The Plague Event is Fine, but only if it's Opt-In

Keep the zombies AI-controlled, and we’ve got a deal. No PC zombies, otherwise that’s PvP, and I disabled War Mode to opt out of exactly that.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely no point to literally force everyone through this because even the lore doesn’t acknowledge non-participation. I didn’t touch Outland at all, yet somehow I’m credited with the fall of Illidan, stopping Kil’jaden and Kael’thas.

The game history assumes the PC has participated in every event, even events they skip, because the game script cannot function in any other way. Weirdly, this doesn’t take away from the ‘integrity’ of any event. Ever.

All you want to do is to literally force everyone into being victims for your need for griefing. That’s it. You have no more noble an aspiration with this event than someone campaigning for PvP servers to come back.

2 Likes

Gameplay > lore.

Gameplay > lore.

All I want is this event to affect the entire game world. You’re part of that game world (as long as you’re logged in). This isn’t about you or me or one person, we play a shared world game. That shared world should be affected as a whole.

War Mode is gameplay.

Therefore, Gameplay > Lore.

I mean…warmode fits lore and gameplay. Not sure what you’re trying to compare here.

Really?

‘The Alliance and Horde are at ALL OUT WAR! No soldier spared! No blood unshed! For the Dark Lady! For Teldrassil!’

‘Hey my War Mode’s off you can’t attack me.’ ‘Oh, okay, see you.’

Uh, real consistent lore there.

4 Likes

The obvious solution is to get our finest alchemist in all of Azeroth together to develop a vaccine, practice social distancing of at least 6’, require masks to be worn in both outdoor and instanced content with more than 3 people and make testing more readily available.

Only then can we forge forward together.

2 Likes

If the suggestion here is to sell a vaccine that inoculates you to Infection and makes you untargetable by PC zombies, then solid.

lol yes, the least blizzard can do is implement that. IIRC, in SWTOR during their Rakghoul Event (super fun btw) an NPC sold a vaccine curing the player and preventing further infection.

But with blizz who knows what they will do.

1 Like

I have no opposition to that. I’d prefer if War Mode opt-in covered this (because then it’s an opt-in rather than an opt-out), but if it prevents unwanted PvP encounters (again, PvE AI zombies are totally fine because they can be easily scaled to their target) then good stuff.

Selfish is exactly what it is. That’s fine tho. A lack of some sort of opt out option will most likely kill the event. Don’t expect this to go over any better than it did the last time they tried it.

5 Likes

That’s actually what I argue, too. If you can opt-in and opt-out of the PvP side of it, you might actually have higher participation because there’s no pressure to participate. So people will check it out of their own volition, come to decide, ‘hey this is kinda cool’, and stick with it. Others try it and decide, ‘eh, not for me’, and go back to their routine. If they’re forced into it, they go ‘screw this, who’s Blizzard to tell me I have to be endlessly ganked?’ and log off until the event’s over.

1 Like

Except the helpless folk trapped trying to experience the rest of the event because 450+ ilvl M+ players are bored and want easy ganks.

1 Like

Exactly. If folk want to be gigantic jerks to each other, that’s fine and dandy. I just want to opt-out so I can’t be forcibly included in that nonsense and still play the game.

2 Likes

Except this is something that affects the whole world both in and out of WM.

Only because War Mode hasn’t been properly calibrated for it. It needs to be updated to protect against this, and then all is well.

1 Like

There is no “protection” for something that affects the entire world. You just have to find creative ways to avoid it. If you can.

1 Like

Yet there’s ‘protection’ for a world-engulfing war. There’s ‘protection’ for Forsaken from Night Elves and vice versa.

The Tree Burning was a one-time event, but NE couldn’t attack Forsaken with WM off then.

2 Likes

If they stick the entire event in WM then there won’t be any breaks in immersion cause the people walking down the main streets of a capital city unaffected won’t be seeing the event and the people partaking in the event won’t be seeing those not partaking cause they won’t be in WM.

The only reason not to do this is the gankers and griefers need victims. (Other than each other.)

4 Likes

Exactly. People on different shards may as well not exist to other shards. Yet somehow if even 1 person in-game is spared the effects of this world event, MY GOD MAN. THINK OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

2 Likes