The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

Thatā€™s a useful thing about having Saurok units in places like swamps. Theyā€™d fit naturally to their surroundings, mosquitoes wouldnā€™t really bother them because of scales, and they could even help by munching on those mosquitoes that keep pestering everyone. Not to mention being able to swim and navigate through muddy waters would be very useful for scouting or ambushing.

As long as you kept them well fed, Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be very reliable allies in such places!

Playable Saurok for the Horde please! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

I came across what I think is official model artwork of Saurok Blizzard made, which seems to have what appears to be concept artwork for Saurok in the top right corner:

I came across the image in a Google search. It was tied to an art contest Blizzard had at one point and time on the official WoW web page. However, the link itself might have updated to another art contest past the time this image came from and didnā€™t appear to have this image at all. In fact, none of the links to sections involving this art contest really did anything, so I couldnā€™t really navigate the web page to find any context to this image being on there. Seems like Google tends to be a bit goofy at times.

As for that concept art, it looks like something that wouldā€™ve come from the pre-alpha stage. Saurok sure looked a lot weirder then, looking like some weird Naga/Jinyu/Trogg hybrid abomination of some kind. It is interesting to see how Saurok ended up being.

I can only imagine how neat Saurok would look if they were ever designed to become a playable race. Maybe weā€™ll be lucky to see how that will look someday! :lizard:

1 Like

I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve shared these before, but I found a couple of official images of some Lizardfolk from a mobile game called ā€œEmpires & Puzzles.ā€ Itā€™s some kind of match-3 gem mobile game with various heroes, which include several Lizardfolk heroes.

The first Iā€™ve come across is this Lizardfolk Fighter:

And the second is a Lizardfolk High Priest:

Both of which I wanted to share since the armor designs look really neat. It kinda looks like if Saurok took some design inspiration from Tauren in a way. Still very fitting for a Lizardfolk race that can help for inspiring some playable Saurok ideas!

1 Like

Wowhead posted an article mentioning that the latest 9.2.5 build on the PTR is now a release candidate. The significance of that is that it shouldnā€™t be too much longer before we know what all is in 9.2.5, as well as its actual release date.

Article here:

I know there are suppose to be several events in-game to go over how some things are going since weā€™ve been in the Shadowlands. So far, the datamining has been focused mostly on stuff going on in Tirisfal Glades, so itā€™s unclear where else weā€™ll see events occur.

For Saurok, Iā€™m not really expecting much of anything unless we actually go to Pandaria briefly for some reason. Not impossible to see anything Saurok related, but weā€™ll see. Rumors of early access to new playable races as a Dragonflight pre-order bonus are only intensifying as we go on.

If we are getting any new races of some kind, Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll be ones people have requested for awhile now. Itā€™s up in the air what is actually coming, but there are a lot of suspicious things going on with all the encryption and such. Iā€™ll keep expectations tempered of course, but regardless of what happens, Iā€™ll still keep supporting playable Horde Saurok as best as I can. :lizard:

9.2.5 was just announced to come out May 31st:

Wowhead has a couple of other related links with more info:

Going through the info currently as I post these in my megathreads. No new race announcements, though the rumors mentioned they were tied to Dragonflight preorders, so weā€™ll have to wait to see when they are available before we can see if the rumors are true or not.

Will keep an eye out for anything Saurok related to report, though Iā€™m not personally expecting anything. Weā€™ll see what happens when it happens, I guess.

1 Like

A post on the Community Council was made to bring up the different race request megathreads on the forums, including this one. You can see the post here:

A list of race request megathreads was given to them in the Furbolg megathread, so more megathread threads should be getting added to the list.

You can also give the post a like even if youā€™re not part of the Community Council.

Iā€™d like to ask this post be spread around to others so we can all support it as best as we can. No guarantees weā€™ll see all our dreams come true, but having something on there helps increases our chances, in my opinion!

1 Like

Hoping to see Saurok still!! That would be awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Since this megathread has officially gotten onto the Community Council thanks to that post, I think itā€™s time I look over the main post and do some revamping of some sections. Itā€™s something Iā€™ve been meaning to do, but given the time involved with it, I havenā€™t really had the time or energy to sit down and make a big edit of that kind. Maybe Iā€™ll do it in sections. Iā€™ll see if I can start that very soon.

As usual, if anyone has any suggestions of what should be revamped or added, please let me know. Iā€™m also looking to word the sections that make it more of an interesting read, but still informative. Something similar to what I did with my Stonemaul Ogre megathread.

I also see that the post on the Community Council has added a list of several other race request megathreads. It makes me happy to see a lot of the work and passion people have made get shown on there. As I said before, I hope if Blizzard looks at it, they do so with interest and an open mind. And while not a guarantee weā€™ll see all those races playable, hopefully weā€™ll see some dreams come true in the future.

