The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

and the patriarchal founder of it all returns

I live you dont need a sub to post anymore.

5 Likes

Welcome back Pontifice!

6 Likes

Exactly. So, I’ll be on the High Elven forum train once more.

11 Likes

Glad to see your back and hopefully well, even though there has been no difference since you left in High Elves being playable :frowning:

5 Likes

Wonderful, so then we have more time to enjoy the fight.

6 Likes

People, Blizzard said that accounts whichdon’t have an active account are not intended to be able to participate in the forums. So, at some point in the future I’ll be denied to talk here.

Source: You don’t need a sub to post now! - #15 by Linsivi

3 Likes

Even with people using the new forums to bash this thread, I will continue to support it. I only care about my own opinions.

11 Likes

Nice, the thread survived! Keep up the good fight, and remember ignore the trolls!

15 Likes

I very sincerely believe that BfA’s goalpost, with Allied Races, is to implement one new playable race that is directly related to one of the existing playable races (excluding Pandaren). As of this moment, the only ones we’re missing are:

Gnomes
Goblins
Worgen
Forsaken

The first two are likely to be introduced in 8.2, made available in 8.2.5.
The second two are likely to be introduced in 8.3, made available in 8.3.5.

I doubt this is likely to change, meaning any additional Allied Races would have to fit into the narrative(s) of the future. Furthermore, I’m not convinced that Blizzard will continue the practice of adding numerous Allied Races throughout any future expansion(s); instead, it seems more likely that they return to adding them at the beginning of the expansion, but utilizing the same function of implementation as Allied Races use (such as not having starter zones or being recruited via a lengthy scenario, possibly made even more thoroughly than they currently are).

I agree with most of that. I’ve said since 7.3.5 that there would be 12 allied races (because the allied race banners in the character selection screen allows for 12) and that the system is mostly a BfA thing. After BfA, it’s likely to be less used.

The gnome (junknomes) and goblin (vulpera) races are certain at this point. I’m just not sure about what comes in 8.3.5. There’s a chance that, instead of worgen or undead, we may get a “kul tiran” model allied race as mok’nathal or ogre, because Rexxar model has details that don’t make sense for a unique NPC. It seems it was built over an existing but never before seen generic ogre/mok’nathal asset, so it leads me to suspect the last pair of allied races may break the pattern. It also makes sense that, since kul tirans are the only totally new playable model of BfA that Blizzard would try to reuse it.

What will become of the system post-BfA is anyone’s guess. I think we may see new allied races rarely after the first 12. Next expansion could very well return to conventional races, we never know.

I think it will actually be Gilblins and Samurai Fish. But I do think High Elves will still come in the final BFA content patch. That way, they are technically one whole expansion apart from Void Elves.

I don’t get why people think those are meant to be allied races. We saw exactly one slide with an old gilblin model and a single concept art of the samurai fish, there’s nothing there pointing they’ll have bigger roles.

Also, after all the work Blizzard did with vulpera, and the fact that they were instant fan-favorites, I really don’t see any other possible “goblin” allied race than them. Gilblins are very lackluster in comparison.

Next allied races are the junkers and the vulpera, I have no doubt of it. What comes after is up to discussion, however.

Junkers maybe. But Vulpera are old news at this point. Pretty sure they are only supposed to be an NPC group in the Horde.

I think the Gilblins and fish are going to be playable because they said they wanted to release things that fit the context and story at the time. That would be perfect for an deep ocean theme like in 8.2.

If Vulpera or Sethrak were ever meant to be Allied Races, I am pretty sure they would have been released in the Dark Iron/Mag’har slots.

Blizzard does not have infinite resources, and won’t waste resources where they are not needed. Trust me, vulpera will be playable.

I won’t be surprised at all if the Horde-side Mechagon story has goblins hiring vulpera as workforce, and then Galliwyx decides to recruit the vulpera into the Horde because they are a cheap labor force or something like that.

2 Likes

Gallywix hiring the Gilblins makes more sense, considering that the two groups have had relations in the past. Plus, they’re known to be even more daring than land-based Goblins when it comes to risk versus reward scenarios.

It is entirely probable that Vulpera (and Sethrak) are simply the Jinyu/Hozen of BfA.

