The Sylvanas that BFA wants you to forget

And the majority of her fans will agree with that. In fact, as more and more characters in the story kneel down in front of Anduin and beg him to shepherd them with his young adult wisdom of always being right, it’s likely what made her fans cling even more tenaciously to her.

I get you, I get that you want to be the good guy. I don’t want, and never did want to take that from you. You want Anduin and Thrall to shake your hand, and call you the biggest Hero of them all? It’s all yours. I’m not going to step in the way, unless Blizzard forced me to. Which they did.

They took a bastion of fans who prefer grim, dark fantasy, and threw them in the ring with the fans who want to be noble, bright, and full-on-friendship. Little did we expect that we both were going to emerge from that ring with black eyes and missing teeth.

The point of this thread isn’t to get back into that ring, and begin bickering and throwing some mean left hooks again, (Of which I am guilty as well, sorry) it’s to point out that we shouldn’t be fighting, and shouldn’t want to fight, and the only reason we are is because Blizzard deliberately changed the story to drive us in this direction. They had so many options, and they chose to make us hate each other, just like they do every time they write conflict involving the Alliance and the Horde.

I really hope Gazlowe makes you happy, and I really hope Blizzard doesn’t abuse him for cheap drama or shock value. We’ve wasted enough potential on that.

28 Likes

Can I write Sylvanas, Ben? I’ve been getting so good at writing her in my fanfiction. Here’s an excerpt, lemme know what you think.

Background music:

Sylvanas burst through the wall of her throne room with a determined step, gray skin glistening courtesy of the Durotar heat outside. Her sexy red gaze settled on the orc woman curled up at the foot of her throne, napping soundly. “Vozul!” She strutted closer and delivered a delicate kick to the back of the orc’s head, rousing her.

“Hi Sylvanas!” Vozul scrambled to her feet and offered her Warchief a hurried salute. “I was waiting for you to get back. I got sleepy though.”

Sylvanas laughed. “You’re such a good minion of mine, Vozul.” She fished through a pouch at her belt and slotted a little biscuit between her most loyal and muscular minion’s tusks, which Vozul scrunched down in record time without moving her head. Sylvana’ss voice dropped an octave. “I believe it’s time for your…transformation. Into an undead.”

Vozul coughed on some biscuit crumbs, then gasped. “Yes! Really?!”

Sylanas nodded, clawed fingers caressing Vozul’s hair, eye sockets, nose, tusks, and cheeks, but mostly her tusks because they were so huge and impressive. “Really really. And the ritual begins…NOW”

Vozul was forced to her knees. She gasped her last living breath, before Sylvanas’s engorged, purple energy beam began pummeling into her body. She could hardly withstand the onslaught, bracing herself against the floor of the throne room as she took gallon after merciless gallon of Sylvanas’s secret death god void juice. She could only howl, blissful, agonized, just waiting for the ritual to be over, yet hoping it never stopped. By the time the sun rose, she would be reborn: stronger, grayer, deader, perfect. Anything for her Warchief.

11 Likes

Halfway through this I started convulsing uncontrollably. 10/10

10 Likes

I think that’s a record for the fastest I’ve ever received a like on a reply, 10/10

4 Likes

I try to avoid using terms such as good and evil when discussing faction policies. One might also remember what happened to the Forsaken ambassadors when the undead survivors of Lordaeron tried to reconnect with the Alliance. So the animosity isn’t unearned.

2 Likes

Darn it Vozul, you stop that. You’re going to alienate the Chinese market with these pearls.

6 Likes

you sylvanas fan boys make me sick. i hope her death is actually bolvar turning her into a mindless banshee slave.

Yes the “it was a dream the whole time” motif means that any and all storylines mean absolutely nothing in terms of impact because on a whim, character motivations can be whisked away with “Well they were lying.”

Anduin could stab Jaina through the chest tomorrow, and Blizzard would rationalize his peace talks as “well he was lying. Remember there was um… a foreshadowing whisper of the 3 lies… he was saying them the whole time! You just didn’t know!!”

