The state of tanking. (Thanks to everyone who responded!)

Saying that mechanics are for mythics is mostly true. Blizzard has made non mythic dungeons exactly what you are describing- a speed run bore fest.
Gathering herbs in there should be ok though. I don’t know why that upset anyone.

2 Likes

Whenever you see threads asking why there’s a tank shortage, think of this and laugh at them while they whine about long DPS queues.

3 Likes

Just cause you ran it 100 times doesn’t mean someone else has. They don’t need to obey your standards. If this annoys you, do guild premades only

umm yeah no lol, no guild does that type of stuff except M+.

1.) They should get rid of ore and herb (and I suppose the skinning option on mobs) in dungeons. I always found this stupid except at the end. Like the last part of that Dire Maul dungeon? That’s fine.

Instead just let the bosses have a chance to drop a “bag of gathered goods” or w/e for gatherers in the group.

Problem = solved.

2.) Onto the attitude of Gotta-Go-Fast dungeons nowadays. I do agree that people need to take a chill pill. I have no problem having a new player in the group. Had quite the anxious tank while healing on my Shammy the other day. He was adorable. :3

3.) I wish Blizzard would integrate and encourage a better voice chat system for dungeons, though. Similar to how the one in Overwatch works. Because it would be far easier to explain mechanics to someone over voice than stopping to type out a paragraph.

2 Likes

go fast dungeons happened even as far back as vanilla wow near the end and every expansion. Its not a new phenomenon but I agree with you on the herbs and nodes thing.

1 Like

True. I remember spamming WotLK heroics as a Disc Priest and Prot Pally, and it was basically just Go Go Go.

But I do think the level of impatience for other players has grown in the community as a whole since then. I never remember kicking anyone because they were new or asked a question about mechanics.

It does seem like people just don’t try to help as much anymore. But maybe I’m just old, idk. lol

Does dungeon journal not exist? “Read what a boss does, see it in action” > “someone explaining it to me in more words than are necessary.”

1 Like

I never initiated a kick before but if i saw you gathering, you would have been my first

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s been the same way for a very long time. People always want to speed through the dungeon. Even before mythics! As for the collecting herbs in a dungeon thing…. I don’t think that is that big of an issue. If your moving along smoothly anyways.

Now if your going really slow and stopping for herbs, then it probably was a bit annoying.

In leveling especially. there are ways to do it this way better.

Before 60 if wanting really private phases…

take a chromie for anything NOT the one you want to farm.
now turn on WM.

and go to that zone you wanted. This is a very private phase now. only you may be in it.

This is a hunter trick. I 've gotten some of wow’s rarest pets this way. For almost no work. Loque’nahak I have 2 of. IT took me all of 10 minutes to get them. Wod chromie, wm on, took the boat to northrend. flew to basin.

That northrend was phased to WOD chromie WM on. You see way less people this way.

5 minutes to find them day 1, then day 2. And thus I got my matching set of Loques. Way Less people to kill/tame…they were all mine.

Mat farming this would be real private loop runs too really.

1 Like

People just want to get the content done. People don’t care about your herbs or if your new. They just want to have a fast and easy run because that’s exactly what looking for dungeons are supposed to be. They are mind numbingly dull which is why the goal is just to turn your brain off and finish the dungeon like an efficient machine.

Fair point, yes.

Boss guides on YouTube and such have also always existed. But I don’t really expect someone to read up on 8 dungeons and 25 bosses, and memorize every mechanic of that lot before queuing for RFD.

So in that sense, yeah, it’s easier just to be like:
“Hey, I’m new. Any mechanics I need to know about on this boss?”
“Oh yeah, just don’t stand in green and move away if you get an arrow over your head.”
“Ok cool, thanks bro.”

^ 20 secs vs. however long it takes to read an expansion’s dungeon journal and memorize it (hours?)

2 Likes

I’ve played many games when a tank asked about mechanics and even routes and so far no one got kicked for that. Now if he is gathering and asked about mechanics, I could see that being the final straw.

Thats why FFXIV gets new players and wow barely does. You can ask for mechanics and people will be kind, stop, and explain. Here veteran players forget they were newbies and act as if they are the best.

3 Likes

Kinda sad. They put those herbs/mining in the dungeon for a reason.

2 Likes

modern wow, run by the people who will kick a player for picking a herb causing the dungeon to take 5.826 seconds longer. While also being on forums yelling at anyone who wants world content to be meaningfull that they should stop asking for “instant rewards”.

These speedrunners want the game coded for them and hate the rest of the playerbase. Even they people they run with most likely, given that every other person is not them. I have no regrets for having ran only 1 solitary df dungeon (a m+ with a friends group) and have never entered one on a solo queue/lfg. Utterly no desire to be required to pander to “me” “no me” “no way dude just ME!” “get lost only i matter” etc.

1 Like

You should probably read some guides on WoWHead dude

You weren’t even kicked and yet you’re here complaining about them daring to vote?

Good god

1 Like

you have 3 dps in the group, 60% of the group that waited upwards of 20-40 mins to get into that dungeon to knock out a fast run and mix it up with their questing etc. they finally get in a dungeon and the tank xtra slow and herb gathering. anyway.