The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

I am just going to keep at this, keep getting it exposure.

Looking at you, Blizzard.
Keeping it up!

Trying to get guild permissions for different ranks back. Officer or nothing has been hurting our guilds. Many posts already in this thread all for support in bringing the permissions back.
I'm a GL of a very large guild. I hate the new visual format and the lack of choice with officer permissions. Some of my officers are getting really upset that they can't do anything. This isn't an all or nothing thing Blizzard. What's the point of ranks if officers are the same as everyone else? O chat doesn't work. They can't see member names. UGH. Get your stuff together please before BFA. This was never asked for in the first place and now you've essentially broken guilds.
Okay, where to begin here.

I have read all 43 pages of this post. Yes, all 43 of them (at least that's how many pages there were when I started writing this).

Like the many of the people that have posted in here I'm a Guild Leader. I've also been an Officer in one guild or another over the years.

I'm going to do my best to summarize this long thread as best as I can so anyone just coming to the thread can read maybe one page and not... well 43 (so far). I will also be adding my two cents here as well, if it even matters.

For starters, I must say I'm extremely disappointed in only seeing one blue post on this, and it was to inform those actively on this, that the thread has been extended. This is disheartening to say the least.

If there is nothing that can be done about this change then at least have the back bone to tell us. Or at least that you made a mistake.

To say that you can't change it back because it got lumped in with the Communities, is a load of you know what. There is nothing stopping you from keeping the Guild Leaders privileges as they were and placing it in the Communities GUI to stream line it. That would have been a QoL, not this mess we have now. However, as with all corporations it's up to the suites, and in that regard we are screwed... thanks.

For years Guild Leaders have been able to modify and give privileges to whatever rank in the guild.

Case in point:

Officer Chat and Officer Notes:
You could give anyone this privilege. RP guilds use if for RP or for Non-RP conversation. My guild uses it during raid to discuss strategies, problematic teammates, or just vent when things aren't going well. In short conversations that should remain in the Officer Core.

Why is this an issue?
This does not allow a separation in chat for RP guilds. This is important as these players for the most part need to stay in character. However, there are times where they may need to drop character for a question, concern or whatever else may have you.

In Non-RP guilds, you may have a tiered Officer/Leadership Core. I'm one of these guilds. I have essentially two Officer ranks; Officer and Class Leads.

My Officers have roles/jobs in the guild. It's not just a rank to make people feel special. My Officers oversee Raids, PvP (in guild arena tournaments) events, Manage the Guild Vault, and so on.

My Class Leads are more the "Public facing" officers; they help with recruitment, and assist members of the guild with rotations and so forth.

My Officers have access to the Officer Chat and my Class Leads do not. However, my class leads have access to the Officer Notes, this is to allow them to keep track of whether or not someone needs to be promoted or if someone needs help.

Now I'm not able to do that without giving them full privileges when they don't need it.

Public Note:
In the new UI, only "Officers" have access to this. This one I do not understand at all. A player in an RP guild may put something about their character. In my case players would mark their Alts with their Main characters name, ilvl, spec, or professions.

Now because of this only I or my Officers can do this. I have a roster of 255 characters and growing. This makes this a nightmare for me because anyone in my guild can invite players. The only exception to this is Recruits "New Members" and Casuals (in sort lurkers). So if I or an Officer isn't on, a player would just be able to update this note and inform us if they were a Main or Alt, and we could promote accordingly.

This makes managing my roster take twice as long as it did before.

Access to Guild Chat:
This is kind of a silly one, in the sense of "Why would your guild members not have access to your guild's chat?"

Well in some cases, although rarer these days, is if someone gets hacked. Still happens, just not as often. Guild members would demote this person to a rank that would put this person on mute more or less without having to kick them from the guild. Some guilds also use ranks like this as a "time out" or just for giggles.

I don't mind loosing this option but I can see why it was used.

These are the biggest ones for me honestly, and seem to be the biggest gripe among other Guild Leaders.

Other Options Removed:
    Adding and Removing Guild Events
    Edit Guild Info
    Edit Guild Message of the Day

The latter of the two I don't mind overseeing or having my Officers look over this. However, I can see where other Guild Leaders would want those strictly as a Guild Leader responsibility.

Other issues that have come up is that the new UI does not exactly show "Last Online" very well. There has also been rumor that this may be removed. Please, do NOT remove this.

Everyone here who is a Guild Leader or Officer, or has been in the past, knows that keeping an active roster is a healthy roster.

I just want to say that you can still access this for now by typing /groster or /guildroster. This will bring up the older roster format and you can sort players as you would have in the past. Thanks be to whomever for at least that much.

