The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Sin’dorei “blood mages” aren’t actually blood magic users. It’s just a title for their top mages. Not even WC3 blood mages used any blood magic, they were speciallized in fire spells.

Yes, it’s confusing.

However, ever since Throne of Thunder, when they stole the Thunder King’s anima golems, blood elves have made at least some experiments with actual blood magic. In the Nazmir invasion you can see them using Torga’s blood to empower their anima golems. It is, however, a very limited example of sin’dorei blood magic.

5 Likes

Indeed. While I am supporting of wanting a High Elf paladin, I feel like a lot of the “High Elves HAVE to be paladins” is just inaccurate. They can, could be, yeah, but it’s not something that defines them, nor remotely iconic.

And oh! I don’t think I have ever seen her! But yeah, I tend not to count the Argent Crusade because its neutrality and they a whole different group, and I try to see at the explicitly alliance High Elf groups, and it’s odd we have just one Priest in there -Although we also know the Highvale ARE light worshipers lorewise, it just doesn’t translate to NPC’s- and in turn, there are 2 High Elf SC Paladins, Isimode and Rulen Lightsreap (and I think there’s another one I’m missing)

In contrast, we have other more commonplace Alliance High Elf NPC’s, predominantly Rangers and Mages, with also Rogues and Warriors appearing in lesser roles. Priests only really appear on flashbacks as Mage-Priests.

7 Likes

They haven’t talked about Blood Mages since Isle of Thunder though.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Blood_mage

Which is a shame. Blood Knights are still around. Blood Mages… they don’t want to talk about it.

3 Likes

TBH I don’t either see a big difference between Allerian and SC High Elves ideology wise, but I do think there’s potentially interesting one cohabitation wise:

While both are staunchly alliance in a similar way, SC High Elves are connected to Dalaran and its magocracy, they are citizens of a magical city, while the Allerian are mostly soldiers living on a small town, with a more down to earth lifestyle. There’s an interesting contrast to be had here.

1 Like

Yeah, I was looking up her armor and it appears to be based off the Avatar Raiment with different shoulders. (I’m not too familiar with cloth armor so you’ll have to forgive me for my lack of knowledge) it doesn’t seem distinctly… elven. I dunno.

1 Like

Allerian Elves haven’t been to Azeroth in a while, so there’s bound to be differences between them.

Their distinction could be that they’re much tighter with other Alliance races, being part of ye olde Human+Dwarf+Elf expedition group and having lived together as such since, whereas the Silver Covenant is almost exclusively High Elven.

6 Likes

It is indeed mostly the Avatar Raiment, which fits perfectly to an Argent Crusade Priest tbh! so it’s less elven and just more AC. And indeed, High Elves AND Blood Elves seem to lack explicit Priest looks overall: most of their cloth looks are more Mage focused (In the BE Heritage quest, Liadrin uses one of the Legion cloth looks, which are indeed elven, but more in the highborne way)

The didn’t actually start widely using it until ToT when the got their hands on the Dark Animus.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but that notion may imply that any racial group is isolated by defaullt? And it feels particularlty untrue for SC, who while a racial group, they are citizens of a multicultural city with humans and gnomes, much like the Allerian elves are, so I don’t feel this distinction is fitting.

Maybe it could be more of a class issue? Dalaran itself had issues ith other realms given their percieved elitism and they were seen with distrust. That might have lessened with time, but I do feel there can be a good contrast between the more sophisticated Dalarani and the down to earth Allerian

Thank’s everyone for answering my questions, I hope it wasn’t a bother. also

Main article: Blood Mage (Warcraft III)
Many of the stoic high elves, reeling from the loss of their ancient homeland, Quel’Thalas, have given in to their hatred and despair and embraced the dark side of their magical natures. Calling themselves “blood elves”, these cold hearted refugees seek to expand their remaining magical powers at any cost — even if it means courting the infernal powers of the Burning Legion. Though still loyal to the Alliance, the blood elves’ passions will lead them not only to the highest pinnacles of power, but to the darkest depths of madness.[3]

What happened to those Blood Elves, they sound cool, I want to be one of those, Giving into my hatred, embracing my darker side Blood Elf. Not the Do the shoes match this dress… where’s my hair care products kind of Blood Elf.

6 Likes

Well you see, Burning Crusade happened the Blood Elves had to become good people to attract players.

1 Like

I think its rather unfortunate. You can go up to a set and say “Elven Ranger!” “Elven Rogue!” “Elven Paladin/Warrior!” “Elven Mage!” But no real Priest set. One of their most iconic roles from the previous game.

2 Likes

“My blood cries out for the vengeance of my people’s blood, which can only be repaid with at least twice as much blood! Or maybe three times as much blood! Like if you went to hell, and it was full of blood, and that blood was on fire, and it was raining blood, then maybe that would be enough blood! Eh… but probably not.”

8 Likes

They went to Outland, became an enemy faction, and we murder-hobo-ed them.

All of them used to be like that but… retcons.

3 Likes

That is Just sad, They should of just left them as they were. They were so different from High Elves back then. Darn Blizzard should of made them the Original Pandaran conception. Give into hatred and embrace our darker side Blood Elves for the Horde. Stand true to our beliefs, and and honor your pledges High Elves for the Alliance. Instead the Alliance got squid Goats from space, and Horde got these we wish we were the good guy Blood Elves.

3 Likes

“Hi my name is Roy, i’m a magic addict”
“Hi Roy”

5 Likes

With enough work the Draenei eventually became a good part of the story.

But they also began the long list of Experimental Alliance races even after publicly apologising for the shoddy Draenei introduction.

8 Likes

And with their purpose fulfilled, they have disappeared into the background yet again…

I think the draenei only got really interesting when they were explored in WoD, and that’s their civilization before it was almost wiped out. Most of those elements have been lost in the main universe.

6 Likes

That’s borderline trollish.

We didn’t know the whole storyline of TBC when we rolled Blood Elves at launch, that we would be redeemed at the end via the Sunwell. I didn’t roll a Blood Elf because I felt they were morally good. I rolled one because I loved the High Elves and later Blood Elves in WC3 and was excited to play one.

While we’re throwing out Blood Mage quotes:
“By the blood of the Highborne!”

1 Like

“Side effects may include: dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, and halitosis. Magic is not for everyone. Consult your doctor before use.”

5 Likes