It makes all the work done to support Ogres and Saurok for the Horde very worthwhileā€¦speaking of, this megathreadā€™s three year anniversary is coming up soon on June 2nd. Iā€™ll have to think of some fun posts to do for that. Iā€™m also open to suggestions for that or if anyone else wants to make their own post to celebrate the occasion! :lizard:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing mine in sections. Going over it and reassessing how its written bit by bit.

Also had to cut some things out of my void elf one due to picture limitations.

1 Like

I didnā€™t even know there were picture limitations with regards to the number of them in posts. It makes some sense I suppose. Iā€™ll have to keep that in mind as I revamp it.

1 Like

I canā€™t remember how many I found it to beā€¦ but yeah. Also when you post a link to a thread and it shows the preview there those can limit it too it appears.

Its one of the reasons my AR/Customization/Class lists are under a spoiler thingie. Though any new threads I make Iā€™ll just steal the second post for it.

1 Like

I swear I hear people saying ā€œDracthyr look like Saurok with wingsā€ and Iā€™m like dude just give me playable Saurok and be done with it AHHH

1 Like

The thing is that Dracthyr look very different than Saurok. Dragons in WoW have a distinct look with Dracthyr looking a bit regal like and proud as a result of being dragonkin. Whereas Saurok look ferocious and likely to eat your face if you really annoy them. Dracthyr donā€™t really have that feel when I look at them.

The good thing of Dracthyr is that some of their features, like scale colors and such, could be implemented should Saurok and Sethrak ever become playable. Itā€™ll be something Iā€™ll go over as NDAā€™s lift and people are allowed to share things about Dracthyr in general. So some good will come out of playable Dracthyr, and it helps to lean more towards the dragon fantasy of WoW as it makes them, Saurok, and Sethrak all unique in their own ways.

I did read about some RPers considering using Dracthyr on RP servers to RP as Saurok. Makes me happy to know that Saurok have fans on RP servers, let alone in general. Sometimes, you have to take what you have and make good use of it the best you can. Hopefully, weā€™ll be able to have actual Horde Saurok characters someday! :lizard:

2 Likes

Yeah in terms of facial expression they give off completely different vibes. Even when it comes to body shape I donā€™t find them that similar ; I think the comparison comes from the fact that the general thinness of Dracthyr is more reminiscent of lizards than of dragons, but at the end of the day Saurok are rather stocky, right ? Iā€™m sure Dracthyr RPā€™d into Saurok can work just fine with a little imagination though !

Honestly, even though itā€™d be amazing to be able to play as one in the future, right now Iā€™m merely asking for more Saurok content. Theyā€™ve been mostly forgotten about after MoP. I was delighted to see them in Kul Tiras, pirate stuff fits them so perfectly. But we need to have some actual non-hostile Saurok NPCs, ones you can interact with. Thatā€™s also why threads like this one are so important. They remind people that they exist and it might create a demand among players

2 Likes

They can range from being somewhat skinny-like with the regular units to something close to beefy. Iā€™m not really sure what they would look like as a playable race. Depends if they were built from the ground up or utilize Worgen skeletons/rigging.

They seemed to get some use in BfA with the Bilgewater Pirates, that underwater bar, and the Clearscale Tribe to a much lesser extent (regressing to being near-feral again, sadly). Not to mention the one Saurok spirit that talks briefly in that one NPC event in Maldraxxus when you approach them.

Still, the fact that they seem to be evolving some makes me hope weā€™ll see them in a bigger role sometime. Seems like to some extent, theyā€™ve gotten a little bit of love from Blizzard, so maybe someone there likes them. Hopefully, theyā€™ll be fleshed out to being something more than just angry jobbers for quests.

I appreciate you saying this thread is important. Seeing people gain interest in playable Saurok and offering their support is a big reason I keep going. That and I do enjoy what I do, since I have a big passion for Lizardmen races in general.

Interestingly enough, it seems like people have gradually gained interest in playable Horde Saurok. Iā€™ve noticed people becoming fans of Saurok on here, adding them to their list of wanted playable races and supporting them in general. Weā€™ve also come across people who come onto here from a Google search, as several posts in here and many images shared come up as top results when you Google search Saurok in general and with specific words, like playable race. I canā€™t say Iā€™m the sole reason for that, but itā€™s cool if I did help to inspire that some.

I canā€™t say itā€™ll be effective long term in actually seeing playable Horde Saurok as a reality, but it does seem to be slowly getting people interested in them. I think theyā€™d be well received, even with Dracthyr. Likely moreso since Dracthyr have so many limitations in different things, though Dracthyr are still important for those interested in dragons.

As long as I keep playing WoW, I plan to keep going with Horde Saurok support as best as I can. And I donā€™t see myself quitting anytime soon. Especially when weā€™re hitting our three year anniversary soon! :lizard:

2 Likes

Something Iā€™m planning to do as I revamp the main post of the megathread is to go through all the posts in here and link to any notable ones.

