The tank shortage is getting out of hand

Ironically, most of the groups waiting will have people who are on classes that CAN TANK, but refuse to.

Solution? Stop inviting classes who CAN tank as a DPS. Then when they don’t get invited, maybe they will consider tanking

4 Likes

Who’s gearing tanks? Tanks are the last to gear up in a raid

2 Likes

I love tanking and have a prot warrior and paladin.

What I don’t love is people who refuse to interrupt.

It’s one button! How hard is it to press?!?!?!?

8 Likes

they don’t want to deal with jerks
it’s the same reason every time

8 Likes

There’s also the situation of, there’s only 2 tanks in a raid, so to do m+ as a tank you have to alt spec it, which a lot of people would rather just have an alt

2 Likes

Technically, all tanks are ranged tanks for a very small part of every encounter :upside_down_face:

But for a continuous ranged tank, well, I dont think a ranged tank works in this game, because the melee mobs will eventually stack on tank (due to aggro). And, after that, there would exist a split between melee mobs and ranged mobs, ultimately making a really inefficient set up for dps. Unless, the ‘ranged’ tank silences the ranged mobs which forces them into melee range, too.

As I see it, to make a ranged-tank work within the current iteration of mob movement, the ranged tank would need to have incredibly control/CC abilities to effectively lock down mobs at range to keep them bunched up for efficient murder-death-killing. But this level of mob control would be so overpowered as to make that kind of tank mandatory. Additionally, some bosses require their main aggro target to be in melee range.

this would effectively change the concept of a tank from being a ‘tank’ to more a ‘standoff weapon.’

3 Likes

As a tank main since Cataclysm, this is the first expack my main is now a healer. With Shadowlands and Dragonflight, instanced content had gotten quite a lot harder on my tank, and the mechanics have the same feeling with TWW.

Now as a resto shaman, I only have to deal with a fraction of the mechanics than a tank, a massive relief of stress. One millisecond of a mistake and you have a very high chance of failure.

2 Likes

I’m an ex tank main, and I don’t play tanks in this game anymore because I’ve never received more abusive or hateful whispers than when I made mistakes on my tanks. I’m not even a bad tank, but I’m a human being who makes mistakes like everyone else. I just chill and DPS now if I do PVE but I mostly just want to PVP. It’s not worth it to tank for a group of strangers who tie their entire ego to their PVE characters. I’ll tank for my friends if they ask, and we’ll have a good time but you’ll never see me tanking in PF again lmao

And an addendum to this reply. I can’t imagine being a new tank in this game. People give you absolutely ZERO grace to learn and find your tempo. This occurs in even random leveling dungeons, timewalking or normals and heroics. How are tanks expected to learn this game when every NEET DPS is pulling ahead or berating them for not going MDI speeds? This game has been slowly built up to be a diablo 3 rift simulator in dungeon environments and that just isn’t that fun to some people, and it certainly breeds the worst type of entitlement within the playerbase.

17 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t get super high before I quit last xpac but check this out. I think I might have misheard you with your pants over your mouth. https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-us/character/us/hyjal/bölverkr

3 Likes

Nah, this is fine.

You want to actually play the game at a good speed?

Play the roles people actually want.

Or, maybe Blizzard can actually make the other roles more fun or something, so people flock to them instead of always DPS. There’s a reason.

Delves exist for those that can’t get into M+ now.

2 Likes

Make a tank.

4 Likes

Well, typically a good guild will gear up tanks and healers first since if they die you all die but what do I know?

2 Likes

Considering how awful M+ pugs are I’d imagine most tanks have semi-static groups to run with.

1 Like

As a tank this is just completely wrong.
It’s 100% the nerfs.
Most people serious about the game don’t join random pugs anyways, they play with guilds or friends.

4 Likes

Well what do you expect?

Whenever someone tries to get into tanking you expect them to rush, rush, rush while you PULL EVERYTHING! And when they get frustrated you quickly blame them for ‘their’ failure meanwhile it’s the rest of you pushing the tank into positions they’re not ready for. Then they leave.

You really think they’re looking forward to tanking again? That they’ll give it another shot? No. They’ll simply choose the easy option of not tanking and leave it at that.

This is a problem you lot made. Now you get to fix it. Because there’s absolutely nothing Blizzard can do to fix it for you.

15 Likes

I only tank for my friends. If not, I have to carry DPS in PUGs. :\

4 Likes

? Good guilds gear dps first, been like that for ages, this isn’t 2004.

5 Likes

The mythic0 week was so toxic I’d rather do delves.

3 Likes

You should have experience in a good guild before you make comments about good guilds. Common sense.

When I find a random good tank in a pug I tend to add them for future runs. The moment you have a tank to join you - the groups just FILL.

1 Like