The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

Iā€™m going to add this to my collection! :yum:

You are not alone! Your cause is worthy of support and I hope we can see sauroks as a playable race. :crocodile:

I donā€™t want to brag, but worgen is multi plant shape and multi task. :smiley:

2 Likes

For female saurok I feel like the best choice would be simply to use the male worgen skeleton and tweak the animations to be more feminine. The male worgen skeletonā€™s posture is much more fitting in my opinion for a tailed race and retains a good bit of savagery aesthetic wise that I feel would be shared among both the male and female saurok. A tail in my opinion would look a bit awkward on the female worgen skeleton with their posture being so straight.

There is also quite a bit of hearthstone artwork of sauroks that can be found simply by googling ā€œhearthstone saurokā€. One of those is artwork for a female saurok (Iā€™d share it for those who havenā€™t seen it, but Iā€™m unable to post images) who seems to have a hunched posture nearly identical to the male saurok.

Also as for more inspiration for sauroks I feel like basilisks as well as crocolisks would be worth adding customization based on those two creatures. During the story told by lorewalker cho about the origins of the saurok the lizard shown seemed to be a basilisk. Though with the different types of saurok in the game itā€™s obvious they used lizards along with basilisks and maybe even crocolisks. Would be interesting to see some crocodilian customization (since crocolisks are just fantasy versions of crocodiles) and basilisk based customization. Basilisks in particular could add some very unique customization seeing as some seem to have crystals growing from their bodies. Perhaps a saurok with a layer of crystalline hide over their back?

Perhaps even ability wise sauroks could have something pertaining to basilisks in-game? I donā€™t think a petrification type ability would fit quite well. Maybe a racial that causes them to AOE fear enemies close to them, or at least in front of and within line of sight of them playing off the whole idea of a basiliskā€™s gaze. Something like this and a passive racial for underwater speed and longer underwater breath would be awesome.

3 Likes

Iā€™m honestly happy to see others want Saurok as well. When creating this megathread, I was concerned that people wouldnā€™t take too kindly to it and was a reason it took me a long time to gather courage to make this megathread. Much to my relief, the majority of people have been supportive, and Iā€™m very thankful for it. Even if the chances for playable Saurok might be low, Iā€™ll still continue to show my support for them, for whatever it is worth.

This makes me wonder how the tail physics work for Vulpera, since they put tails on the male and female Goblins. Itā€™s possible that something could be done to make it work, and would also give tails to Worgen for those that would like it as a customization option.

Of course, this assumes that playable Saurok would use both male and female Worgen models. Itā€™s one of the possibilities, but not the only one they could go with.

I have that image linked in the first post, actually. I do need to update it with a direct link so it will show up, which my first post is in need of a revamp.

One of the early discussions was how female Saurok design should be more than just putting mammaries on them while showing off some female lizardman customization options in other games.

Hearthstone does indeed have a lot of great Saurok artwork, and the devs and art team do like Saurok a lot from what Iā€™ve read. Theyā€™ve also written some neat lore, such as them taking up residencei n Unā€™Goro Crater. Hopefully, Blizzard will take some of their ideas as inspiration to put in WoW, as Unā€™goro Crater would work beautifully as a playable Saurok base.

Itā€™s definitely something to consider. I imagine that with all the Saurok in the world, the Mogu likely gathered all kinds of lizards of different types. Itā€™s a reason we see some Saurok with frills, for example.

If the Mogu used crocolisks, then itā€™s likely weā€™d see Saurok with six arms, which would be an interesting sight. if they did end up using basilisks, then I could see those specific Saurok using a petrifying gaze.

So far, Saurok seem to be of the same type of lizard in the game, but we could always see other lizard features as customization options. Theyā€™re always neat to think about and discuss when doing some reptile research. :lizard:

A roar that briefly causes enemies to cower in an AoE would be neat. Iā€™m not sure how balanced that would be, but I do like the idea.

On the subject of racials, I was thinking about one related to being hangry (hungry and angry). It could be something that increases haste and possibly crit chances. Again, Iā€™m not an expert at balancing in PvE or PvP, but it would add some neat flavor in their play style.

I really like the ideas you posted. Thank you for sharing them!

More Saurok research to continue in the future! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

Something slightly related to our scale friends.

1 Like

Now that is an interesting mod for Skyrim.

2 Likes

That looks like fun! Itā€™s like an Argonian on steroids.

So aside from looking at real life lizards for inspiration, Iā€™m also looking at fictional lizardman races. Since Iā€™ve been in a Star Wars mood lately, Iā€™m going to talk some about Trandoshans, their being a playable race in a previous Star Wars MMO game, and what aspects of them would fit for Saurok.

