The reason WoW PvP sucks and how to fix it

In my personal opinion I think WoW PvP is in a pretty terrible state right now and because of this, I’ve mostly stopped playing WoW altogether. I use to play WoW on a daily basis, and 90% of the time spent in PvP. Now I hop on maybe once or twice a week.

Why do I personally think WoW PvP is pretty bad right now? Flavor of the month spec’s and builds and constant ever changing abilities.

On my main, I’d usually spend my time in arena or rated battlegrounds, grinding away at that oh so sweet rating, progressing through the season to hopefully end off at a higher rating than last season.

Now it feels like if I’m not playing the flavor of the month spec, or if I don’t wait until my spec is the flavor of the month, I am just punishing my rating.

I do have alts and I enjoy playing them, but I don’t normally care that much about rating on them. I’m sure most of us in WoW have that one class or spec that you always end up going back to, which you’ll likely always consider your main. (Let me know which is yours, I play assassination rogue, regardless if it’s good or bad).

The problem in my opinion is that blizzard isn’t letting a meta settle. How do people have a sense of their rating, skill level and progression if one day they buff you to god tier status, and the next patch they nerf you to D tier? Honestly, you can’t.

PvP changes are great, if done properly. However the way blizzard is changing things right now is way too bi-polar, whipping classes and specs all around the place, not giving players a chance to really understand where their classes land over all.

How do I think this can be fixed? I have two possible ideas, but you can let me know if you have any others.

1. Way less drastic changes patch to patch. Let a meta settle, and do minor changes to slowly bring top tier specs down and slowly bring bottom tier specs up. However, overall, keep most specs in a similar position from start of season to end. Use patches for new in game content, not to change the current content.

2. Make seasons shorter, two seasons between every major patch and adjust the rating inflation accordingly. Do the big meta changing patches at the start of each season. We don’t need higher ilvl’s to do this, or any fresh content, just a clean season. Maybe a re-color of the current PvP sets, but even that isn’t something I’d care too much about.

Bonus: 3) (This will never happen but I can wish) Balance all spec’s better. At this point I’m sure everyone knows that blizzard intentionally makes some classes and specs much better than others in order to push people towards trying others out. A ‘fake’ way if you will, to keep the game feeling fresh. It’ll never happen, but again, I can wish.

So yeah, those are my views on why currently I log in to WoW a lot less on a primarily PvP focused player and how to possibly fix it.

I have played WoW pretty consistently over the years, including BFA and Shadowlands, and I can honestly say I enjoy WoW PvP less now compared to the first and second season of shadowlands. The volatile nature of spec strengths and weaknesses patch to patch does not feel good to me at all.

9 Likes

Wow pvp is bad because after blizzard nerfed assa and disc the game was in a very good state and then they drop this patch right before the season is about to end and let ret paladins and warlocks ruin the entire game :rofl:

Months and months of consistent balancing thrown right out the window :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

Used to just have backstab wounds and kidneys so mashed in that I need donations, now I have smashed in facial bones from magical yellow hammers and burns across my body from mega green chaos bolts.

Feel like Thrall first time he tried to take on Garrosh before he dropped his shaman hammer for an arms warrior axe.

1 Like

I’d say it’s at least closer to balanced currently. I only play against rets in about half my games rather than 99% of them. They definitely need to save these massive reworks for new seasons though rather than right in the middle.

2 Likes

It’s not only paladins. If you look at tier lists from the beginning of season 1 of dragonflight to ones created now (by more experienced players), the only spec that doesn’t seem to have been whip lashed into multiple different directions is pres evoker.

Other than DH, wow is actually in a good spot, could use better communication and not make these crazy updates mid season

also, they need more players, we are bleeding players and BLIZZARD seems happy to let this game die out

probably for their survival MMO

1 Like

Yeah, mid-season reworks really do throw a bit of a wrench into things.

Nonsense they just need to put more reworks in to balance the other reworks and just keep going jormungandr around and around

They need to make seasons go back to being about 3-4 months long. It was like this in legion and those felt like the best length for a season.

Wow pvp is bad because healers exist.

Unironically if you removed healers and balanced around dps only and DPS self sufficiency class design would be instantly better and competitive content isnt gatekeep by a role no one except masochist want to even play to begin with.

4 Likes

Here are some examples I just found off of one persons youtube channel that does tier lists for PvP.

