The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

nope. the sunfury consisted of anywhere between 20-30k soldiers based on my estimates.

While blizzard can pull out whatever numbers they want until then I am going to compare what we know to real life numbers typical of the same thing we are comparing to in the lore.

1 Like

thank you. indeed the VAST majority never left quel’thalas

the high elves just started referring to themselves as Blood Elves like Ion and the lore back up :+1:

That’s catchy!

2 Likes

If the Sunfury consisted of 20k soldiers, that would mean the QUel’thalas population before the Scourge would have been around 1.3 million elves.

I have the feeling that the kingdoms in Warcraft are not that numerous. Even half a million people would be a very crowded region in Azeroth.

1 Like

It’s hard to say.

When they extrapolated Kael’s force of 2,000 elves being 15% of the Blood Elves, that would make the total surviving Blood Elves out to be 13,333 Elves.

10% of 15,333 elves is 1533.

But population numbers are pointless in WoW.

There are as many of a race as there needs to be for the story to do what the story is doing.

Otherwise, my Sin’dorei Paladin’s killed more Void Elves than exist.

5 Likes

the thing is is we have no idea of the actual size of everything. I don’t think azeroth is a small planet.

3 Likes

I think this is the only right answer. Most races would be depleted after so many wars by now, whatever the real numbers would be.

I like to think that there were 500,000 elves in Quel’thalas. That would make around 45,000 blood elves and 5,000 high elves.

3 Likes

and only the orcs so far would of had grown a new generation since warcraft 3 since they reach adulthood by age 12.

2 Likes

This is debatable. You may interpret that way, but it could be interpreted as academic centers and military forces as we have seen. Clearly they still have a cohesive identity as High Elves even if they’re no longer welcome or comfortable in their former homelands.

Besides, numbers have no bearing on if a group/race is playable. Void Elves and Maghar probably number in the hundreds at the most. Maybe even as few as as several dozen.

2 Likes

Checks threads while making luncheon
Oh, YOU!
Flips hair

3 Likes

It is. If you’re making a fictional setting you need the logistics to be able to support the development team.

No WoW writer is going to think, "Isle of Thunder. There were 13,333 Blood Elves, Kael got 2,000 of them killed. So there are 11,333 left. There are 1533 High Elves. They’re going to face off…

Also. WoW’s population numbers are absurdly low. Medieval Europe (I’m using this because we’re talking about a fantasy setting) had 60 million people.

According to stated numbers there were 120,000 High Elves before Arthas wrecked everything.

2 Likes

MMMMMmmmmm…maybe.
Flips hair

3 Likes

They probably don’t think of numbers. There were X elves. There’s now 1/10 of those, plus some unnacounted populations that can be created in a whim (like they did with the Gilneans in Val’sharah). If X seems little for current needs, they just increase X, since they never stated how many they were before.

I think millions is too high a number. It would make them numerous even after the purge (2,000,000 elves mean 200,000 still living, they wouldn’t be endangered at all), but bellow 500,000 the surviving ones become too few. So, I settle for something around that number.

As for Silver Covenant, if there’s 5,000 high elves around, and some populations (Theramore, Quel’lithien) have died out, plus most of them may be independent, scattered or civilian, I’d say the Silver Covenant is something around 1,000 (military) members, plus many civilian supporters. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

3 Likes

The WoW pen and paper RPG had pretty similar numbers to what you could extrapolate from Kael’s 2,000 strong 15% of the Elves. Stormwinds Population is 200,000 people according to it. (And 10% of them are High Elves. That’s 40,000 High elves. Which obviously doesn’t match up to 1500.)

Goldshire has 7,000 people. Red Ridge has 1500.

So you know… Here you go…

the majority of the human population is present during the Battle for Lordaeron.

So the answer?

They didn’t think about it.

4 Likes

Odd the Lore that I read states that Kael’thas, their Prince, and last living member of the Sunstrider dynasty renamed the Remaining High Elves of Quel’thalas, as Blood Elves. When the last Ruler of your race renames you, its more than just a suggestion. We don’t refer to ourselves as High Elves, we are Blood Elves.

10 Likes

Friendly reminder that population numbers don’t matter.

1 Like

Well. The population of Rome during 1 AD was around 45 million.

WoW just has low population numbers, and unceasing wars.

Another example of the whole human race getting together for a shindig.

3 Likes

I always found the RPG numbers way off. Stormwind had ten times more population than any other city in the whole world. I never bothered to sum it all up, but Stormwind alone seemed more populous than the entire rest of the Alliance combined. That can’t be right.

IMO, if there one nation that would be close to one million people, it’s Stormwind (and Lordaeron, but it was already destroyed at that point). This is enough to support armies of tens of thousands soldiers. Other races seem less numerous than humans, but I’d give them way higher numbers than the RPG did. No way that Ironforge would have only 20,000 people! I’d number it in the hundreds of thousands as well.

Rome was a vast empire that covered much of Europe and a good portion of northern Africa, not a city-state surrounded by towns like in Warcraft.

Maybe 45 Million is a number that could be applied to the entirety of the Eastern Kingdoms. But that would include even enemy nations like the Amani or the Gurubashi.

Yeah, but speculation is fun.

2 Likes

It’s hard to say.

Obviously the numbers are way off. Turns out WoW was written by fiction writers instead of non-fiction writers.

They’ve got westfall nearby, so they kind of have the infrastructure to support large populations. Gnomish plumbing, etc. Also, how much food can a mage summon?

Also, Suramar is massive. The Nightborne should have a monumental population in comparison to any other race. Living off of Arcwine, fishing and conjured Mana Buns.

2 Likes

I don’t consider the cities’ in-game sizes for my guesses, just their role. I do, however, consider that there are no towns/cities besides the ones we can find in-game, but there are additional villages and farms that aren’t in-game. So, Stormwind nation would be comprised of the capital, Northshire, Goldshire, Lakeshire, Darkshire and Moonbrook/Sentinel Hill.

I don’t think in-game city sizes obey a scale. Stormwind is probably way bigger than Suramar or Silvermoon, I guess.

I also consider that magic makes life in Warcraft cities closer to modern standards, so you can have larger populations in an area than you could in the real world antiquity. Magical places in particular, like Dalaran, Suramar and Silvermoon, probably had greater population density, compensating their smaller sizes. Also, due to magical services and technology, rural areas are capable of producing more food and have more population density than real world antiquity had.

4 Likes