The times they are a changin...regarding Duel Tournaments for cash prizes in WoW

Original Blizzard policy regarding Duel Tournaments with cash prizes…

Nevalistis
Community Manager
6534 posts
Dec 10, 2010
Such a situation would be considered the exchange of in-game services for out of game currency or goods, Averybighug. That would fall under a policy we have a pretty clear “no” on.

Now…

https://communitytournaments.blizzardesports.com/en-us/

lol

Given the fact that Classic is specifically being developed around the spirit of #NoChanges + #WartsAndAll should it also be the same with the ToS as it was during Vanilla WoW as well along with activities such as this being strictly verbotten?

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/9x3m2c/news_article_explains_blizzards_relationship_with/?st=JOITFTCP&sh=741e16c0

Not that I’m a fan of Alex by any stretch of the imagination, but does he have a point?

12 Likes

This. If that is not streamer priviledge, then i do not know what that is.

Edit(June 7th): Turns out i didn’t know what that was. xD

Rules has changed since then, so this tournament is allowed, according by the current rules settings. You can stop pressing “like” on this post now.

26 Likes

Well, we are just living in a different time here all where e-sports is a thing and these are the kinds of things that are happening in gaming these days. Times have changed. And while we are pretty much getting an authentic Classic experience, we can’t take a time machine back 15 years ago and change the way society is these days and how the gaming culture has changed.

2 Likes

#NoChanges

3 Likes

Yeah, I have always been no changes myself, but I understand I can’t go back in time.

I am one of the few people I know who outright refuses to use Facebook. I honestly despise it and I am not a fan of social media in general. I would love to go back to a time before any of it existed, but can I do that? No, it just can’t happen. Times and culture changes and we can only go along for the ride best we can, no matter how much we don’t like it.

1 Like

Forum post from 2010 as of 2018 the ToS has been updated

Use the Platform for any esports or group competition sponsored, promoted or facilitated by any commercial or non-profit entity without obtaining additional authorization from Blizzard or obtaining Blizzard’s prior written consent. For more information on obtaining appropriate authorization, please visit Blizzard’s website.

2 Likes

The original forum post you quoted was well before streaming, or esports being mainstream. You could argue that 1.6 and SC were big back then, but it wasn’t even close to tournaments we have now. In comparison, in-game tournaments for money now seem harmless compared to, back then, taking a potential market from Blizzard.

well its beta

yes, i’m fully aware of that - hence why I wrote this post so as to showcase what the original policy was during Vanilla WoW in case people may not have been aware

any such activity such as a duel tournament for cash prizes would have resulted in perma bans across the board for all participants

Prohibited Commercial Uses: (iv) communicating or facilitating (by text, live audio communications, or otherwise) any commercial advertisement, solicitation or offer through or within the Platform

Soliciting is still against the ToS.

4 Likes

I’m sure that Blizzard is well aware of the dueling tournament today. When someone asked Tipsout where the $2,000 came from, he hesitated and said he probably shouldn’t answer that.

2 Likes

Googled it to be sure but I’m pretty sure an in-game tournament is not soliciting.

3 Likes

Prohibited Commercial Uses: Exploit, in its entirety or individual components, the Platform for any purpose not expressly authorized by Blizzard, including, without limitation (i) playing the Game(s) at commercial establishments (subject to Section 1.B.v.3.); (ii) gathering in-game currency, items, or resources for sale outside of the Platform or the Game(s); (iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment; (iv) communicating or facilitating (by text, live audio communications, or otherwise) any commercial advertisement, solicitation or offer through or within the Platform; or (v) organizing, promoting, facilitating, or participating in any event involving wagering on the outcome, or any other aspect of, Blizzard’s Games, whether or not such conduct constitutes gambling under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction, without authorization.

What you are referring to is the in game gambling bots and Chinese gold farming advertisements.

1 Like

pservers have done it…even more Blizzlike then Blizz I would say.

1 Like

ITT: No-fun-allowed bots continue hating fun.

6 Likes

oooo…are we gonna get into “transparency” now ?

not for cash - or at least not on the ones ive played on such as lightshope

VI. Trading Virtual Goods/Services (Real Money Trading/RMT)

Light’s Hope does not condone the trade of virtual goods or services appearing or originating from the Game, or any other attributes associated with an account or any component thereof for real money, or exchange those items, currencies or services for value outside of the Game.

Light’s Hope staff reserves the right to close any account involved in such transaction.

No, I mean pservers have been able to keep that 15 year old feel.
responding to a poster regarding e-sports and how times have changed.

haha Theloras…pservers are more true to vanilla wow.
all they need to do is get their mob data right !!!

1 Like

ok my bad then

Another sTrEaMeR pRiViLeGe thread.

3 Likes