The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Also to this point, how both BE’s (and HE’s) were recolored Night Elves, and Kul Tirans were just humans before they were made playable.

Also how Zandalari also were just a Troll skin before MoP were they got NPC models, and later PC.

4 Likes

I feel like while BE’s used leaky reactors, the Orcish Horde as just literally hosing the stuff down. Same result: saturating the environment with fel. Orcs just did it with zero refining because they were directly using the stuff for rituals, while BE’s used it as an energy source (and some used the stuff directly from the tap)

3 Likes

…AND the subsequent ‘Reconstruction’ era, as well.
Flips hair

Becuase that’s how a compromise (Void Elves) works. You make it worse/better on purpose to find a middle ground.

I totally agree about other, non-elf races getting proper attention. Zandalari have made the biggest dent to Blood Elves in years. The main problems though, that people are shallow, men are pigs, and shut-ins sterotypically like to skimp around as scantily clad elf women, won’t ever be solved.

The pretty races will remain the most played because most people like to choose idyllic beauty if given the option to represent their character as such.

But that’s why it is an awful compromise. (if we look at it as one)

If the Void Elves looked exactly like they do, but they had a Alliance High Elf origin, that would have been a compromise!

It’s like saying that giving BE’s to the Alliance would be a compromise for people that want Alliance HE’s. They’d look closer, but they still would be Horde BE’s that switched sides.

6 Likes

The funny thing is they can still fold in the High Elves into Void Elves whenever they want, even if the originals came from BE. Steve Danuser pretty much implies this could be the case down the line.

I agree it would’ve been better to just start out taking from High Elves though.

1 Like

but a middle ground was not achieved. Void elves are popular for reasons other than why people are requesting high elves.

Void elves did not fulfill any part of the high elf request and at the same time took away everything that made blood elves unique.

4 Likes

how is that possible when the wildlife and orcs next door are visibly corrupted by fel

they literally live beneath fel volcanos from shadowmoon spewing volcanic fel pollution daily irradiating the atmosphere with fel taint

theres so much fel pollution in the breathable atmosphere, its crystallizing on the forest floor

theyve been there for years. they should definitely be showing signs of passive fel absorption

:thinking:

Orcs had no idea of what they were doing.

There’s a sad story from where I live, in the 80’s a capsule was found by some thieves and sold to a junkyard. The people in the junkyard opened it without knowing what was inside and got marveled by the glowing blue powder they found inside. They gave the blue powder to people as gift or curiosity. A little girl used it in her skin, even ate with her hands contaminated by it.

The blue stuff was Cesium 137. The capsule was used for X-rays in medical analysis. A lot of people died of cancer, including the little girl. That event is known worldwide as one of the worst nuclear disasters in history.

That’s how I see the orcs playing with fel after Gul’dan taught it as a substitute for their failing shaman magics.

4 Likes

Middle ground was not achieved, so it’s a failed compromise.

10 Likes

To make it simple sense you seem slow on the uptake until there is a character creation slot that reads High Elf , High Elfs are not playable. Moreover the specific HIgh Elves that have been a request since the Vanilla WoW beta (even before the advent of Allied "races’) is those High Elves which stayed with the Alliance either as direct members of or allied with before the Blood Elves were added to the game. In short High Elves are not playable in any capacity outside of role playing as one with either a Night Elf or Void Elf & I guess if you have no concept of how important naming conventions are Blood Elf

2 Likes

Personally I agree that there is still time to do that, but not everyone does, so I can’t say that at this point it would be a satisfactory solution.

Still better than nothing, I say.

They could have just Voided the SC from the beginning.

1 Like

:clap: :laughing:

Good turn of phrase.

I can’t see it. I just don’t see most Elves being alright with having whispers of the Old Gods in their head.

I seriously wonder who they ran the idea by. Did they have focus groups? Were those focus groups made out of people who gave a crap about the Lore?

2 Likes

True, but I’m talking about consequences rather than intention specifically. Orcs had no clue what forces they were playing with, Blood Elves did, and while we can discuss it from a moral standpoint, in terms of effects the BE’s indeed used fel “more safely” if you will.

1 Like

I mean, Void Elves were already a minuscule faction of Blood Elves, and Blood Elves are much more willing to meddle with dangerous powers than High Elves.

1 Like

You’ve said that before…

Why would you think that Outland has Fel Volcanoes?

A good point. It is very different to envision the SC having been turned against their will like Umbric’s group. It is far more unlikely to see them willingly turn themselves into Void Elves.

And that’s the biggest issue of adding HE’s to the VE’s now. Sure, potentially some could, specially if we are talking of a safer alternative, enough to warrant more customization choices. But it’s hard to imagine a whole group like the SC go void willingly.

So unless they were somehow forced to -which would feel like a re-thread- is unlikely.

1 Like

Yeah. Such a weird idea. The old WoW Encyclopedia said that a major difference between the High Elves and the Blood Elves is that the High Elves weren’t willing to use magic sources like Fel.

So I have no idea why they’d suddenly be like, “Well. This one gives you tentacles and whispers that drive you mad! let’s all do that!”

1 Like