First some, some of their lore:

These guys may seem like angry Lizards, most of them tend to be mercenaries or bounty hunters with very little interest in things like friendship, but many of them actually function just fine in different planet societies and working with other species, with some even becoming Trandoshan jedi. They also lack tails of any sort.

Trandoshans worship the ā€œScorekeeper.ā€ They awarded Trandoshans in their hunt with ā€œJagannath points,ā€ which are used to determine a Trandoshanā€™s place in the afterlife. While primarily awarded in hunting creatures and sentient species, the first video I linked mentioned that this isnā€™t necessarily the only type of hunt. As long as you were achieving betterment of yourself in some way, you were awarded Jagannath points.

In terms of racial features, they have infravision and also a form of regeneration (both of which the Iksar of Everquest have). They also have a really good sense of smell.

Trandoshans are also notable for being despised by Wookies:

And the most notable Trandoshan is Bossk, who you might remember from The Empire Strikes Back:

Now that Iā€™ve linked to and talked a bit about Trandoshans, letā€™s see what they were like in Star Wars Galaxies, where they were a playable race.

Star Wars Galaxies was previously the first Star Wars MMO game, which has some infamy for different changes to the game that wereā€¦less than favorable. Trandoshans received the following types of skills in the game:

Regeneration
Creature Harvesting +10
Gloves/Shoes not visible (at one point not equipable in those slots at all)

Sadly, they are not playable in the current Star Wars MMO, ā€œThe Old Republic.ā€ They also donā€™t really fit the criteria the devs have for playable races in that game, so the chances of seeing them as a playable race there are quite low.

So what ideas can we get from Trandoshans to implement in the concept of playable Saurok in WoW?

Letā€™s start with personality. Saurok should maintain a form of savagery in their personality, but being savage does not mean being antagonistic or being a jerk. Itā€™s similar to how Worgen can function just walking around in Stormwind and can be pleasant but are ferocious and bloodthirsty when in combat. Saurok could function similarly, assuming you donā€™t get between a Saurok and their drumstick to gnaw on for lunch, you could get along with them just fine without worrying about easily angering them.

On the subject of a deity, Iā€™ve mentioned before the idea that a playable group of Saurok could worship a wild god that encourages hunting. This goes well with the idea of them eating meat, especially if they believe that eating the meat of your kills makes them stronger, and also would work well hunting Alliance should the Horde ever get into another war with them. Something like ā€œThe Great Huntā€ would make for a fun micro-holiday, with the idea being a big feast for a deity-related celebration while there being a balance in not over-hunting.

In terms of racial ideas, we have the usual regeneration that most lizardman races have, and Saurok should also in my opinion, but the other aspects give some interesting ideas. Saurok having a sense of smell is an interesting idea, though other than innately having some forms of tracking, I donā€™t know how that could be implemented in game. Infravision is also a neat idea, sorta similar to how Demon Hunters sense demons, that could be used for beasts and humanoid race detection and also be a deterrent for stealthed enemies, like in PvP.

As for the creature harvesting skill, if we go with the idea that Saurok would have hunting in their society, they could loot extra meat or, if they skin, extra pelts and such from mobs or be able to loot specific types of items off mobs, like bones, for Saurok-specific crafting for things like bone armor or tools. Now, High Mountain Tauren do have a racial to look extra meat and fish, so there may be a way to make a Saurok version more unique.

Lastly, in terms of armor graphics, it is possible that playable Saurok would not have any shoe graphics. We see this with a few races, notably the recent Vulpera allied race does this, so it isnā€™t anything new. Although my preference is for there to have a foot graphic with armor, I can understand why it wouldnā€™t show up on Saurok player models or would just appear on their lower legs like with Tauren. On the bright side, it would make it easier when designing armor for them.

Trandoshans offer a few good inspiration ideas for playable Saurok. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share it. I do plan to look at other lizardman races, in MMOā€™s and other types of media.

2 Likes

While Iā€™m not a big fan of trandossians Iā€™ve always appreciated the lizard/reptile races in star wars having more predator prey viewpoints even in civilized places.

I would love to see Saurok retain that Bestival lizard brain.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve finally dipped my toes into 8.3. Been so busy with work lately, and writing. Now that Iā€™m taking a break from writing at least Iā€™ve played a bit. Saurok are indeed seen in this patch, though thatā€™s not surprising considering weā€™re in pandaland.

