The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

You mean like Silver Elves.

“High elves to me mean loyalty to friends and family above all. What I want specifically for them to be is to embody the ranger culture that was prevalent in the ranger core of quel’thalas. The classic wood elf feels but to also incorporate elements from the high elves of Stormwind and dalaran giving them magi and a link to the kirin tor as well as paladins

Friends or family? Because the Humans were their friends, and they chose not to follow the majority of their race- could be considered their family. And you want them to embody the Ranger culture, but you also want them to have paladins? Blood Knights are a Blood Elf thing. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately.

To me, the High Elves are an adherence to tradition, principles, and family all while hoping for a better future. A renewed future. The High Elves have fought for peace and responsibility (especially in magical use as they are fully aware of the consequences) in the world since their exile from Kalimdor. The Sin’dorei, and now the Ren’dorei have all abandoned their traditional views and way of life when it comes to magical responsibility and traditional values. Values which were long intact due to lessons learned in the first coming of the Burning Legion. Those two have worked with and embraced the very forces that the Quel’dorei have long fought to keep at bay. It is as though they have completely forgotten their own heritage to become that which seeks power at any cost, regardless of the consequences. The Quel’dorei have held onto and openly embraced their traditional ways without succumbing to such a low and basal instinct as one would expect from the other races of Azeroth who are not nearly so long-lived and have not learned the same lessons as a whole people. They are unique, filled with an unwavering integrity in the face of even the darkest days and the ravages of the scourge. Instead of succumbing to the darkness of fel and void like many of their kin they have embraced their unique, continuing cultural identity with renewed fervor; never betraying their principles. Never becoming the ‘joiner’ in the 'if you can’t beat them, join them," mentality. They truly are High Elves in name, action, and in continued principles; which makes them an undeniable and unique bright star in the Warcraft universe

This is downplaying the history and struggles of the Sin’dorei drastically. Their original mission was never to search for power. In fact, most of them were only following their prince. They were loyal to their home. For the sake of lengthiness that’s all I’ll say.

“To me, High elves represent the Alliance more than most of the races currently in it. They are a strong, independent people who parted from their kin during the most difficult times. And unlike the Blood elves, they never lost their way. They’ve stayed true to themselves and to the Alliance. That loyalty is something that most playable races today lack. They have always believed in the Alliance, and for that reason alone, they should finally be their own playable race.

Well that isn’t what the Alliance represents. In fact, that sounds more like what the Horde represents.

“ In a time when chaos and uncertainty reign, the Alliance remains steadfast in its determination to bring light to the darkest corners of the world” This seems more like what the Alliance represents. And the High Elves do embody it, but not moreso than most other alliance races.

And on a more serious note…
Their inclusion as a playable race would be a really nice gesture to Alliance players amongst the current hostility. Sometimes, it feels like Blizzard is putting Horde players’ opinions first with every new feature. For once, I’d like to see them put the Alliance first, and give us something of actual value. Give us something that makes us proud to be playing our faction.”

It would be entirely superficial if you became proud to be on your faction because of a race. If you’re not proud to be playing it now, perhaps the “pride” is more for the race. And if that’s the case, it sounds more like a Sin’dorei mindset to me.

This is only a game of course, so don’t take that response to heart, I couldn’t find a better way to word it.

High Elves, why should they be added? Well in my opinion not because of what they are, but because of what they represent. High Elves were always deeply connected with azerothian humanity and served as something like (analogically) its older cousins. They tutored humankind since its very origin in Arathor and continued to teach other (now Alliance) races and nations about the world. It’s because of them that Alliance exists in its current form and i feel like it’s really shame that they can’t be officially part of what they helped to build.“ -

If this were event remotely true, High elves would be the main race of the Alliance, not humans.

High Elves are the Elves who choose loyalty over nationality. People who chose their friends over their brethren. They are the elves who overcame the mana addiction without fel magic. I want them because they have a lot to bring to the lore of Warcraft and represent a missed opportunity at deepening the story behind the Alliance/Horde conflict
Also, Elves just belong with humans dwarves and gnomes

Blood elves and High elves are both loyal. To different things. High Elves to the humans, and Blood elves to their own kind.

**As for the rest of the post, I don’t have anything to say about it because I believe High Elves should be given more growth before being added as an Allied race. The reason I made this post was to really spark a discussion about why High elves are really desired so much. Not to try to argue against their inclusion, but to see if the reasons given are disengenuous. **

1 Like

They could go a different route with the High Elf/Dragon thing. Something like this:

The High Elves are the elf group who aren’t tapping a power source. Kalecgos, who already has ties to the High Elves, sees this as a risk when all the other elves have more magical power than them. And so he gifts them a portion of his power, the Gift of Kalecgos, which imbues the High Elves with the might of the Blue Dragonflight.

They are not changed into dragons. They look the same, except for the fact that their eyes go from having obvious irises to a bright blue glow, showing the dragon’s power in their bodies.