Arms warrior start of season: Low B tier

Now: S tier

BM hunter start of season: Low B tier

Now: S tier

DH start of season: S tier

Now: Lowest A tier, if not B

Shadow priest start of season: S tier

Now: bottom half of A tier (I’d disagree and say lower, since I rarely ever see anyone play them now.)

Because blizzard designs PvP almost like a rock paper scissors style game, with certain specs countering other specs and weak to some… Each time any spec goes from S tier down to B tier in a short period of time, it shakes up the entire meta because certain specs play best with a specific comp. It causes chain reactions, leading to huge changes of the meta in way too little time periods.

Lol as if you aren’t better than 3-4 of the other melee specs

1 Like

They could of just had 2 season one with 10.0 and one with 10.7 and this would of been perfect.

2 Likes

It’s because they don’t balance the game, they also make melee both easier to play and generally better to have on a team. They also tend to make healing so strong they either have to be in CC to land a kill, or you need basically need to one shot a target.

1 Like

RSS needs to be true solo queue.

Seasons are inline with PVE content patches.

Meta picks have always been a thing. In BFA Season 3, hpals were practically monsters with Ineff truth corruptions, and Destro locks spanked you with 5 instant Cbolts.

Currently this is the first season that I struggled to break 2k in. every bracket felt like a climb. Usually in each season of pvp I easily rise to 1900+ in the first week. But the game currently feels pretty balanced beyond healers feeling like dog water.

TBH DF Season 1 was the best state of WoW PvP ive seen since WoD. Up until the Ret changes.

I disagree. Maybe I am wrong in what I personally think is bad in WoW PvP right now, but something is definitely making people play WoW PvP a lot less and the effects of that are pretty bad.

I remember in shadowlands before you were able to play with the opposite faction in season 1 and season 2, there was a huge list of Rated Battleground groups you could join. Season 2 is when I hit 2100 in Rated Battlegrounds my first time ever, and I had a blast for the most part.

Now you look at the lists even after putting both factions together and it’s awful. Way less people, and way less options for classes and spec’s that leaders are willing to take.

Not to mention rogues are going to get majorly messed up in Rated Battlegrounds after the changes happen to make almost all CC 5 seconds or less.

Unless they change how fast it takes to cap over a base (currently 6 seconds) rogues only option (if hitting bases solo) will be to kill the defender first, which any good team will just back it up anyway.

1 Like

wow pvp has been going down hill since SL launched and DF is just as bad. people die way to fast with little to no counter play allowed. class balance is horrible and has been since launch with some specs being destroyed while others are still busted.

its going to get worse until the meta slows drastically and all the emphasis on killing someone in a go in less than 5 seconds is changed. counterplay and a chance to counter even needs to return, not this zug zug fest of press 1 2 3 and kill someone. No newer players want to get involved in a game mode that is so punishing and unfun, not to mention frustrating when you lose before you can process what happened. people will continue to quit while no one new wants to get involved in the crap fest that is the meta from SL till now.

2 Likes

The PvP sucks because they keep listening too much to dps players and not enough to healers. If there were Shadowlands Classic realms with solo shuffle, I’d play that

2 Likes

its a bit of both. healers are why we are in this situation.

Your not wrong… 100%

WoW PVP is garbage atm… its unbalanced (all just flavor/spec of the month), its unrewarding for anything but maybe your main, its unrewarding, its just not fun in pretty much every aspect.

Imagine if PVE was just as punishing?.. If PVE was as punishing as PVP rating, it would be like every time you wipe on a raid boss, you have to face the previous boss again… so you would have to win 2x just to get back to where you were.

Ex: “New to all raids in game: Whenever you lose to a raid boss, we generate a raid boss that you have to defeat in order to get back to the raid bass you originally wiped on, this will continue until you are 50 bosses deep, but we promise we care about you” -Blizz

Hardly anyone is playing WoW PVP, its basically dead atm… :frowning:

Blizzard just tunes it out IMHO, I dont think they care about PVP at all. They hear ppl complain, but they just do not care.

If only there was a way for Blizzard to listen to the PVP community to make PVP improvements… ohh wait there is… (the wow council or whatever it was called), but they ignore those ppl to… The only PVPers they “sometimes” listen to are the pros in the arena’s so like the top 0.001% of players…

1 Like