Just saying, if they can ā€˜redeemā€™ mogu in some fashion, they can definitely bring in Saurok. Itā€™d be such an interesting story to see a race rather recently created to blossom and such. We already see them working with other races via being pirates, so itā€™s 100% possible.

2 Likes

It seems like a lot of lizardman races you see in media tend to be like that. Itā€™s not a bad thing, but usually they get designed as antagonists, which disappoints me. Itā€™s a reason that, in my opinion, Saurok should have some savagery in their personality but not be the kind to snap at their allies at a drop of a hat and should be able to interact with others without getting angry or violent.

A lot of this also has to do with my view of the Horde, where itā€™s a band of races that have had hardships and banded together to support each other against a world that seems to be against them. Since Saurok were former slaves that fought against the Mogu for their freedom, I think theyā€™d fit very well in that theme. Itā€™s why if a tribe ever got to join, I want them to be all for being a part of the Horde. :smiley:

Also on the subject of space-faring lizards, Star Trek does have a few lizardman races, with some playable in Star Trek Online. The most famous of them is the Gorn, which are interesting as they go from this:

To hulking brutes in Star Trek Online:

Maybe Iā€™ll look at them and other lizard races in Star Trek Online in the future, but there are other lizardman races Iā€™ll focus on for ideas first.

Indeed, though Iā€™m still disappointed we canā€™t free the Esnlaved Clearscale to get them to help us against the evil Mogu clans. Still, I have some hope that there is a tribe out there somewhere that would be more open to the Horde and working something out with them to help each other out.

Another important point, given how evil and self-centered the Mogu, for the most part, were. If Blizzard can make a good clan of Mogu and turn mindless mooks like Gilblins into part of an interesting faction with unique personalities, Iā€™m sure something could be done with Saurok.

Anyway, Iā€™ll end this post by leaving this video of geckos to illustrate how content Saurok should be when feasting on delicious food:

3 Likes

So I had a fun idea that I tested out recently. I got my L120 Assassin Rogue a Glyph of Disguise, pick-pocketed that flexing Saurok in Freehold, took her to Orgrimmar, and tested out some emotes.

As it turns out, Saurok have quite a few animated emotes, all of which I think are the male Worgenā€™s emotes. Not all emotes had animations however, such as there being no /dance animation of any sort. I also tested a few different mounts, and Saurok do not appear to be able to ride mounts.

On a similar note, I was toying with the idea of doing something similar to the Vulpera Foxtober events and gathering a few people with reflecting prisms to use on rogues that have Saurok illusions on to have a Saurok invasion of Orgrimmar for a photoshoot/march/etc. It would be used to show both support for playable Horde Saurok and also show that Saurok would fit quite well in Orgrimmar among the Horde. Sauroktober, perhaps? :smiley:

If anyone is interested in doing an in-game Saurok related event or has ideas for one, please feel free to suggest some. I donā€™t expect a lot of people showing up if I did an event, but it would still be fun to take screenshots of and share them here for fun. Speaking of, I may take screenshots with my Horde Assassination Rogue as a Saurok in Orgrimmar and other places if I can think of screenshot ideas.

In the meantime, Iā€™ll think of other things to test out with a Saurok illusion on my Rogue, just for fun. Maybe I should level my other Horde Rogue and see if because they use the male Worgen model, they might have a Heart of Azeroth animation. Doubtful, but it would still be neat even if it wouldnā€™t mean too much if they did have such an animation.

3 Likes

Well, I took some screenshots and made a tumblr account to upload them to and link them. Hopefully this works and the images show. Otherwise, Iā€™ll have to figure something out.

In order to do this, I had my Horde Assassination Rogue get a Glyph of Disguise, which turns you into whatever you pickpocket for 5 minutes, then I had to hearth back to Orgrimmar and take pictures quickly before the effects wore off. Took about three trips, but it did work out. Anyway, here we are!

The Saurok Ambassador

A tribe of Saurok have sent an ambassador to visit Orgrimmar in hopes of joining the Horde. How exciting!

It appears the Saurok ambassador has accidentally hit a time paradox, confused as to why Sylvanas is there. He points at the text to show this while warning her that if the Saurok join the Horde, she will be regret what she has done! That Void Walker isnā€™t a fan of hers, by the way. He was trying to chase after the bouncing Warlock leaving the area. Such interesting members of the Horde!

The Saurok ambassador wonā€™t let a crazy dead elf ruin his day. In fact, he suddenly notices an interesting smell in the air. What could it be?