Final Thoughts:

Any "Serious" Guild Leader will tell you that running and maintaining a guild takes real work. It's not something that you just slap together and boom you have a guild. Some people do that, but most do not. I spend hours out of my week doing just this. Specially right now when recruitment is at it's best with returning players, guilds that have "retired" to put politely, and many other factors.

We spend real time thinking about what we want out of our guilds, and what we want our members to be able to get out of it. We, promote people and give them roles to assist us. We give opportunities to our members to grow and opportunities to excel with in these small communities.

We as Guild Leaders know that an active roster is a healthy one. I've stated this much already. What this means is that we are constantly making sure that there is stuff for our members to do, participate in and keep them active. This means we keep them subbed, or at least spending money. This means the pocket books of Blizzard. (I know we are not supposed to call the company out but in this case it can't be helped.)

Why do we do this? Why do we essentially work for a company that we don't get paid by? There are many reasons, one is because we love the game, (mostly). Another, is because we have built a community of people that many of us would consider friends.

Why would you make our "jobs" more difficult? Please explain this to me.

I can understand the idea of Communities. For years I've said that the community in WoW is nothing like it used to be, and guilds have done their best to fill this niche as much as possible. The Communities has a lot of promise depending on how the gaming community utilizes it. At the same time you are essentially making cross server guilds.

I am completely okay with this idea, and I'm surprised that this hasn't started earlier.

However, if this is the actual case, your guild leaders still need the freedom to create the communities they wish as they see fit.

What happened to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

This change was made with no preamble, no way for the Guild Leaders to adjust appropriately. All this means is there is an addon developer out there that is going to figure out how to give us this control back. To that person, I say thank you, cause I already know nothing is going to be done with this by Blizzard themselves.

I can only hope to be proven wrong.
08/01/2018 12:30 AMPosted by Irannia

I have read all 43 pages of this post. Yes, all 43 of them (at least that's how many pages there were when I started writing this).

Like the many of the people that have posted in here I'm a Guild Leader. I've also been an Officer in one guild or another over the years.

I'm going to do my best to summarize this long thread as best as I can so anyone just coming to the thread can read maybe one page and not... well 43 (so far). I will also be adding my two cents here as well, if it even matters.

For starters, I must say I'm extremely disappointed in only seeing one blue post on this, and it was to inform those actively on this, that the thread has been extended. This is disheartening to say the least.

If there is nothing that can be done about this change then at least have the back bone to tell us. Or at least that you made a mistake.

To say that you can't change it back because it got lumped in with the Communities, is a load of you know what. There is nothing stopping you from keeping the Guild Leaders privileges as they were and placing it in the Communities GUI to stream line it. That would have been a QoL, not this mess we have now. However, as with all corporations it's up to the suites, and in that regard we are screwed... thanks.

For years Guild Leaders have been able to modify and give privileges to whatever rank in the guild.

Case in point:

You could give anyone this privilege. RP guilds use if for RP or for Non-RP conversation. My guild uses it during raid to discuss strategies, problematic teammates, or just vent when things aren't going well. In short conversations that should remain in the Officer Core.

Why is this an issue?
This does not allow a separation in chat for RP guilds. This is important as these players for the most part need to stay in character. However, there are times where they may need to drop character for a question, concern or whatever else may have you.

In Non-RP guilds, you may have a tiered Officer/Leadership Core. I'm one of these guilds. I have essentially two Officer ranks; Officer and Class Leads.

My Officers have roles/jobs in the guild. It's not just a rank to make people feel special. My Officers oversee Raids, PvP (in guild arena tournaments) events, Manage the Guild Vault, and so on.

My Class Leads are more the "Public facing" officers; they help with recruitment, and assist members of the guild with rotations and so forth.

My Officers have access to the Officer Chat and my Class Leads do not. However, my class leads have access to the Officer Notes, this is to allow them to keep track of whether or not someone needs to be promoted or if someone needs help.

Now I'm not able to do that without giving them full privileges when they don't need it.

Public Note:
In the new UI, only "Officers" have access to this. This one I do not understand at all. A player in an RP guild may put something about their character. In my case players would mark their Alts with their Main characters name, ilvl, spec, or professions.

Now because of this only I or my Officers can do this. I have a roster of 255 characters and growing. This makes this a nightmare for me because anyone in my guild can invite players. The only exception to this is Recruits "New Members" and Casuals (in sort lurkers). So if I or an Officer isn't on, a player would just be able to update this note and inform us if they were a Main or Alt, and we could promote accordingly.

Access to Guild Chat:
This is kind of a silly one, in the sense of "Why would your guild members not have access to your guild's chat?"

Well in some cases, although rarer these days, is if someone gets hacked. Still happens, just not as often. Guild members would demote this person to a rank that would put this person on mute more or less without having to kick them from the guild. Some guilds also use ranks like this as a "time out" or just for giggles.

