The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I don’t genuinely believe there are more Nightborne than any other race. Was really just commenting on the discrepancy in size between their capital and the others.

WoW also has a unique problem in so far as inhabitants of other planets keep invading.

3 Likes

Nobody wants to remove your beloved Blood Elves or Quel’thalas, in fact is you that want to remove the remaining High Elves from the game. That’s why High Elf fans become so mad sometimes, the amount of selfishness from Blood Elf fans is sickening.

You guys don’t know what empathy means, I hope real life will help you guys learn it, because this amount of selfishness is what make this world be so dark.

Why do you think there’s some people who dont bother about High Elves but still give their support? That’s right: Empathy!

9 Likes

I don’t know how you could interpret the faction dynamics this incorrectly.

All of the current Alliance are under the greater fealty of the Stormwind crown, and thusly, Anduin. All of them.

The Alliance of Lordaeron was similarly under the fealty of Lordaeron’s crown. Those who didn’t play ball left. Gilneas. Strom. Quel’thalas.

The Horde rallies to a Warchief, but the individual races within the Horde are much more free to have their own level of individuality and autonomy in general. This is most obvious, and most recently pointed out, in the Nightborne recruitment scenario:

Tyrande, on the other hand, went off on her own in defiance of Anduin, because she felt the Alliance wasn’t doing enough for Darkshore and Anduin denied her Alliance aid.

It was honestly refreshing to see the Night Elves, who had been very much more idependant in their lore and depiction in WC3, do something away from the greater Alliance narrative, because they have very much stagnated under Alliance banners, being shoehorned into the Alliance very much like Forsaken were to the Horde to bring Warcraft 3’s four factions down to 2.

The Night Elves needed to be given back some teeth.

2 Likes

I dont know, I see how many upvotes the last time something about how Blood Elves were a mistake got. And who upvoted it.

Inconsistencies all around~

1 Like

Dalaran is specifically pointed out as never having been very large in population.

Stormwind’s realistic-to-canon proportions would likely be closer to the Warcraft movie (though probably less as this Stormwind was burned). Similarly you can find pictures of a “realistic” Teldrassil that looks similarly grand in scale.

Canon lore numbers and scale will never be done justice by game interpretation. Suramar is impressive because it got very close to resembling a full scale city.

Well yes Gilneas and Quelthelas left due to them feeling Lordaeron was inadequate and politics and such, Stromgarde didn’t technically leave. It fell apart due to being weakened from the outside from the Scourge then betrayal from the inside by Galen Trollbane. The city then fell into the hands of the Undead and later the Forsaken.

Its been a recent development that with the return of the hero Danath Trollbane that the Alliance has been trying to recapture the city of Stromgarde for the Alliance. And technically the surviving forces have been fighting since Vanilla with the Arathi basin battleground.

1 Like

Besides only thing that we high elf fans want is Quel’dorei finally a playable race. Also Northern Lordaeron as well.

Not Quel’thalas. Just Northern Lordaeron a place that hasn’t even been seen in a long time.

Speaking of Quel’thalas. Don’t you think its about time for the Blood Elves to rename their lands into Sin’thalas now? :thinking:

1 Like

Given how we haven’t seen Northern Lordaeron, it’d make a fine starting area for playable high elves. It’s close to QT and there is a precedent of an elven presence there

2 Likes

Aye and Northern Lordaeron would be a perfect spot ether as a Warfront or a good starting area for the remaining Quel’dorei High Elves.

1 Like

Stromgarde definitely left, along with Gilneas, the Alliance of Lordearon almost immediately after Quel’thalas did. Anasterian felt High elven casualties were too high, and all were upset with the abysmal and expensive handling of the Orc interment camps, which proved burdensome tax-wise, and veiwed as completely inept once warchief Orgrim Doomhammer escaped.

Yeah, sure, our thread is all about how to remove Blood Elves from the game and how they don’t fit in Horde, we’ve spent 17k post talking about it…

3 Likes

Ah, you’re right. It’s not mentioned very clearly- at the end of a long paragraph on the wiki. I can admit to my mistakes.

