The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

I’m not saying Void Elves shouldn’t be further developed - N’Zoth knows they need it badly - but I don’t think increasing their numbers via political dissent is the best approach either.

Specially with, y’know, Void Elves all having schizophrenia. Wouldn’t it actually be good publicity for Lor’themar that all Blood Elves that oppose his regime are looneys who have been deeply twisted by the same force behind the Old Gods?

The Keebler Elves that lived in trees and passed out cookies? us Gnomes are related to them by the way

Also throwing in my vote for Alliance High Elves, keep fighting the good fight, for if you don’t fight you can’t win.

12 Likes

Well, the High Elves aren’t looneys who have been deeply twisted by the Void, but I don’t imagine most have an opinion on his rule aside from the whole, ‘joined the Horde,’ thing.

Personally I don’t see an issue with the people of Quel’Thalas seeing Lor’themar as right and the Void Elves as evidence of that. There’s no reason the Horde can’t benefit from an Alliance race being villainous.

3 Likes

I actually really love the voice actor for Shal’dorei males. It doesn’t fit my preconception of what he should sound like. But I could just sit and listen to it for a long time.

2 Likes

Gather around young ones, and I shall tell you a story from a long time ago, of a Dark Tribe of trolls that dwelled beneath Mount Hyjal and the magical well they discovered, the “Well of Eternity.” …

11 Likes

“Grandpa, you skipped my favorite part, where Aman’thul ripped the seven-headed old god Y’shaarj from Azeroth’s crust, and the wound left over became that Well of Eternity, again!”

(Side observation: This implies the Well of Eternity was made of pure Azerite, assuming the Azerite we’re seeing in BFA is indeed Azeroth’s lifeblood/energy and not some sinister Old God ploy. This also means that the current Well beneath Nordrassil, and the Sunwell, were also partly Azerite infused. Which also means Azerite in large enough concentrations could in theory be used as portals.)

1 Like

It is time, blizzard. High Elves are already in the Alliance.

Let us play them!

23 Likes

It’s kinda interesting they added this undercurrent of not only ideological, but political, dissent to Umbric’s group. I mean they HAD to, because otherwise it wouldn’t really had made sense for them to leave the Horde and join the Alliance so easily, but it indeed kinda frames their transformation to Void Elves, and even their study into the void, as possible secondary to their different political views.

So you can have quite a diverse origin for Umbric’s group not just as a group of scholars, but as a political movement within Quel’thalas with their own goals and ideology, that didn’t really trusted the Horde, and that chose to study the void to defend Quel’thalas on their own.

At least that helps me make more sense of the Void Elves apparent flip-floppiness.

8 Likes

Would make a lot more sense in the long run.

3 Likes

They should stop making any new creations until the existing, but unplayable, cultures in each faction are playable.

Alliance:
High Elves
Shen’dralar
Wildhammer Dwarves
Broken

Horde:
Ogres
Mok’nathal
Forest Trolls
Nathrezim (Varimathras says hi).

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

11 Likes

laughs in nope

My gripe with it is that Umbric is using a dangerous form of magic, and that would mean people would be afraid of joining this group of “radicals”. Seeking help from the quel’dorei would make more sense for dissenters than joining the ren’dorei.

And this opens another thing that bothers me: if there’s so many elves unhappy with Lor’themar’s rule that they would keep increasing the void elf numbers, then shouldn’t they also be seeking the high elves? Moving out into human lands, hoping for exile?

I can only see two types of elves that would naturally prefer to become a ren’dorei over seeking the quel’dorei: scholars interested in the Void and radicals/terrorists that are so against the current state of Silvermoon that they seek the Void as a weapon to fight back against Lor’themar and/or the Horde. I can’t see your regular civilian, ranger or warrior doing that.

The ideas being thrown here are nice, and may even be close to Blizzard’s intentions, but they really bother me because to work you need to completely ignore that there’s already another groups of elves opposing the thalassian regime for over a decade, and the form of magic the void elves chose would make people naturally wary of joining them. The void isn’t just a taboo: it’s maddening, corruptive, hard to cleanse and a way to bring terrible things to reality. Rommath actually had a point in exiling the ren’dorei.

8 Likes

TBH I think this is going to be a persistant issue with the Void Elves, in that you’re pretty much going to keep running into instances where either High Elves (or Shadow Priests) could have filled their role pretty easily.

5 Likes

This is why the only way to really let Void Elves open up their lore is to actually add High Elves. Then they could take on a life of their own and not be constantly going back to this “kinda High Elf, kinda not” thing they have now.

7 Likes

Unless Blizzard have some amazingly inspired thematic idea that they’ve yet to reveal (which, based on the last…few expansions of writings, seems highly unlikely), I’m inclined to agree with you.

Grudgingly, because I don’t like the idea of essentially taking the High Elves and gutting them in order to make Void Elves, a half baked idea at best, make sense and have a place in the world, since I think it kind of takes a dump on people who like High Elves and takes a dump on people who like Void Elves.

But I don’t really see many alternatives.

4 Likes

Indeed.

I can’t figure where void elf story is going because it’s not moving in any direction right now (they are just coming along for the ride in the war campaign). We still haven’t seen a single beat of a proper storyline for them.

I can see Blizzard merging the high and void elves as a possibility, but I can’t figure a way to do it without it feeling forced. Somehow, every high elf in the world is transformed? It makes no sense. It would also be very confusing, as the high elves in old zones would still remain there.

Another alternative is to have ren’dorei and quel’dorei have symbiotic relationship, a common society for both, in which one form the buck of the population and the other is just a special force that is formed by converting high elves. But then it wouldn’t stop the high elf requests.

I don’t see a lot of future for void elves outside of that. They are a extremely limited “race” in every aspect, including possible storylines. Once the Void loses the spotlight, what will remain of them? They have nothing interesting outside of that.

1 Like

For those who want to see the most recent allied race discussion.

3 Likes

Tip: you can post You Tube links without having rank 3. A few other sites are also allowed, I think WoWHead is among them.

2 Likes

:blue_heart:

I knew about Wowhead. not about youtube.

Assuming that they want and like to hear feedback, well we should continue speculating and discussing about their possible lore, classes, visuals etc. It’s better than wasting time arguing with stubborn people.

9 Likes