The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Tens or hundreds of people leaving Quel’thalas every year couldn’t possibly go unnoticed - specially with Blood Elves having a population so small.
Thousands of people living a floating rock in space sounds unfeasible

Alleria introduces us to Void Elves as “a group of Sin’dorei exiled for studying the Void”.
The Void Elf information page simply refers to them as “seeking to harness the corruptive magic of the Void”
We never see anything about political dissent in-game when we see Umbric’s past. All we see is him performing research on the Void with the intention of developing it as a “tool” for the Sin’dorei to use against their enemies. Working years to “comprehend the powers the Void might provide”.

That’s also part of the problem with Void Elves. They’re all about the Void. They’re entirely dedicated to controlling it… and that’s all there is to them.

But this sudden political agenda, with hundreds and hundreds of dissenters from Silvermoon coming to live in a barren rock on space under this cabal looking into the most corrupting force in the cosmos, would come as out of nowhere as the Void Elves themselves did. And that isn’t exactly great.

1 Like

I don’t entirely disagree, but if we do not allow ourselves to develop the background of Umbric and his followers to create a culture, because we only have what we currently have on them, then we’ll never actually get a background.

How the Void Elves were introduced was terrible. We can never change that. What we can do is to develop them. If we refuse to flesh-out their past because it wasn’t given to us upfront, then we’ll never get anywhere.

[Edit]: Also, I hardly imagine a few hundred people going missing over a period of several years, years where we had countless wars and conflicts, is all that much of an immersion-breaker. I’d like to imagine the government was doing it’s own act of making people disappear during that time as well. Your average civilian would probably think that Mr. Elfin Nounverb next door disappearing would be as much a result of his vocal opinion in support of the Alliance as his interest in dark magic. People assume the Magisters finally took him away. Reality is he vanished and the Magisters assume he wised up and got out of town.

1 Like

Elsewhere, perhaps, but Silvermoon was decimated a couple of decades back.

100 Blood Elves is a lot of Blood Elves.

The bigger the population of Void Elves, the more unbelievable it is that the Blood Elves never did anything about them, that Lor’themar kept exiling them, that no else ever paid attention to them.

Don’t forget that Silvermoon is the highest concentration of Blood Elves, period. If Blood Elves going missing is going to go unnoticed anywhere, it’ll be in Silvermoon. 100 Blood Elves is a lot, but there are thousands of High Elves, which are supposed to be a lot fewer. For all we know, there are deserters in Umbric’s ranks whom were presumed dead.

And don’t forget, more Blood Elves keep coming to the Telogrus Rift to study the Void, so clearly, even now, the government of Quel’Thalas isn’t noticing or keeping tabs on what every single person is doing.

Void Elves are going to suffer the fate of every new and experimental Alliance race.

They are going to to be highly irrelevant until their specific founding story arc is relevant again.

Draenei - Fighting the Legion.
Worgen - Revenge against the Forsaken.
Pandaren - Panda stuff…
And now Void Elves - Dealing with the Void.

Remember when they publicly apologized for the shoddy introduction of Draenei and how they said they would do a better job of properly seeding races? They failed.

13 Likes

There’s also the fact that why would anyone who wasn’t deeply interested in studying/mastering the Void throw their lot with Umbric, and move into a barren rock in Space.

Even more baffling is the idea of civillians doing so - leaving their pretty homes and comfy lives to be so near to madness.

4 Likes

Look you’re preaching to the choir here as far as Void Elves being a terrible, terrible mistake that never should have happened, and that they should have had so much more, including a proper settlement on those rocks in space, rather than some scattered tents.

We’re not going to get what we deserve from Void Elves. The best we can hope for is something, anything, to better flesh them out.

Personally, I think the angle of one of many political groups that failed in the aftermath of the Sunwell’s restoration is a fine way to go about it.

5 Likes

This is a good work, I like it so much. :open_mouth:

Vexander’s idea is good. It fleshes out a group that desperately needs development. The retcon already happened, fleshing it out won’t do any harm.

4 Likes

Thank you.

I’d also like to think it’s an opportunity for players of Blood Elves to not only see what was happening in Quel’Thalas after BC, but just how the Blood Elves have been changing since. We can see how different groups within the lore (and even some shaped by sentiments from players), rose up in those chaotic times in an attempt to effect change in Quel’Thalas, and how they all failed as the Blood Knights gloriously protected Quel’Thalas and it’s interests.

It might even be a chance for Lor’themar of all people to shine as a leader. Or Halduron to be actively doing something.

After all, Void Elves share all the lore Blood Elves have until about 5 minutes into the Void Elf recruitment scenario.

5 Likes

You’re doing just fine; keep those ideas and concepts coming!
Especially about the stance and ear positions; very intriguing and interesting.
Flips hair and wriggles ears

4 Likes

I think any additions of new Void Elves are going to come from Silvermoon as a way of the people who don’t agree with Lor’themar to escape their oppressive government.

Retconning more from the past just wouldn’t work.

To be fair, a significant aspect to the Void Elf identity is being former Blood Elves who have become disenfranchised with Quel’Thalas. I don’t think new Void Elves being from any High Elves would do anything to change that.

There’s also the fact that everyone related to Void Elves has said something about ‘liberating’ Quel’Thalas.

The direction is pretty much already there.

5 Likes

The only things we need ‘liberating’ from is the Dead Scar, Queen Roadkill and any pretensions that the Alliance would have anything to do with us.
Flips hair

Won’t stop them from trying.

3 Likes

With a very uncharacteristic coldness
Let them come: I, personally, detest having to go up against fellow Elves, of any kind.

But that won’t stop me.

1 Like

Catapults Alleria into the Sunwell

But really, I see an underground insurgence with Void Portals teleporting people in and out as the best plan.

4 Likes

/silly - “In my day there was only one kind of elf.”

Oooo, really?
STORYTIME!
Settles down and waits for Grampa’s stories