The Number of Playable Races?

I’m curious to see what people think.

(Edited to redact the original latter part of my question, as I realised it was superfluous/inane.)
Do you believe there are too many playable races?

I personally don’t mind the existence of Highmountain Tauren, Zandalari Trolls, Dark Iron Dwarves, Lightforged Draenei (so on so forth), though I do find that having them listed separately on the character creation screen is a bit unnecessary.
It would be nice if they could integrate them with the original race options, to reduce clutter on the main race selection screen.

Edit: For clarity’s sake, I’m not necessarily for one side or the other, I just wanted to generate discussion

Personally I think you are a troll, and a bad one at that.

This may be the most non-issue I’ve ever read here, and that’s saying something. If you are serious and not just trolling let me just say…LMFAO

4 Likes

I personally believe that there are too many races. Adding races really doesn’t add to gameplay. They are just cosmetic for the most part.

However, I don’t think they should remove any of the existing races. There are players that like each one of them and they are all played. Races that the players like should not be removed from the game for any reason.

2 Likes

more race = better

idk why you would not like new races

4 Likes

You seem… upset? No, I’m not trolling, it’s just a genuine question from someone who remembers what the race selection screen looked like before BfA, damn.

I honestly do not believe there is such a thing as “too many playable races.” Especially in the context of WoW.

I am of the opinion that within reason, the more options there are, the better. Not to mention that new playable races are a feature of expansions that generate a lot of hype and is my favorite thing to see announced.

With new playable races, you have the opportunity to enhance world-building within the game. They can add a lot with lore, culture, storylines, and even some flavor with light RP within text. It also helps to add in some niches that WoW has been lacking, such as a playable Lizardman race, to interest players.

The idea that we have enough playable races I feel is a silly argument, as adding in new races has a bigger chance of attracting newer players and making existing ones more invested in the game than turning people away. For example, I have no interest in FF14 at all because I don’t like the playable race selection, so adding something like Bangaa as a playable race would get me actually interested in trying it.

I could go on and on, but I’d likely be typing a thesis paper at this rate. The more playable races there are, the better, IMO. Player characters are the most important part of a MMORPG, and we should see new playable races and even new customization options gradually as time goes on. The more options we have, the happier I see the majority and the better chances of attracting people to your game to make a character they’d be interested in based on specific races being playable.

The more the merrier is how I see it, and I don’t see there ever being too many races. :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

2 Likes

mix races
maybe

Completely reasonable.
I’m a bit opposite in that way, I enjoy the FF14 character selection because of the moderation in regards to available races, however, that isn’t saying I necessarily disagree with having many.
While I think WoW could perhaps organise/present it better, there isn’t a race I genuinely hate or want to see removed, but I wanted to inquire, for the sake of opinions like these - that is a good point about the lore-building and draw for more players; appreciated.

I don’t see how that would lead you to the conclusion that there are “too many”.

I don’t think any races shown in WoW should be off the table as playable.

2 Likes

No, I think there’s still not enough even if WoWs selection of races is one of the best in MMORPGs honestly. Give us more, Naga, Gnolls, Ogres, Furbolg, Dragonkin, lots more to go. I do think some of the allied races could’ve just been customization options for existing races though, like LFD and Maghar.

2 Likes

You say you’re serious but c’mon. We need more races not less. When I started again in Shadowlands I was very happy to see so many new races after quitting since wod.

1 Like

More is better.

I think HMT and Tauren should just be sub categories. Id totally play a Taunka or whatevee those Northrend ones are. The bulls…

Same with Trolls dwarves dreanei…sub races or clans imo but I see lore wise why they are separate.

Voidelves…I might get this wrong so…

I am not a big fan of reskinned races despite liking tbe additional options in terms of hair and skin tones etc.

Id rather a new race vs voidelf/nightelf or whatever.

3 Likes

As stated, it is just my personal opinion. You’re opinion seems to differ and that is okay. Really it is. I won’t attack your opinion. I would hope that you didn’t feel the need to question mine.

I feel there are too many races and they don’t add anything significant to the game just by existing. There is no world building around them. Races were added to the Horde based on player popularity. Races were added to the Alliance based on some factor only known to Blizzard.

Because I am an altoholic who is compelled to make every available race, I do feel there are too many. But that is my personal problem, and it’s no one else’s fault I have an addiction.

Under no circumstances should any race be removed.
Also, just because (as stated above) I have an addiction, there’s no reason others should be deprived of playing whatever race they most desire.

I personally feel new races should actually be new, however, not reskins of existing models (like most allied races).

1 Like

Opinions should always be questioned. But that’s just my opinion… :man_shrugging:t4: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This. It’s more customization in the game for players to enjoy.

Besides, even if it is a race you don’t personally like, it’s not like you’re forced to play it or anything.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can agree there.

I’m all for more races with new models/animations, that’s definitely welcome.

First rule of actual MMORPG’s.

NEVER remove content.

Threads asking for Classic content restored in Retail, I’m looking at you. And nodding.

3 Likes

I’m of the more the merrier, the more races there are, the more chance people will have a race that matches what they feel would be best for any specific character.

As another poster above said, even if races get added that I would never play, they may be liked/loved by someone else, so all is good.

3 Likes

And, I will add, PLEASE, Blizzard, for the love of WoW…

• Stop stupifying races
  • Stop destroying races
  • Stop ignoring player generated ideas, Horde DESERVE San’layn!
  • And, last, for now, STOP making the race different from their lore!

I’m mainly looking at two races: Night Elves and Forsaken. One is an entirely female warrior race with an average experience of over 10,000+ years, while the other is a race that had O)NE individual with at least 90%+ of their lore tied up in her. And then she LEFT.