Of course! The local butcher! ā€œJackpot!ā€ proclaims the hungry Saurok ambassador! Luckily, he has enough funds to buy a bunch of meat for a delicious lunch!

The Saurok ambassador then cooks an awesome BBQ lunch using special Saurok recipies! He of course shares them with the members of the Horde nearby. The best way to make friends is through their stomachs, of course!

After a delicious and filling lunch, the Saurok ambassador decides to take a swim. Contrary to popular belief, Saurok swim just fine. They have iron stomachs as well, so they donā€™t need to wait after eating to swim!

The Saurok ambassador knows that Orcs respect strength, so he flexes his muscles to try and impress the leader of the Magā€™har. Such a strong looking lizard!

The Saurok Ambassaor meets with the Vulpera, and is quite terrified of Nisha! There is no shame in this, however, as Nisha is one to be feared! Perhaps they will be on the same side one day and the ambassadorā€™s fears will go awayā€¦hopefully.

After a long day meeting others, the Saurok Ambassador decides to take a nap on a heat rock. Heā€™ll be meeting with Ji Firepaw soon, and could use some beauty rest!

The Saurok Ambassador meets with Ji Firepaw, who runs the Hordeā€™s embassy. He pleads with the Pandaren to allow his tribe of Saurok into the Horde, promising that they could offer a lot in exchange for being members. He also explains that his tribe of Saurok is different and more friendly than the ones Ji dealt with on the Wandering Isle.

The Saurok Ambasssador finishes his meeting, grateful for the chance to meet with Ji Firepaw. He is also grateful for you checking out his journey in Orgrimmar, and likely may have other journeys to help get his tribe of Saurok as members of the Horde. Let us hope his journeys become a successful one and that Horde Saurok become a reality!

That is all Iā€™ve taken so far, but I will likely do more in the future as I get some ideas. Hopefully these images work and donā€™t become broken and unviewable.

8 Likes

Iā€™m up for it. I donā€™t mind those dumb little foxes and donā€™t think thereā€™s any thing wrong with snake people.

1 Like

What are their relations like with the Alliance?

Very nice! Your efforts to put this together are much appreciated!

3 Likes

I am all on board for playable Saurok! I have been dying for a reptilian race in this game be it Sethrak, Dragonkin, Saurok! Still disappointed there has been none considered thus far :confused:

4 Likes

There arenā€™t really any relations with the Allianceā€¦or the Horde, for that matter. I personally support Saurok as a Horde race as, in my opinion, they fit better there compared to the Alliance and would likely get along with the Horde races much better.

On a general note, I wanted to make another post on another RL lizard, and this time itā€™s the green iguana, who shares some similar aspects of Saurok:

One thing Saurok and green iguanas donā€™t have in common is that green iguanas are apparently primarily herbivores, which was surprising to me.

Now interesting facts about these lizards include a few things of note:

They whip their tail as a form of defense. This ties into a racial idea of using their tail as a skill, be it a tail whip or tail spin to briefly stun or knock down enemies. If youā€™re a ferocious, angry lizard, youā€™re likely going to utilize all of your body in combat.

Green iguanas can break off their tail as a way to escape, and the tails do grow back over time. Now, I donā€™t expect Saurok players to want to drop their tail and go tailless for a certain amount of time, but this is another form of regeneration that most lizardmen races have in different forms of media. I do think Saurok should have a form of regeneration, preferably a passive racial skill.

Green Iguanas are also great climbers, which Saurok are as well in-game. Now, there really isnā€™t a wall climbing mechanic like in Breath of the Wild, though Saurok are known for climbing up cliffs and jumping up really high. Iā€™m not sure how to really translate this into gameplay, however, but still something to note.

Green Iguanas are great swimmers and also can hold their breath for several minutes, roughly 30 minutes according to a web search. Another form of evidence that Saurok should be able to have good swimming skills and be able to stay underwater for a certain amount of time.

These are just a few interesting facts, and there may likely be more about green iguanas to inspire some ideas. Iā€™ll keep an eye out if there is anything of interest with these lizards. Iā€™m sure there are other kinds of lizards to look at as well for idea inspiration, both real and fictional lizards. :lizard:

2 Likes

I would like to see a presentation for the Alliance as well. I think the Alliance could use something interesting, and Saurok are certainly that.

Iā€™d take em. Iā€™ll even volunteer to teach em to be Druids.

1 Like

You have my full support Bagzak. Iā€™ve wanted to play a Saurok since I first saw them.

2 Likes

Hmm. Yes I could see them adding a scaley race to the game. Iā€™m sure the furries would appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes