact thinking of various races, including Saurok. And they did bring back Mogu (and saurok. Kinda) in 8.3. If weā€™re helping these poor Saurok get their bodies back, I dunno, it feels kinda special. Plusā€¦ it sorta connects them to the world, and shows that even if theyā€™re artificially made, they have souls too and go to the Shadowlands as well.

Also reading your response makes it even more remarkable. I love this.

3 Likes

Interesting that there a few other races. Iā€™ll be curious what they say when they comment on your character.

It makes sense because the Mogu specialized in soul extraction and implementing them into constructs. Likely, all the lizards that got turned into Saurok by them still retained a soul, that likely morphed into their Saurok form. It wouldā€™ve been a way for the Mogu to deal with unruly Saurok while still making them useful by making them soul-slavesā€¦of course, they underestimated the Saurok and that lead to their downfall.

Even in death, it seems like Saurok have self-control. Theyā€™re not fighting other beings without thought, theyā€™re standing around in the afterlife with the souls of other races and likely will work with them. It sounds like they might be doing stuff for, I assume, the Necrolords there also. Really curious to know where these Saurok came from and what tribe they were part of.

Now, I know that covenant storylines are forthcoming for each covenant that players join. Luckily, I do have a character to do each covenant with, so as soon as I get this character to 60 and choose Venthyr, Iā€™ll likely start working on my Necrolords character so I can see if their storyline involves the Saurok in some fashion in the future.

Definitely worth investigating for sure! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

3 Likes

So hereā€™s the wowhead link for the soul npc.

Apparently it seems to be random. Thereā€™s a mantid that can show up as well as a dwarf, gnome, and orc which I didnā€™t see.

Also not sure if Iā€™ll be able to share this, but hereā€™s the screenshot of the saurok.
https://i.imgur.com/bE5UXiS.jpg

4 Likes

That is a very interesting find. Since there are multiple parts to the afterlife, I assume Saurok could wind up in several different ones. Seeing this definitely makes me want to work on my Maldraxxus character at some point in case we see more of these Saurok spirits in the Necrolord storyline thatā€™ll come later.

Iā€™m slowly working my way to 60, so I should hopefully be able to explore the area soon and see if there is anything more to these spirits. Since there are different racial forms of this NPC as opposed to all specifically being Saurok, it likely doesnā€™t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but itā€™s still something worth investigating!

Here I was expecting to see angry dead Saurok if anything, and so far we found what appears to be a friendly and mellow Saurok that is enthusiastic for what I assume is to aid the Necrolord covenant. Another case for showing that Saurok can be willing to work with or for others for a greater cause. :lizard:

Iā€™ll be sure to help keep an eye out for any more Saurok sightings. Again, thank you for sharing! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Oh wow this is SUPER cool. I love this. I need to pay attention in Mald more for sure, now. It was my second favorite (still is because I LOVE night fae), but man I love it even more now.

2 Likes