The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

Personally I am only okay with HE customization for VE if the lore reason is that High Elves join the Void Elves, otherwise is just nothing for High Elven lore.

high elves shouldnt be paladins for rejecting elune

Pretty much. I mean Iā€™m fine with the lore for High Elf Paladins remaining that way - that theyā€™re trained by the Humans and Dwarves (and maybe Arator is their representative within the Silver Hand or something).

I donā€™t necessarily think they have to have their own order or anything. Itā€™s not like the Blood Knights, who came to serve the Light from a very different angle.

3 Likes

Yeah, if HE paladins were to be playable, they would most likely just be members of the Church of Holy Light, they really donā€™t seem to have either the need or inclination to have an Order of their own. Considering that Light worshipping on Quelā€™thalas was imported from human beliefs and not even then High Elves seemed to actually have a Holy Order, it kinda sounds like HEā€™s were not really organized religiously, and that doesnā€™t seem to have changed for those that call themselves High Elves today.

IMO if High Elves were to have their own Holy Order, it would be interesting to see it patterned by the Highvaleā€™s beliefs, they have a cool thing going on with the Nature/Light combo and it would be fun to see a more spiritual and naturalistic approach to the Light that is less focused on doctrine but still being a derivative of the Human rituals.

Tho I wonder how different that would be on practice from Sunwalkers?

4 Likes

Iā€™m still a huge fan of the High Elf collective being formed from multiple groups.

Iā€™d go with the High Elf Priests and Paladins coming from Stormwind, and naturally belonging to the Church there.

But I get that Highvale has some Paladin training or whatever going on there. Still Iā€™d like to see that particular area dedicated to training in Shamanism.

7 Likes

OMG Edits appear in real time!

But yeah honestly the safest route is just making Priest and Paladins just members of the Church of Holy Light, but I do think the Highvale have something very potentially interesting going on which would be cool, although yeah, not necessary, but that would indeed give the Highvale something unique to bring to the plate -as the Shamanism, while a cool concept that would be very interesting, is just fun speculation-

1 Like

Agreed. I didnā€™t think theyā€™d carry over this topic since it wasnā€™t made within the past two weeks. I guess 4k is too big to simply ignore? :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah, as unlikely as it is, I do love the idea of High Elf shamans. Itā€™d just be such a great point of difference, and you could concoct all sorts of interesting lore about High Elves learning to tap alternative fonts of power and becoming more attuned to nature in a way that is entirely unique to them.

1 Like

Whoa. Alt posting. Thatā€™s odd. Also I can like my own comment? Thatā€™s weird lmao.

3 Likes

Iā€™m screwed then :smile: (@edits)

Personally I would find the absence of High Elf shaman to be disappointing, if only because it would be the last chance for elves to ever have access to Shaman. I also would like to see it as representative of the shift away from their more arcane/shadow-oriented cousins.

Still itā€™s not like Iā€™d ever play one so itā€™s more about potential story and gameplay opportunities rather than any personal stake.

The way I look at it, itā€™d be an excellent way to encourage more Shamans on Alliance. If Realmpop is anything to go by, thereā€™s some pretty major population imbalance with most Shamans being on the Horde, so giving a race like High Elves the option to roll Shamans would definitely boost the appeal of Shamans as a class option on the Alliance.

4 Likes

I mean yeah I agree! It would be pretty cool, and itā€™s not like new lore canā€™t be added ha, all Iā€™m saying is that there isnā€™t a base for it in the current lore, for all thatā€™s worth.

IMO I am a proponent of HE Shamans because they certainly would give something very unique amongst elves, so it really feels like a very good opportunity to add differentiation. And even while I do think that High Elves paladins are the first thing in the chopping block of differentiation should they become playable, it is also true that of all elf races, only one can be paladin, so yeah, could HE get shamans AND Paladins? Sometimes I feel is one or the other, but could not be such.

11 Likes

Basically, my approach is that I donā€™t think weā€™ll ever know what Blizzard did and didnā€™t consider if they decide to go through with High Elves, but supposedly they do read threads like this, so itā€™s more a case of throwing ideas at a wall, exploring and discussing those various ideas, and seeing what sticks.

6 Likes

I would think that High Elves having a culture which is, at least partly, built around an emergent culture of shamanism would make them enormously distinct.

In the same way that only BEā€™s being capable of playing as Paladins makes that aspect of their culture quite unique, relative to all varieties of elves, HEā€™s being the only group to be able to play as Shamans would be swell.

5 Likes

Shamans are the only class that hasnā€™t been over saturated by elves.

I would like to keep it that way.

2 Likes

They donā€™t blame you if youā€™re Horde. Redo the scenario or look it up againā€¦

Nothing happens to you, Halduron simply tells you to be weary of Lorthemar and Rommath, thatā€™s about it.

3 Likes

Agreed, overall I do think itā€™s important that our feedback is not only focused on ā€œwe want X thingā€ but in also showing the potential that exists to make High Elves distinct enough and can bring some some new things instead of being just Blood Elves with blue eyes.

One of the things I love about this thread that is not just about wanting High Elves, but about the potential we see on them, and how different that actually is between different posters.

Personally, I just want something cool be done with them so their presence pays off, and that is my priority.

11 Likes

I really wish Blizzard would give us high elves. They have such a rich background and are a core element of the lore. It just seems like we get teased with high elves all the time as npcā€™s. Seriously, there are so many of them. What difference would it make if we had some of them being playable characters?

16 Likes

Well the stock tanking may be the High Elf fans best news yet. More likely to add a fan favorite when subs are on the rocks.

2 Likes

The thread survived!

High Elf fans unite!

:elf::elf:t2::elf::elf:t6:

That is the exact approach I would go for.

And if Worgen and Troll Druids can join the Cenarion Circle then I donā€™t see why a naturalistic Paladin canā€™t be part of the Silver Hand.

As for not being many active onesā€¦ Kul Tiran mages.

I have searched all over and I found exactly one living High Elf Warlock with the title listing of ā€œSummonerā€ who might only be a Warlock out of game mechanics.

12 Likes