The true end of automated multiboxing is upon us

Yeah. When that hardware method came out those synchronizers went out of stock the same day.

Inevitable. I didn’t buy any multiple copies of SL and only paid for the month. Then upped for a six month just to spend time on the forums here. Because the game isn’t worth six months. It’s that bad.

All in all games from 2020-2021 have been abysmal. I have high hopes for Subnautica Below Zero. I need a good game right now.

1 Like

And many players come here and take up for Blizzard (I’ve done it on occasion), and many others don’t even know the forums exist.

To try to put everyone here in the hivemind box is ill-advised. But I have a feeling that Blizzard itself is doing that, and it’s to their detriment. If they paid more attention to negative feedback when it arrives swiftly and in bulk (like it did with flying in WoD) then they would not wait so long to make the changes they inevitably have to make when they no longer have a choice.

In regards to multiboxing, sentiment against it has been vocal and consistent for years, and they finally got around to doing the right thing, and guess what? People are in this thread praising them for it. There goes the hivemind…

True, but wasn’t near as vocal like it has over the last 4, or 5 years. You would hardly notice a multiboxer years ago, because most were just dual boxing with one other character, maybe two. I don’t blame the software, or hardware as much as I do blizz for ever letting it get out of control(perhaps limiting the amount of characters you could use to box with). Bots are another issue. Bot hackers usually make their own scripts, or bot programs, and never relied on multibox software. Pretty much why bots will continue to be a thing even without multibox software, or hardware. Said it in other threads like this since Nov. Multiboxers were their own worst enemies. They got greedy. They got to the point where they started behaving like bots, or doing exactly what bots do. Running those mass teams of 10, or more characters farming hyper spawn areas where people just out doing quests, dailies, etc could not get anything done. Basically nobody to blame, but themselves for Blizz laying the smackdown on the software, and now hardware.

Is it the “right thing” when the action that they took isn’t going to do anything to change the thing that people were complaining about?

People are angry at rampant botting. Multiboxer software was (reportedly) being used to make botting more efficient, but it wasn’t by any means the only tool at their disposal, and the other botting software that they were using was already disallowed.

Making it so that the relative handful of legitimate multiboxers can’t use software to help them solo a five-man dungeon anymore isn’t going to stop the flocks of boomkin-bots from flooding areas, razing everything in it to the ground, and when flight goes back in taking to the skies to mine and herb every node to a scorched-earth level. Like before, they’ll get reported, banned, and just deploy more new accounts.

I’ll just reiterate that it affects me personally exactly zero percent, my shadowboxing between my two accounts is done by tabbing and being lame, mostly just accomplishes me doing daily emissary world quests in pairs and arguing with myself in RP, and it’s been that way for like eleven years. I’m just confused as to why people think this is a big win, since it’s not actually going to do anything to anyone who was actually exploiting. The software part of the ban has already been in for weeks now, has anyone noticed significantly less boomkin farms around?

8 Likes

Multiboxing with 2 accounts manually is fairly easy, you just can’t really do more than that effectively… is my guess.

Three isn’t hard either. I really have no desire to add any more. I feel it would get more difficult once you get to 5, both game-wise and cost.

My other two accounts make enough each month to buy their own tokens, by just playing the game - I don’t farm, pvp, or mess with the AH.

The only software needed is to fix the windows and set mouse focus. Zero broadcasting, just simple macros. Multiple monitors and a quick mouse reduce the need to alt-tab.

And still not breaking any rules.

3 Likes

i cant see how you can think this. 4 or 5 miners/herbers grabbing a node all at once is 4 or 5 times more ore or herbs on the market, making them all cheaper.

“I will always break the rules!”

at the same time cheaper resources means less profit from professions because supply goes up drastically, meaning you have to lower your prices to be attractive.

Multiboxing isn’t against the rules (at least not yet…).

For years I resisted getting into PvP because I hated it. A while back, I decided to try to mix in instanced and non-instanced PvP because maybe I was the one who was wrong about my previous bias against it.

Nope, turns out I was right all along. Especially world PvP deals like For The Alliance. When you run into the team of 25 balance druids and 5 rogues, all run by the same person (allowing them to more or less cycle Shroud, hang out in areas around throne rooms, then when the enemy team has fought its way in, pop out and auto-keystroke 25 DOTs on everyone), it gets old fast.

You can praise the guy for his ingenuity if you like, but stuff like that was never how the game was intended to run. I personally find things like that to be sad, because it points to an extreme waste of money and time on a video game, typically by someone who has an unhealthy level of connection with the game, to the point that it is an obsession. If it were just them being affected, though, it would be totally their business. But when it crosses the line of intended/not intended and starts affecting my gameplay, I begin to care.

I’ve never even been that upset by the botting, at least not now that they’ve changed how nodes spawned/despawned. And especially since crafting in general went into the toilet somewhere around the time of WoD and has stayed there. I run herb/alchemy on my main and that’s enough to make my personal flasks/pots for the week; I never have to go to the AH.

So no, what upsets me about it is not what upsets the other people in your example. I don’t see high-level boxers as cheats; I see them rather as bullies.

I will never follow your rules! Oh wait, you don’t make any rules you don’t have any authority in any area.

1 Like

Anyone else suspect that this is a prelude to them offering tokens in TBCC or maybe because they are offering paid boosts in TBCC?

Tokens are going to come to TBC. People are already doing TBC gold for Retail Gold for Tokens. If Blizzard figures it can make more money by removing the retail gold middleman they will.

That’s cause it got posted on Revenge of the 5th ;x

Unrelated: Lots of people conflating the bot problem with the multibox problem. They are separate conversations. Hopefully since they don’t have to watch stepping on may-as-well-be-a-bot toes, they can crack down harder on the bots.

If they aren’t using software or hardware to command mirror and are manually clicking between all the tabs by manually switching windows, they can still do that. Given it takes em longer so if you got a tank toon with a sky golem you can pick and go before they get done.

Some of us have real jobs that allow us to box as many toons as we like for less than an hour of labor. The change is quite bad and will only cost blizzard players and many, many subscriptions in the long run.

in game Ive never seen anyone even mention boxers in chat. Not once.

4 Likes

So you can still multibox but you can no longer use any kind of means to get more imputs out of a singular button activation? They have now stated that hardware mirror commands are now a no go. Kinda whatever.

Seems fine to me. Multiboxing is still not banned so I don’t see the problem. You can still effectively tab through clients and harvest herbs shrug

1 Like

While I have. I’ve had guildies complaining in guild chat as they tried to find herbs in Nazjatar. And the same thing in the zone chat.