The problem with Microsoft buying WoW

THere has already been talk of that.

But you are looking at 12-18 months before the deal is finalized.

By finalized that that means it still has to get approval by the FTC .

The biggest problem could be more XBox people. Though I’m not sure how realms and CRZ would work between PC and XBox, or if it’s even possible. I think a lot of people liked WoW because it wasn’t XBox or Playstation. Rest assured, the toxicity is initially from those players. So it’s either going to get a lot worse or the two will be separate.

1 Like

No only doomers are going to think like that. WoW is still a big time cash cow regardless of how disgruntled its players are. No way is it going anywhere.

I am a disgruntled wow player and im tapdancing for joy with some hope the game will improve down the line now.

Some day i may even be gruntled once more

4 Likes

what company spends 70 billion dollars to discontinue the IP’s they purchased. It makes absolutely no sense.

2 Likes

So they didnt buy wow but they bought Activision-Blizzard which made wow ? So they would actually own wow since they own the company lol ?

3 Likes

Microsoft is in hunt for ownership of Call of duty and other Xbox games. They want to make them Xbox exclusive hoping that Sony will work together with them on cross platform games.

3 Likes

Yes but they were implying u can gut wow and still focus on other act/bliz stuff

They can do what ever they want really , since they own the company

1 Like

No, Microsoft will not ‘kill’ WoW.

WoW makes over well over $15 million a month. It makes too much money for any company to scrap it.

3 Likes

Microsoft has stated that they plan to end WoW so people can say “wow” without thinking about WoW. It is in the shareholders best interest, says a completely anonymous trustworthy source.

Yeah, they’d sure want to throw away Blizzards biggest game

1 Like

Microsoft would never ditch WoW. They own some of the biggest datacenters on the planet. It will cost them nothing to keep this alive. They revived Age of Empires 1 with a full budget remaster just because they could, that thing isn’t making any money. They want happy customers first. Even if WoW shrank to background noise 10k player game, that’s still plenty of customers to keep the lights on at an MMO studio. The costs of running a game can be scaled down to barely anything. Hobbyists can do it no problem, a company that owns the top server hardware in existence in bulk can do it.

1 Like

“We just purchased Activision Blizzard, let’s close down World of Warcraft.”

“Erm, Blizzard earned a net revenue or $493 million in the last quarter of 2021
are you sure you want to do that?”

“Ok, let’s reconsider that
”

And yes, Blizzard isnt only WoW but WoW IS Blizzard’s largest franchise.

2 Likes

true but the value to microsoft is in console titles. the best we could hope for is they let wow die like a campfire at dawn.

No Blizzard Entertainment makes WoW . Activision Blizzard isn’t a game making company they are a company that owns companies that make games like Blizzard entertainment or Activision Publishing . They are just the holding company .

This is true. Only thing that i fear could be lost would be blizzcon. It just might not be worth it to phil spencer and microsoft xbox. But i am hoping i am wrong.

2 Likes

He will be a figurehead to give the appearance of a transition.

It won’t happen for at least a year to 18 months and that all depends on FTC approval .

They could easily put a stop to it if they feel it will be bad for competition .

THey would also be foolish to end the cash cow that WoW is .

Yeah but we’re talking about WoW in its current state.

2 Likes