Blizzard, post-BfA, just needs to bite the proverbial bullet and pair High Elves with Ogres; the oft requested throwback pairing.

Well Vulpera and Sethrak I hope become Allied Races, but I remember blizzard saying Allied Races give players similar models but open up class combinations, think of Mag’har Orc Priests, well regular Orcs couldn’t be Priests Allied Races give the opportunity for it to be possible.

I’m really hoping they do something similar with The Quel’dorei, bring Druidism or Shamanism to the Elven model opening up that class combination and I personally think Alliance do need more Druid and Shaman classes.

Shamans seem to be a higher probability, but I just wish Blizzard would speak on this topic, either let us know if High Elf options are coming to Void Elves or let us know that it is in the works of a probability of High Elves joining the Alliance, they always give such vague answers they never ever say no… and when they do they usually go back on their word, think about classics wow they said never gonna happen and now it’s coming soon.

Their silence is worse then not saying anything at all :frowning:, just put me out of my misery on this topic.

Don’t worry, High Elves joined Alliance already.

I agree, I just think we should not have High Elven druids because this invades the Nigh Elven elven-fantasy. High Elves are residents of lodges which deals with the forest in a practical way, not a magical (or religious) way.

With that, is reasonable to have shamans in them, as you can relate living out of big cities and next to nature as something which brings you out of arcane culture and next to ritualistic shaman culture.

But, using this to give them druids, can make some confusion, because druids imply religious relationships with nature, something we don’t see in High Elves.

According to one of the Legacy of the Quel’dorei mods, Crazed Raven, which affirms that he talked with Ion; Blizzard do not considered make High Elves playable in this expansion, but, they will discuss them in the next expansion.

So, Blizzard is basically decided to just discuss High Elves in the next expansion.

8 Likes

Gallywix hiring the Gilblins makes more sense

Man, I have no idea why people fixated on gilblins. How many “Unofficial Gilblin appreciation threads” have appeared? The demand for them is almost zero, you can barely find someone wishing to play a gilgoblin, Meanwhile, vulpera are fan-favorites and had their models redone from scratch during 8.0 to a quasi-playable status. You can use glyph of disguise on a rogue and pickpocket a vulpera, and even your race name changes.

People betting on gilblins are choosing to ignore that vulpera have what really matters here: time and resources spent on developing them and appeal to a playerbase. They also feel new while not being something really new.

Remember why Blizzard said they chose to use “allied races” rather than sub-races? Because the races won’t always be associated with existing ones. Right now, all allied races are just sub-races. So I guess vulpera will be the first one to not be a variation of an existing race.

It is entirely probable that Vulpera (and Sethrak) are simply the Jinyu/Hozen of BfA.

Jinyu/Hozen came out before an allied race system existed, thought. I do think Sethrak won’t be playable, which will disappoint a lot of people. They have nowhere near the amount of work put into them as vulpera had.

But vulpera? I’m pretty sure they’ll be the Horde race of the next pair. Vulpera is the most likely playable race among all possibilities right now.

@Pepino

Well Vulpera and Sethrak I hope become Allied Races, but I remember blizzard saying Allied Races give players similar models but open up class combinations, think of Mag’har Orc Priests, well regular Orcs couldn’t be Priests Allied Races give the opportunity for it to be possible.

Vulpera are based on goblin model, only thing really different is the face.

I agree, I just think we should not have High Elven druids because this invades the Nigh Elven elven-fantasy. High Elves are residents of lodges which deals with the forest in a practical way, not a magical (or religious) way.

With that, is reasonable to have shamans in them, as you can relate living out of big cities and next to nature as something which brings you out of arcane culture and next to ritualistic shaman culture.

Man, that’s such a fantastic way to put it. I was never really able to articulate why High Elf druids just felt wrong on some level, no matter how awesome it may be. Ultimately whatever happens happens, and I won’t put up any fight against druids being an open option for High Elves, buuuut, Shaman does seem more plausible for those reasons you’ve stated.

I don’t know much about you sir, but I’m sad you’re not going to be able to post more often once Blizz fixes the bug allowing non subscribed people to post.

2 Likes

Just throwing in my support for High Elves :slight_smile: I think they would be a nice edition to the game!

14 Likes

I’m here to show my support for Alliance High Elves in this new era of forum-life!

16 Likes