Still, it seems like they were still on good terms- sending out troops to join Jaina’s forces to Kalimdor. and the survivors being on good terms with the other Alliance forces in World of Warcraft.

1 Like

Stromgarde went through some stuff, for sure. A far cry from their Arathor glory days.

At least it’s not Alterac.

…I don’t even have to look at the wiki to remember what happened to Alterac.

1 Like

I’m going to respond to this because it didn’t seem to get the notice I felt it deserved, in the craze of posts that surrounded it.

The answer is yes, and it’s yes because in such a scenario Blizzard wouldn’t have to concern themselves with potential outcry over something being “stolen” by the opposing faction – because anything “stolen” from Alliance-side Blood Elves would be going to Alliance-side High Elves.

There are a handful of thematic elements which are underutilized, or entirely unutilized, by the Blood Elves which are typically considered barriers to implementing playable High Elves – perhaps the most prominent example being the Farstriders. If the faction divide wasn’t a concern, this could be remedied fairly easily by adjoining the Farstriders, written in this case to be much further removed from the societal core than they originally were, to the High Elves who maintained that what Rommath was doing (and what Lor’themar was allowing him to do) were unacceptable.

This wouldn’t be possible now, not without dangerously butchering the story of both sides, but if it had been setup that way it’d probably be the best narrative option for all involved.

So, yeah, the TL;DR answer is, yes, we probably would.

4 Likes

The basis for separate, playable High Elves on the Alliance, assuming a world where they already had Blood Elves, would have been ridiculously weaker, if it even existed at all.

If anything, what ended up being gold eye customization in this timeline, would have been blue eyes in that one.

A scenario in which Blood Elves rejoined the Alliance in TBC would have never given rise to a desire for High Elves throughout the years, and I believe the Alliance would have accepted Blood Elves as the High Elven story progression they are if they had fought for the Alliance, and remaining High Elf NPCs would have had been written to come to some reconciliation to fight on the same faction, so the current arbitrary animosity also wouldn’t exist.

As for Farstriders, they are still a third of Blood Elven miltary, with Halduron being just as active as someone like Veressa has been, as both are seen during the Zul’aman story bits as well as within the Unseen Path in Legion, Captain Elsia, another notable Blood Elven ranger, also acted equal and opposite to Veressa on Thunder Isle, not to mention Lor’themar himself was a Farstrider before taking his current position as Regent Lord.

Blizz seems to like Liadrin, though, and has given her much more up front story, likely because Blood Knights very much are the prime representation of the Blood Elves’ path to power at any cost transforming into an eventual redemption.

That doesn’t mean Farstriders are not at all important or core to Blood Elves anymore, and before anyone cites things like Silvermoon City guards being jerks to Hunters, realize that is another among many relics of TBC-era storytelling that haven’t caught up to present day story reality.

3 Likes

They’re one of three, alright. Not so sure their numbers are equal nowadays.

Despite the Farstriders’ main thing being… well, striding faraway from home, the Island Exploration team is two Mages and a Blood Knight. And I don’t remember seeing them at Arathi.

5 Likes

If thalassians had been made playable in the Alliance, they’d be high elves, not blood elves. Blizzard retconned pre-TBC blood elves to make them playable.

All Alliance-aligned thalassians pre-TBC were high elves.

6 Likes

I’d disagree.

Blood Elves were already a thing during Frozen Throne. However, if they were an Alliance playable race, perhaps there wouldn’t be a need for a distinction between High Elves, since they would both serve the Alliance. The moral greyness would be lessened, as the High Elves would try and teach the Blood Elves how to fight off magic addiction, and perhaps the two peoples would assimilate

2 Likes

Blood elves were being set up for a villain race. Even back in TFT Kil’jaeden had shown interest in Kael.

All Alliance elves in vanilla were high elves, and most blood elves were enemies for both factions.

Blood elves back then fed off demons.

I bet high elves would be constantly tempted to turn blood elf in the old lore, and that would be their theme: not trusted by allies, having to deal with addiction while tempted to join their radical brethren.

But everything was changed when Blizzard decided to make blood elves a Horde race.

7 Likes