The Opposite of Paladin Is... Rogue

From a certain point of view…

Back in My ignore list you go, stalker who followed me from MMO-Champion. :joy:

Huh? What stalker from MMO-Champion?

I like it better when the stealth class is billed as a scout/saboteur/assassin, one of the king’s glowies.
Rogue always being tied to to criminals is just lame. I hate every single person I have to interact with. I mean, I hate the glowies just as much, but at least fantasy glowies aren’t 100% evil.

1 Like

The correct take.

For gameplay purpose, Spymaster Shaw and a Defias terrorist are lumped in the same classification of “Rogue”, but there are clear differences.

One is a State-sponsored spymaster, charged with enforcing the peace and preventing future threats from the shadows. The other is a thug, a terrorist.

They are not the same, despite both being “Rogue” for gameplay purposes.

How I see the two classes

Paladin - The ones you use to amass an army, send them in and mow the enemy that’s killing you down.

Rogue - The one you use when you want to surgically remove a problem that’s preventing you from existing and thriving.

1 Like

That’s what I call a pirate. They usually do their activities for a price.

A true rogue is someone who works directly and quietly, secretly, for the crown, doing the king or queens bidding.

Spies are included in rogues. Not just thieves, murderers, and bandits.

Even the in-game description for them mentions they often serve as scouts. Criminal is not the only archetype for a rogue.

2 Likes

They may be enemies but I wouldn’t call them opposites.

Wait, what??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I agree with this. I used to main a DK and knew their story passably well ingame but still couldn’t figure out why the Ebon Blade would bother getting involved with the rest of the species in this game after Arthas was gone.

I still don’t quite understand it.

:sweat_smile: They are. I love my rogues and love the freedom I get from playing one but I have to admit that paladins are very satisfying to play.

1 Like

uᴉpɐlɐd /10

Sigh, how can I explain this…

Yes, they are similar in design such as two-handed weapons, armor, horse, special abilities, etc. BUT…

At their core of their identity, who they are and what they believe, they are considered opposites. In their very first battle during the Second War, when the Death Knights were overcoming Alliance soldiers, it was Uther and the Paladins who responded to the call of battle.

Their warlocks were left to the mages of Dalaran.

Later on, the ultimate Death Knight, Arthas, fought his “opposite”, the ultimate Paladin known as Uther the Lightbringer. And would have lost that battle if Uther didn’t hesitate to deliver the killing blow.

Yeah. Even Turalyon recognizes his usefulness.

Fixed it for ya. :grin:

For there to be a reason to have and use Death Knights in the story moving forward.

1 Like

Cool, don’t care. One is not like the other.

Defias are terrorists. Shaw is not. Any disagreement?

The Defias was officially pardoned by King Anduin and given compensation for what happened to them.

Vanessa Vancleef is now an upstanding citizen who actually helps Shaw on occasion, and works in the shadows to help the people of Westfall.

1 Like

What is confusing about that? Does the NPCs have different speech and dialog variants for the rogue when it comes time to heap praise and glory on us? No. A rogue player is as well known to prominent NPCs and on a first name basis whose every feat and deed is highly visible and showcased as everyone else.

There is only headcanon when it comes to player backstories and lore. We’re all cookie cutters from each other. I can pretend to be a nameless adventurer whose acts and deeds fly under the radar…but I’m not. I’m on a first name basis with literally every prominent NPC. I’m the canonical leader and sole wielder of the artifact weapons my order hall. I’ve literally stood against gods and beings capable of erasing and reprogramming the very fundamental laws of reality itself and came out on top.

Rogues are no different. The player does not get an option to be a bandit. From the very second your character loads into the world, you get told your backstory and that’s that. You may use stealth and ambush and poisons, but you don’t get an option to live out your bandit fantasy robbing the nobles of Stormwind. You’re as heroic as the most chivalrous knight (same as said knight is just as murderous as you and any other player).

2 Likes

My Rogue: “I’m a nameless person who works in the shadows, never taking the glory but always there to help”.

Also my Rogue: “Hey Thrall, how’s the wife and kids? We still on for cards this Friday?”

1 Like

Its funny you say this because from my experience the people behind the screen of a Pally player acts like how deathknight NPC should and vice versa.