The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

If you play a Forsaken, your race is Undead, not Forsaken. Because the Forsaken are a faction of Undead, not a race.

If you play a Blood Elf your race is Blood Elf, not High Elf. Blood Elves are not a faction of High Elves, they’re a separate race.

At the very least that seems to be how the game treats them.

6 Likes

Blood Elves are not High Elves but they are the Legacy of the High Elves. The High Elf Culture, Ideologies, etc are carried on by the Blood Elves. As for political affiliations The High Elves of Quel’thalas had none, they served themselves. They only aligned themselves with others when they needed help protecting their lands. So while the nolonger carry the Title of High Elves, they are more like the Original High Elves. The Alliance High Elves while having the Title share none of the Ideologies or beliefs of the original High Elves.

The Alliance should get High Elves as a playable race, but I think Blizzard should change their name. Because other than being called High Elves, they are nothing like them.

1 Like

This is something that always bothered me. The race should be “Forsaken”, not “undead”. Undead is an umbrella term too wide to work as a race, and playable undead are all of a very specific type known as Forsaken.

A lot of people in this thread has agreed to that. The current high elves are different from the former high elves, they just kept the name. They could be called silver elves or something else.

4 Likes

well it is true. WoW is closer to the real world definition of race than the general fantasy term of race.

They do separate different qualities that groups of the same species as different races.

Basically when referring between humans and dwarves you should think of species. When you are referring between orcs and mag’har you should think race.

this is essentially a large crux of the problem. modern high elves are not high elves as we have known them in the past. They should have a different name but all they are referred as is high elves.

1 Like

Species and Racial taxonomy is not a very well defined thing in WoW. I’d argue that High Elf and Blood Elf are taxonomically the same race, barring any hereditary changes that fel exposure might have. Now their difference is really philosophical and political. The gameplay naming convention is just that a gameplay naming convention that was used since it was the easiest way to differentiate the playable factions at the time. Now with the addition of Allied Races that method of labeling them is getting muddied.

I’m talking about how it is used in-game. Dwarves and humans are separate races, Dark Iron Dwarves and Bronzebeard Dwarves are also separate races

If we bring biology in we gotta accept Humans, High Elves, Orcs and Draenei are the same species as they can produce children with one another

1 Like

Someone needs to edit the Wikipedia page for High Elves. It sources multiple novels and books that are no longer considered canon. I just looked through it and most of its intro alone is referenced from 2008 non-canon books that Chronicles has effectively overriden.

I’ll do what I can. I’ll make a suggestion, but I’m not much of a writer.

I like that I think being called The Silver Elves would be great. Then there should be no problem with The Alliance getting the AR they have been asking for, for years.

Anti. But Blood Elves are High Elves, you cannot have a copy and paste of a core Horde race.

Pro. We’re not asking for High Elves, we’re asking for Silver Elves. A completely different race of Elves from High Elves.

Those against High Elves becoming and Alliance AR wouldn’t have a leg to stand on, because you wouldn’t be getting High Elves.

1 Like

The very recruitment questline could be uniting the high elves and, at the very end, renaming them as they are set on their new path. Perfect conclusion of a chapter in their history.

12 Likes

This is incorrect and your own personal opinion, as showcased from another thread.

The wowpedia is infamous for its immense focus on correct details and reference. As someone who helps keep ti updated, I can also attest to this. You are claiming something is ‘non-canon’ because it was at the time of Wrath written, and thus because you disagree with the mention that Highelves are “A remnant of a remnant”, you want it removed.

You and others can attempt to delete it, however the staff there take their tasks very seriously and will correct it as needed.

Thank you for your input to the wikipedia :slight_smile:

Nice appeal to authority. Hopefully the contribution you’re saying you make is a lie since you’re struggling with understanding that Blizzard stated Chronicles is canon, over previous sources.

9 Likes

That’s not how sources work. If you are in charge as you claim, then all you are doing is spreading misinformation.

3 Likes

You are attempting to twist words to fit your constant delusions. They stated Chronicle is indeed canon. They never stated the books written previously or lore is now incorrect.

I know you want in your trolling heart to discredit any and every claim that Highelves are not a remnant. However, that is simply not the case.

Thank you for your contribution, but wowpedia is indeed up to date and accurate :slight_smile:

You mean my frequent citations of the Lore?

Based on everything you’ve said you’d obviously be a terrible contributor to the wiki. Not only do you have an anemic understanding of the lore, your character isn’t something that should be associated with anything people value.

1 Like

Your input is taken, however as seen from your previous and rather aggressive posts in other threads that attempt to discredit any lore that does not fit into your ‘vision’, it is indeed taken with a grain of salt.

As stated, the Wowpedia is entirely up to date and accurate. All sources are referenced below.

I highly suggest not attempting to edit or remove a mention from a source if it does not fit your idea. This could result in your account being unable to edit wowpedia.

Thank you again for your contributions to the lore :slight_smile:

He’s not in charge. It’s a wiki. So anybody can contribute. You could go there now and contribute and set up a citation.

It’ll put the changes up for review so a community can decide on its accuracy.

But I’d like to see any changes he’s made based on the arguments he’s presented.

3 Likes

However, the line-

Modern high elves are a rare sight, and are commonly mistaken for blood elves.[12][13] In consequence, there are very few high elves left on Azeroth today. High elves did not gather in any significant numbers, nor did they act as a coordinated whole. They are a very small group of individuals scattered all over the world. As such, they do not have common opinions or goals. Indeed, modern high elves cannot even truly be said to have a culture—only a past filled with glory and regret.

Is very much incorrect since it only takes sources before Wrath of the Lich King- which introduced Dalaran- a city brimming with High Elves, as well as The Silver Covenant- a large High Elven faction that has made several major appearances since- including Pandaria and Legion.

11 Likes