The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes

I think they’re waiting to implement a fix for when they need to fill a no-content patch with something. Then they can tout all these great guild improvements when they’re really just giving back something we already had.

2 Likes

Time to poke the dead horse again. We’re definitely going to hit 5k comments before prepatch. I wish I could believe the permissions would be fixed then. Since they got broken by the prepatch for-- my God, was it LEGION?– fixing them for a prepatch would balance nicely.

Of course, we all know Blizzard can’t balance anything properly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Permissions. Fix. Please.

Just because we’ve gotten by all these years without being able to assign permissions as we wish, doesn’t mean it’s okay to leave them all lumped together. Granular permissions accommodate all types of guilds. Having most of the permissions stuck under “is officer” is not optimal, and time will never make it better.

3 Likes

It soothes mine, if only by a little.

4 Likes

I’ve seen an occasional thread asking for more guild things. Here’s a recent one:

My point being that even folks who aren’t invested in this thread’s particular issue still care about guilds. For the record, Brahmina posted in that thread and put a link to this one.

5 Likes

4 years to the date that Ion asked for feedback on this unintended change.

Well, there are 4930 posts of feedback without any progress, and as such, I am going to repost my previous post once again in the vain hope that Ion may want to actually make good on his commitment.

Come on Ion, surprise us and actually return granular guild controls.

5 Likes

Nah they are too busy making promotions to bring back people who dont play rather than focus on the issues of those who do play.

Ion and co have your money and they have been getting your money for 4 years, they know they dont need to do anything because you keep paying.

Its basically your fault that nothing changes because you keep paying them silly.

1 Like

Maybe they can include guild fixes, in one of the 834729874 hot fixes for the new AH…

4 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I love that you listed your original permissions. That perfectly illustrates why the current all-in-one permissions are sub-optimal. Not every guild is the same. Granular controls allow GM’s to customize their guilds as needed.

Yes, guilds have gotten by with the current permissions for more than four years now. How many players have quit in that time? How many guilds have died? No, the lack of granular permissions is not the reason for the sub losses. But, they haven’t helped stem the flow, either.

Guilds are the backbone of WoW. People keep playing through poor content because of the friends they’ve made. Guilds aren’t just for pushing end-game; they’re the social bond that keeps WoW going.

Fix the permissions. Fix guilds.

6 Likes

Sometimes I wish I had trust level three so I could post videos or gifs to liven this thread up. Oh, well. I’ll just have to settle for keeping the thread alive.

Fix the permissions, please. Thank you.

2 Likes

Dear Blizz, could you fix guild permissions in Dragonflight?

2 Likes

They probably originally made the changes to “combat toxicity in guilds,” but the “Is Officer” checkbox gives such ridiculous control that cannot be modified.

Like why would anyone be willing to let a relatively unknown person into an officer rank if ALL officers can modify the Public Notes, Guild Info and the Message of the Day, and even delete other people’s chat messages and guild events?

Someone could potentially try and butter their way into a lower officer rank and go full ham on trolling like changing Guild Info and MotD into something inappropriate and just randomly silence other members of the guild.

I imagine too that issues with guild rank permissions make it harder to retain members.

At the very least, there’s no way that every officer should have permission to change MotD and Guild Info because promoting the wrong person to an officer rank can damage the guild’s entire image the way it is right now.

6 Likes

When we get info on cross-faction guilds before we get info on the broken permissions.

Blizz, y’all do realize that adding cross-faction is just going to make things worse, right? If this doesn’t get fixed (or any of the other community chat issues), I truly can’t fathom how adjusting w/e code is required to allow cross-faction guilds will make these issues -better-.

Am I for the concept? Yeah, sure, why not. But fix the bigger problems before you try to cram more features into a system you’ve already busted and then neglected to fix, please!!

5 Likes

No, actually, Ion said (four years ago) the change was unintentional, and they were working on a fix. It happened when they implemented the communities feature.

Everything else in your post is spot on though. :+1:

3 Likes

Sixty posts to go. Yup, we’re gonna hit 5k before DF prepatch.

That doesn’t actually bother me. It’s the idea that this won’t be fixed in DF either that makes my teeth grind. I wish Ion would just fess up and say they’re happy with how it is and they’re not going to change anything. Then at least we’d know exactly where we stand.

4 Likes

To be honest, I think there’s a lot of room for improvement. But you also have to consider the dev team members trying to fit all the stuff that’s needing to be addressed such as this into their work calendars. This is in addition to everything else they have to allocate time on.

I don’t think it’s that they don’t want to handle it. I just think there’s more behind the scenes variables that some folks may not be accounting for. That being said, when something hasn’t been designed to a point of satisfaction by the dev team and sits unresolved it should probably raise in priority.

But I think that comes down to the dev team also taking time to review how they go about conducting development as a dev team. There could also not be a work environment that would host such a dialog and instead it’s just a senior ranking dev or devs directing the show without an on ramp for input to be reviewed and heard internally when it comes to that sort of thing. Again, there’s many possible variables internally at Blizzard which makes for things being as they appear.

At the end of the day the intent of most dev teams is to produce a satisfactory product to the end-user. When I watched the virtual Blizzcon and how these people felt about the game they are creating I felt like they genuinely do care for our game. It’s just they gotta figure out how to meet more of the player’s expectations in a shorter timeframe. Which I can imagine is quite challenging.

1 Like

Bumping cause bump needed cause agree

3 Likes

To be honest, I think there’s a lot of room for improvement. But you also have to consider the dev team members trying to fit all the stuff that’s needing to be addressed such as this into their work calendars.

I think in 4 years, they’d have found ample opportunity to implement a fix we were told was “on the way”, meaning… in flight already.

5 Likes

Yup. I gave them that slack when the problem first cropped up. I figured they had a lot to do with a new expansion and all. But, you know, after four years, I’m just not feeling so understanding anymore. Especially since Ion told us the change wasn’t intentional and they were working on a fix.

Heck, for all we know, the dev who was tasked with the job got laid off back when our dear Ythisens was let go, and no one else was given the assignment. At least that would explain why we still haven’t gotten the promised fix.

4 Likes