Things Iā€™m looking for involve anything of Saurok significance/appearances, posts where Iā€™ve looked at Lizardmen races in other MMOā€™s and media, RL reptiles, screenshot stories Iā€™ve done, any works or screenshots others have done, and so on. Having easy access to those posts would help to make sure those posts can be referenced.

Some I may have to edit to be a bit more concise or to fix broken links, such as Youtube videos that no longer exist for one reason or another, or maybe consider making a brand new post with that information. I think itā€™d be helpful to make sure that information and suggestions are readily available for Saurok idea inspiration.

Itā€™s a huge task that will take a lot of work, but thus are the duties of maintaining a race request megathread. I knew it was going to take a lot of work to make this megathread to begin with, but itā€™s worth it if it gives a chance of seeing playable Horde Saurok become a reality! :lizard:

2 Likes

Wish these forums had the option to make posts just under the main post.

Twitter has a function to link posts together like that.

Really change the game as it were.

1 Like

The month of June is almost here, which means Summer time is coming up! Even lizards get to celebrate the season with some fun swimming:

I imagine Saurok would do something similar. Maybe with their own BBQ pool parties or something. :lizard:

Also been thinking up the usual post to make when our megathreadā€™s three year anniversary comes on June 2nd. Was trying to think of some things to change it up so Iā€™m not just saying the same thing every year. I also think it has been awhile since I took some in-game Saurok screenshots, so maybe Iā€™ll look into doing something with that in the near future.

Almost three years strong and still going! I donā€™t see us quitting anytime soon! :muscle:

1 Like

Well today is 9.2.5ā€™s launch day. Still a lot of questions of what all is in it, since there are suppose to be events going on that werenā€™t mentioned with its features. The Tirisfal Glades questline is an example of that, which we still barely know anything about.

As usual, Iā€™ll keep an eye out for Saurok sightings of any sort. I donā€™t expect to see any to be honest, unless we happen to go back to Pandaria briefly or something else happens. Maybe weā€™ll get lucky somehow. Who knows?

There are still rumors of at least one new playable race being tied to Dragonflight preorders, but it seems like we wonā€™t be able to put that rumor to bed until we see preorders open and we can see incentives for preordering. Assuming we do get any new playable races, while I always hope to see playable Horde Saurok, my usual hope is that they would be ones that people have been wanting to see for quite some time.

However, it may be awhile before we see preorders open up. Iā€™m going to guess that a more solid release date may be needed before Blizzard can offer them, while some are speculating that theyā€™re waiting for a good marketing opportunity to open them for quarterly revenue reports. Whatever the case, Iā€™m still looking forward to preordering and being able the check out the next expansion. Iā€™m also primarily excited for playable Dracthyr still, and look forward to whenever theyā€™ll be available to be made. Being able to make new characters is always an exciting thing for me, though I still hope weā€™re able to get more character slots for our account sometime.

Iā€™m in the process of planning out some revamps of the main megathread post, which Iā€™ll be doing different sections in multiple updates. Also been thinking some of this yearā€™s three year anniversary, which is in two days! Quite a bit to do and not as much time as Iā€™d like, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll figure something out.

This lizard is particularly excited for our megathreadā€™s anniversary coming up:

As I said, if something Saurok related comes up in 9.2.5, Iā€™ll be sure to report it here and look at it. Even if nothing comes from it or from Dragonflight, Iā€™ll still be marching in support of playable Horde Saurok! :lizard:

1 Like

So far, I havenā€™t been able to explore much of 9.2.5, but I havenā€™t really heard of anything Saurok related (not that I was expecting anything to begin with). However, we did get a surprise questline that unlocks Dark Ranger customization options for Blood Elves, Void Elves, and Night Elves:

Iā€™m happy for the Dark Ranger megathread and hope that itā€™s something that satisfies them.

It does give me some hope that Blizzard is looking at our feedback, and it makes me feel that itā€™s important to continue maintaining our race request and customization megathreads. There are no guarantees weā€™ll see all our dreams come true, but I still feel like doing something is better than silently hoping. Not so much that it takes investing all of my free time to maintain, but to just have something to show the passion we players have for something weā€™d love to see become a reality. I feel a bit more courageous in continuing maintaining my megathreads, and I hope others continue to support their megathreads as well.

And speaking of my megathreads, tomorrow is the third anniversary of this megathread! Iā€™ll have to see if I can make some fun posts to do throughout the next few days, though Iā€™m also trying to make some time to sit down and start revamping the main post of the megathread as well. Iā€™ll have to play it by ear.

In the meantime, we can totally celebrate by partying! :lizard:

Almost three years and still going strong! Playable Saurok for the Horde please. Always! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like