These are the biggest ones for me honestly, and seem to be the biggest gripe among other Guild Leaders.

Other Options Removed:
    Edit Guild Info

The latter of the two I don't mind overseeing or having my Officers look over this. However, I can see where other Guild Leaders would want those strictly as a Guild Leader responsibility.

Other issues that have come up is that the new UI does not exactly show "Last Online" very well. There has also been rumor that this may be removed. Please, do NOT remove this.

Everyone here who is a Guild Leader or Officer, or has been in the past, knows that keeping an active roster is a healthy roster.

I just want to say that you can still access this for now by typing /groster or /guildroster. This will bring up the older roster format and you can sort players as you would have in the past. Thanks be to whomever for at least that much.

Final Thoughts:

Any "Serious" Guild Leader will tell you that running and maintaining a guild takes real work. It's not something that you just slap together and boom you have a guild. Some people do that, but most do not. I spend hours out of my week doing just this. Specially right now when recruitment is at it's best with returning players, guilds that have "retired" to put politely, and many other factors.

We spend real time thinking about what we want out of our guilds, and what we want our members to be able to get out of it. We, promote people and give them roles to assist us. We give opportunities to our members to grow and opportunities to excel with in these small communities.

We as Guild Leaders know that an active roster is a healthy one. I've stated this much already. What this means is that we are constantly making sure that there is stuff for our members to do, participate in and keep them active. This means we keep them subbed, or at least spending money. This means the pocket books of Blizzard. (I know we are not supposed to call the company out but in this case it can't be helped.)

Why do we do this? Why do we essentially work for a company that we don't get paid by? There are many reasons, one is because we love the game, (mostly). Another, is because we have built a community of people that many of us would consider friends.

I can understand the idea of Communities. For years I've said that the community in WoW is nothing like it used to be, and guilds have done their best to fill this niche as much as possible. The Communities has a lot of promise depending on how the gaming community utilizes it. At the same time you are essentially making cross server guilds.

I am completely okay with this idea, and I'm surprised that this hasn't started earlier.

However, if this is the actual case, your guild leaders still need the freedom to create the communities they wish as they see fit.

This change was made with no preamble, no way for the Guild Leaders to adjust appropriately. All this means is there is an addon developer out there that is going to figure out how to give us this control back. To that person, I say thank you, cause I already know nothing is going to be done with this by Blizzard themselves.

Very nicely stated and I agree!

Please revert the permission changes Blizzard I understand you are trying to upgrade/change things but what you had implemented before wasn't broken it could have been tweaked giving us more options but turning it into a one-size-fits-all solution is completely broken.
[/quote]Please revert the permission changes Blizzard I understand you are trying to upgrade/change things but what you had implemented before wasn't broken it could have been tweaked giving us more options but turning it into a one-size-fits-all solution is completely broken.[/quote]
Thank you for this.

I'm here again, politely but firmly requesting the guild permissions changes be reverted.

If 43 pages full of multiple valid reasons about why this change is harmful and has a negative impact on our quality of life (including my own), while actually improving nothing, is not enough for Blizzard to at least acknowledge....

I'm so disappointed with how this has been handled by Blizzard.

Case in point:

Why is this an issue?

Public Note:

Access to Guild Chat:

Other Options Removed:
    Edit Guild Info

Final Thoughts:

Case in point:

Why is this an issue?

Public Note:

Access to Guild Chat:

Other Options Removed:
    Edit Guild Info

Final Thoughts:

This post reeks of awesomeness.
Going to probably play around with that GRM addon and see if it helps. Between that and the "hidden" access to /groster are bandaids at best though and don't solve all the issues. Like I've noted before, this is only going to get 10x worse over the next two weeks and into BFA.

We need a response and an actual, real fix/correction sooner than later. Even if it doesn't have the "Blizzard polish" on it. A very small percentage of players will actually have to see or use the interface, but the effects will trickle down to the whole roster.
07/31/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Venjin
Please restore the guild rank controls to their previous (Pre-Patch) state.

Thank you.
Still no response.....do not let up peeps!
Please revert the changes, the loss of granularity impedes effective guild management.
It heartens me to see many others in guild leadership looking for effective workarounds using mods and doing their best to use the current system though it is limited in its current state.

I am not only looking to hear some news on the plans for improving the functionality of the guild system from Blizzard but even more so the thoughts and input of other guild's leadership like Irannia's post.
07/31/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Carthorinn
07/31/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Keiralynn

I think it has come down to everyone has given their ideas and have no others to contribute at this point. So it is all now about keeping this post up where people who can do something about it can see it. I know I threw out ideas, you have, Green has, and many others have. We could stop the needless and empty bumping but then it would be buried and lost thread. Most of the people coming to the thread this late in the game may not have a whole lot to add cause a lot has been covered previously. So I am unsure of what to do here outside of bumping to keep it relevant.