You could have a racial or two with a dragon theme that also fits High Elves, like ones based on frost magic (a theme they both share already). The Gift of Kalecgos could be a racial that empowers all attacks with additional frost damage for x seconds with a chance to freeze them in place (like a frost nova does).

Or their racial can be frost charge, like the high Elf in island expedition, always frost charging me!

1 Like

Great catch! Yea, that would be pretty neat.

1 Like

That’s just a plot background for a generic “power-up”, I’d be fine with that, but a lot of people would want something more draconic than that. Kinda like some were upset with void elves because they wanted Ethereals.

1 Like

Yea, that is true. But I guess all we can do it put out cool ideas and hope one of the devs really takes a liking to it.

No. Their families were in the human kingdoms. Some married humans while others had most or all of their family there.

No to what, exactly?

My response to you was

Friends or family? Because the Humans were their friends, and they chose not to follow the majority of their race- could be considered their family. And you want them to embody the Ranger culture, but you also want them to have paladins? Blood Knights are a Blood Elf thing. Can’t have it both ways unfortunately.

And I see no evidence of High Elves having family in the Human Kingdoms aside from a few of them staying loyal to the Alliance through the Kirin Tor. Perhaps you could provide me with some?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Amisi_Azuregaze
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Arille_Azuregaze

Mind you, it’s speculated they are a couple only because they share the last name. For all we know they’re half-elf siblings and one simply looks more human and the other looks more elven.

2 Likes

Oh okay, well allow me to clarify what I meant by that. I assumed Fliktarg meant that the reason High Elves stood loyal to the Alliance at the time their race split was because of their families in the Human kingdoms.

What you’ve given me is evidence of a human and elf being related as of Wrath of the Lich King, which would make sense given that would be about 5(?) years after all that occurred.

But is it stated that High Elves chose the Alliance because of their family?

Ah.

Sorry, but the only prominent examples I can think of would be within the Windrunners. Vereesa and Rhonin, Alleria and Turalyon. Half-Elves do exist so I imagine there are others.

That having been said, I always have felt the reasons the High Elves stayed in the Alliance were many and varied based on each individual elf’s perception and needs. For example, elves in Dalaran might’ve had families, while those in other Kingdoms were already loyal to the Alliance. Some might’ve not liked the tales of mana draining, others might’ve heard rumors of Fel and the use of Demonic Magic and stayed away.

Family and Friends certainly seem like a good reason High Elves would’ve stayed in the Alliance, but not the only one and probably not the most notable one.

Right. So given that it’s not a main or even notable reason when compared to others

No. Their families were in the human kingdoms. Some married humans while others had most or all of their family there.

This is not only wrong, but doesn’t really make sense in the context of my response :man_shrugging:

I mean, their statement isn’t wrong in that it doesn’t speak for a specific number though implies a large amount.

The division in families as a result of the split between Blood Elves and High Elves is something that has been touched upon, actually. In one of the Pandaria short stories, a Blood Elf who is the former husband of Vyrin from the Loch Modan Lodge is featured, and explains how the divide ruined their marriage.

would love to see a GoT style warcraft series where high elves and humans fought off the trolls and the opening of the dark portal

Sure, but given that I was referring to the High elves as a whole, it’s likely he was as well. And really, my main point has nothing to do with that. Hence

This is not only wrong, but doesn’t really make sense in the context of my response

I can’t say I disagree. I don’t think it’s a good idea to paint in broad strokes unless you’re a developer, and even then that broad stroke is across an otherwise blank canvas with lots of room to add more.

what was up with blizz in early classic WoW adding high elves everywhere? like the rangers in the dwarf starter zones around the ogres, the ones in plaugelands, theramoore etc. It really hyped up the idea that High Elves were coming. Everyone thought blood elves were villains though and not a playable race…

2 Likes

Hard to say for sure. A Reputation for High Elves was going to be added in vanilla called, ‘Silvermoon Remnants.’ It never made it in, and it’s presumed the idea was used instead for the Silver Covenant in Wrath.

Either way, the presence of so many High Elves in Alliance territory or in Alliance bases was no doubt intentional. Probably threads for abandoned storylines, such as Night Elves and High Elves putting the past behind them, or even potentially playable High Elves down the line. Night Elves and High Elves have certainly found some common ground across WoW’s lifetime so I feel that one might be a bit more likely.

2 Likes

Our player characters are part of the broad strokes that blizzard makes when creating the story. So I agree somewhat. If blizzard didn’t operate this way we’d have a lot more customization and freedom when it comes to character creation. I care a lot about this because I’m an RPer, almost all my characters are special snowflakes lol.

For example, if blizzard didn’t tell stories like this, we’d be able to make our Blood Elves blue eyed. It’s a stretch to say every single blood elf was exposed to the fel crystals, so there’d be a few who hadn’t been tainted.

But they don’t, so I argue accordingly. Otherwise, I agree with you