The Spy addon needs to be banned

This but unironically.

Same reason I use chat addons instead of the default frames: streamlined and optimized for my UI

Same thing for raid frames, action bars, etc.

This red herring of “oh so it can be done manually?!? A HA I HAVE YOU!! The addon is a CHEAT!!!” is the dumbest line of thinking people use. Addons by their very nature modify the UI with available information, which is why people use them so they can do something as simple as resize party frames or as significant as completely overhauling every element and minimizing clutter on the screen.

This attempt at a “gotcha” is just anti-addon sentiment, nothing more, and Blizzard explicitly allows addons. The end.

5 Likes

Why would a level 60 care about killing lowbies in phase 2? Do you know how the honor system works or nah?

2 Likes

Believe me, I am all for the Fortnite bashing train. But if you truly think a game like World of Warcraft requires more “skill” or physical ability to perform than any FPS to succeed, you’re objectively delusional.

2 Likes

I have not used or really looked into this addon but how does I have heard to only uses the combat log to tell who is in the area. If the person isn’t using any skills and is just moving around, how would it tell that they are there?

1 Like

So, just like Vanilla then? Working as intended, I guess!

I’m not sure what you want them to do, all the addon does is read the combat log. Do you want them to disable the combat log?

3 Likes

This only affects PvPers, who are by nature cowardly. Anything that makes it harder for their little cheesy hearts, is a good thing!

I think you have it mistaken and I would like to point it out. By nature rolling on a PvP server, or participating in PvP itself, is the opposite of cowardly. Cowardly isn’t the word I’d personally use for rolling on a PvE server or only wanting to participate in PvE either - it’s just knowing where your focus lies. No need to dump on people because they make choices.

That being said the spy addon is dumb.

1 Like

Spy addon will get banned before phase 3. Screenshot this post.

2 Likes

If they weren’t cowardly they wouldn’t care about a Spy addon except to get excited there was someone to fight nearby. The spy addon ruins ganks ( the most cowardly and despicable action in WoW) and that’s why PvPers hate it.

I use the addon for the auditory cue and the list I can use to target someone by clicking instead of having to type /t name. Also for the KOS list.

1 Like

Oh no!
Is PvP happening on PvP servers again?!
Blizz, we REALLY need to stop this. It’s ruining the game!

Oh wait, what’s this? You can just roll on a PvE server? That’s crazy talk!

2 Likes

When people come within range of you, it detects them. It even detects people in flight passing by.

My guess is your combat log sees a passive ability active on them as soon as they come in range. It tells you their approximate level based on what ability it sees them do. Spell ranks aren’t shown, but if a spell is earned at X level and Spy sees them use it, it pops up with X+ level class. Say a mage uses blink. Spy will say there is a level 20+ mage. Once you click on them, it will update their actual level.

Just like with other addons, its use is restricted while in combat and won’t learn about new people until you are out of combat.

It actually does learn about new people while in combat, it just refuses to list them. It only ticks up the enemy count. The reason for this is probably because they must’ve merged the concept of the list item with the SecureActionButtonTemplate frame. Secure action templates aren’t allowed to be shown, hidden, moved, or created while in combat. Their actions that they perform cannot be edited while in lock-down. The creator of the addon could’ve made the enemies listed and unclickable by having two separate frames, but I’m guessing that they didn’t take that route and are keeping things basic.

Edit: Also, addons can make enemies targetable in combat via these action buttons, as long as the button frame is programmed before combat arrives. Spy doesn’t seem to do this. I’d imagine that there is a good reason why.

1 Like

A level 60 killing level 48-59s are killing lowbies and still getting honor. You do not know how the honor system works. You must think the honor system means the enemy has the be the same level as the person killing the enemy.

the spy addon is not a problem i have a mate that uses it i and its pretty fail, being a hunter i see them before the addon reads it in chat. get good.

1 Like

Oh good, another one of these threads.

1 Like

Ganking squads on private servers have already evolved past spy as they use it to scan and engage using mounts due to their high approach speed.

or changed.

2 Likes