Stuff like that basically means it’s pointless to get invested in any kind of character arc or development, because on a whim, the intentions it was written with can be changed for sake of ‘subversion’ and lazy storytelling.

22 Likes

You’re helping nothing. In fact you’re just being a tool.

12 Likes

fan boy spotted

Wth dude

You must be new here. I hate Sylvanas. I’ve hated her since Cataclysm. I’ve been a very vocal critic of her for years, and now I think her actions in BFA are despicable. If she were dead and gone, I’d be pleased.

However, I am also capable of taking an objective view on the story. I know that many people DO like Sylvanas, and I respect that. She’s been through the ringer this expansion, and I completely understand people’s upset over what’s been going on with her. As such, I am capable of hearing people with different viewpoints on a character I dislike without reacting with hostility, because I know my opinion is not the be all end all.

If people expressing appreciation for a character you dislike is enough to make you sick, or you want her to die just to spite them, then you need to pull your head out of your butt, weasel.

24 Likes

That’s an oof in the chat, lad.

15 Likes

What? I’m an actual Sylvanas fangirl! Where’s my chant?

14 Likes

Time to float!

3 Likes

You’ll float too.

4 Likes

And here’s the Sylvanas her fans conveniently forget to suit their arguments:

In addition she has this to say after Vol’jins’ appointment as Warchief:

"Warchief Vol’jin." Does it sound absurd to you, ? I, for one, certainly won’t be taking orders from a troll.
But, he put this little coalition together, and won the day. He’s also proven to be impossible to kill - I admire that.
Time to test what he’s made of…

And a passage from the novel Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

Following several successful field tests, Master Apothecary Faranell demonstrated a strain of New Plague to Lady Sylvanas Windrunner. In the Apothecarium, a strain of blight was administered to a human woman and a Forsaken criminal. The girl bled from the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears before dying. The latter collapsed in spasms as his skin broke open and wept black ichor before dying. Sylvanas was elated to at last have a plague that killed both humans and Scourge.

All of which occurred BEFORE BfA. For every one “noble speech” she makes, she adds a dozen skeletons to her closet.

6 Likes

There are 2 sylvanas. The one where she wants you to think exists, and the true sylvanas behind the mask. Dictators and other leaders like them always creates an outward persona to their people and allies. The one where they are caring but in fact don’t. Let’s take the Kim family from North Korea. They try to paint a picture to their people that they love and care for the north koreans. But we know the truth.

Sylvanas is a lot like this. Shown in before the storm. She claims anduin idea for her own and acts as a caring leader to the desolate council. Parqual realizes that the queen he followed was not in fact like the one he thought he knew. In the book, Sylvanas acted like she cared about the Forsaken, but, she wanted them kept broken and angry. Dictators typically do this as a form of control. The Sylvanas who spoke in Silverpine during Cata was the persona she put on for the forsaken.

2 Likes

It might be coming as a shock to you, or even surprising, but ever heard of scorched earth tactic? Crazy, I know!

And this prove? When put in context, we have no idea what was (or still is) the nature of the deal. Bad 'cause Helya is bad? Musn’t we forget that Odyn wasn’t as such a good boy. He was ready to give the Aegis to God King Skovald if he proved himself worthy (That’s the point of the whole last fight in the dungeon of Stormheim). If you posted this video impliciting what follows with Eyir, I have to point out that she does so, in a twisted, dubious way, 'cause she cares about her people. Well. In a much “Forsakeny” way.

I refer you to this : The potency of the blight used is dubious, as even the Forsaken responsible for it express mild surprise at how effective it was. (Taken from wowpedia, 'cause I can’t post a link apparently)

And this proves? Beside her disdain for trolls apparently.

I guess we forgot that during that time period, there was an overzealous organization called Scarlet Crusade, bend on killing the Forsakens. But eh, no big deals.

23 Likes

Doesn’t prove much considering her thoughts on Vol’jin in the more recent BtS

Vol’jin had been someone she respected, although they had clashed on occasion. He lacked the abrasiveness that so often characterized orc leadership. And she had been genuinely sorry he had fallen—and not just because of the responsibility he had placed on her head.

25 Likes