The truth about "Orc Fatigue" "night elf fatigue" "Human Fatigue"

Yeah there’s probably something in the works for Azshara in one of the future expansions since she disappeared during Nyalotha after we saved her.

I think having Occuleth and Thylessera (sp) being there was kind of close enough. I think both were sort of amongst her court so to speak or were close enough to her by proxy. So they probably deemed it not neccessary for Tyrande nor Malfurion to be there. Suramar was a major part of the Kaldorei Empire before they cut themselves off to hide from the Legion.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of words just to say “akshually the three zones fully centered on ancient and modern Kaldorei stuff are not Kaldorei zones”

3 Likes

I like providing context into my points so that way people understand what I said better and not misconstrue it. Let me live.

8 Likes

And that is in a span of 6 years. With plenty of none night elven content sprinkled in.

Ah no that’s in the span of one expansion (Legion)

4 Likes

Suramar is not night elven content. It is nightborne content which is now Horde content.

1 Like

Suramar is ancient Kaldorei stuff and the Shal’dorei joining the Horde in BFA doesn’t retroactively make the Legion Suramar arc a Horde arc

12 Likes

It doesnt make it Alliance/night elven one either. It was NEUTRAL content.

If content is based purely on race, then we have had a tone of Troll content that are all Horde one when we demolished the various Troll tribes.

1 Like

“Neutral” strictly in terms of faction alignment ? Yes
Thematically neutral ? No

6 Likes

Then we have had a ton of Horde thematic content considering we destroyed, what 5 troll tribes?

Classic to MoP had troll content. Therefore from classic to MoP we had a ton of Horde thematic content.

1 Like

Ah sure you can say that the day we get an Amani zone with a gigantic Amani city in which we help out Amani Trolls recapture their home and spend the entire arc questing and interacting with friendly Amani characters

As opposed to, you know

Just killing Amani Trolls

5 Likes

That is basically what you do with the Zandalari.

Dont worry. If they do that they will make them neutral. You know, the perfect allied race for midnight.

1 Like

Yes, as I said we got one major Troll arc throughout arguably the entire history of WoW, which is apparently enough for devs to feel crushed under the weight of Troll Fatigue

6 Likes

Believe it or not, but killing trolls is not the Horde content you think it is. In fact, this lends to the point that it’s silly for Warlords to have “orc fatigue” because it was primarily about KILLING orcs.

Yet the majority of Night Elf content from Legion to Dragonflight features them as allies. Funny that.

15 Likes

I think an issue to be considered is that, ‘fatigue,’ itself is fairly biased.

How does one measure, ‘fatigue?’ I’ll admit to having felt some Orc Fatigue myself when WoD wrapped up, but for me it wasn’t WoD alone which led to that. Horde content in WoW up to that point had been largely Orc dominated. Even in Northrend, a point where Blood Elves and Forsaken should’ve been at the forefront of the Horde’s narrative in fighting the Lich King, Garrosh took center stage, being the one featuring in the raid itself as opposed to Sylvanas, whom only featured in the dungeon.

Taking in everything from Northrend, Cata, MoP, and WoD, four expansions which made Garrosh Hellscream the poster child for everything Orc and Horde related, I think my fatigue with them was well due.

I feel a bit the same about humans in the Alliance. It was about Varian just as long, if not a little longer. Jaina played a bit role. Anduin replaced Varian. Unlike the Horde, the Alliance’s story never stopped focusing on the story of human characters. Small wonder people consider it boring. Seeing the Night Elves get focus for a change was a breath of fresh air, but even that played second fiddle to Anduin’s tale.

That said, yes, I’m grown fatigued when it comes to Night Elves as well. They didn’t dominate every patch of the last four expansions the way Garrosh did since he was introduced, but they didn’t need to. The Night Elf storyline which started in BFA dragged on needlessly.

I find myself wondering what race I’d like to see feature prominently in an expansion, and find myself coming up short. It’s been a while since Blood Elves got to do more than fill roles as bit players for the Horde’s story, often being the bridge between the Horde and the Alliance because Baine is too ruined to do anything with other than have him spend an expansion sitting in the corner.

My concern with Blood Elves, is Void Elves. That’s always been a ticking time bomb. Void Elves did so much damage to Blood Elf lore and narratives, and they’re bound to do more come Midnight. Even if the Void Elves wind up as the antagonist faction, they’ll still have been proven right in that the void was a threat to Quel’Thalas that needed to be studied and prepared for.

Really not sure what races or characters I want to see get the spotlight going forward. Half of those whom do step onto that stage don’t make it off intact.

In short, I feel fatigued anytime Blizzard focuses on a single character’s story, or race, for very long. Never thought I’d say it, but I’m feeling dragon fatigue right now.

9 Likes

I used to want the worgen to take center stage, but after the gilneas quest line next patch, I’m okay with the occasional cameo of Genn and the worgen

Blizz often ruins everything they touch for too long after all. But I would say that the tweet from Covington shows that there are employees of blizzard who are still deeply out of touch when it comes to our concerns

7 Likes

They actually evolved into their own being. By that logic blood/high/void elves and naga are also Night Elfs. All four groups originated from night elves and evolved from them.

And technically also by that logic then all night elf content is actually Troll content since they evovlved from trolls.

11 Likes

No he does not. I suggest REREADING it:

“Orc fatigue” had nothing to do with developer preference for certain narratives or factions over others.

He does not say “orc fatigue” is not real. He is however saying it is not because of faction favoratism or real world cultural tie-ins.

I think part of the reason why night elves have gotten some much screentime in the last 4 expansions is because of the burning of teldrassil outrage (which got so annoying imo). since bfa’s beta people were LOSING it over the night elf tree getting destroyed (and sylvanas’ arc in relation to it) and i think that blizz is still trying to damage control it with bel’emeth and trying to get a ‘satisfying ending’ for this long-winded nelf arc

6 Likes

Of course, but that’s besides the point. Suramar is the direct continuation of the Kaldorei Empire in nearly every way (that’s kinda where the appeal lies, actually), and ancient imperial Highborne stuff is a central part of the Night Elves’ foundational racial lore, and more generally an integral part of the Night Elf fantasy (nowadays there’s even a whole branch of the modern Darnassian society that embodies that aspect of the Night Elf legacy, through the Shen’dralar). Suramar both massively expanded on that foundational lore and spoke to that fantasy, absolutely making it Nelf content by proxy, just like TWW Earthen stuff will be Dwarf content by proxy.

In short, what makes Suramar Nelf content and not Troll content is this : a Troll fan walking through Suramar does not feel at home (at all). A Nelf fan very much does. Hell, that’s literally the reason why Nelf fans were so outraged by the Nightborne becoming a Horde AR : they identified with Suramar, they (rightfully) considered it theirs from a cultural, thematical and lore standpoint, and so they felt entitled to getting the Nightborne.

2 Likes