I hear you and I understand that point but if there are 10 pages of just bumps than people aren't going to read the thread LOL
Well, here's the thing.

There was a good long thread about the Bronze Tinted sunglasses and transmog in general. The discussion was consolidated into a single thread--just like this one. But because it wasn't anywhere nearly as important as this one, people stopped posting in it daily.

I made a post a number of weeks after my last one, just to mention that transmog restrictions were still an issue and to restate the idea I had had that could be a compromise. There were some posts made after my bump--but then the thread got locked for being a "necro". And Blizzard can assume no one cares about that issue any more.

Now, this guild UI problem is way bigger than transmog, but I'm still afraid the thread will get locked if we don't have a daily post (preferably several) in it. Of course it would be better if the posts had something new to offer, and it would be even better if folks restrained from insulting Blizzard or its employees.

Am I being paranoid? Probably. This issue isn't likely to drop off the radar any time soon. But I still don't want it to get swept under a virtual rug.

So I post, even if my post only boils down to, "Please fix this, Blizz!"
Looks like everyone is crying about the horde being bad and pushing this important subject down into forget me zone.

Just wanted to make sure its not forgotten:

Blizzard please revert the permission changes they are damaging the ability for GM's to actually control their guild the way they should be controlled.
This horrible system is still live......

I am beyond frustrated.
Not sure if it is related to a recent server xfer of both our guild and members, but the guild controls are nearly useless.

Multiple members show offline when they are online.

Multiple members are in the guild list but with our old server name attached. It looks like they are part of a connected realm but are not as the servers are not connected or related.

When someone is falsely showing as offline (as I am at the moment) the player in question also sees themselves offline. Additionally when it thinks I'm offline I cannot access guild controls. For example as an officer I am unable to promote or demote members or even access the pop-out menu that shows ranks.

When someone shows as being on another server despite being on the current server, the false server name is displayed in guild chat.

Its like the guild interface has no idea that you've moved servers.
Still not letting this go. It's complete bs, Blizz. How many in game suggestions, topics and tickets need to be handled before you communicate that you're working on this?
08/01/2018 02:01 PMPosted by Kohmet
It heartens me to see many others in guild leadership looking for effective workarounds using mods and doing their best to use the current system though it is limited in its current state.

I am not only looking to hear some news on the plans for improving the functionality of the guild system from Blizzard but even more so the thoughts and input of other guild's leadership like Irannia's post.

Thank you, I think it's more effective to explain why this hurts my guild specifically. Not only that but there are many others out there with similar and strikingly different leadership styles.

I'd rather hear why this affects you and your guild more than, "Bump this post, and fix it."

It is a long post, and sadly I had one of my class leads ask me to give him permission to be able to edit his Public Note. I had to sit and think about whether or not I removed the ability to do it. I set my guild up and I was happy with it the way it was. I haven't touched those settings in the better part of a year.

Just the other day I had a member tell me they couldn't invite someone. This made me log into the Guild Lead character and look at the settings. This is when saw what was actually done. I was so wrapped up in recruiting, my fellow guild members didn't pester me about this because they knew I was knee deep in recruiting and busy building a new raid roster.

That's the thing, even my guild members understand that what I do for the guild is not something that just takes a few minuets here and there. Here is the kicker 95% of what I do for the guild, is for the guild. That last 5% is because heck, I like to actually play the game too ya know.

This has put me into a position to where I have to think about a work around to circumvent what was done to the system. Or I have to restructure my guild, and end up with something I did not want or want for my members.

I could have spent my time displaying my ire and vitriol on this change, but what good does it serve?

I've seen posts like this with not just 900 posts but 1000s and nothing be done with it. Hence why I sadly believe we are stuck with this over simplistic and counter-intuitive system. I can not tell you how much that upsets me.

Again, the fact that there has been no response in this matter other than the thread has been extended is just simply frustrating. I won't say that Blizzard doesn't listen to it's community, because they do. I just don't think they listen to all of it.

Case in point: the community cried out to have easier access to the EoG content in the game. They listened and gave us Battle Groups, LFG, LFR, Flex Raiding, and so on. They implemented some fantastic addons into the game. At the same time it left out their more serious player base, but we have Mythic and high end M+. However, even that they are messing with. Why?

You can not make everyone happy all of the time. You can only make some people happy some of the time, in hopes, you have the larger sum.

In this case there are more Guild Leaders unhappy about this change rather that happy with it. These controls affect a very small but powerful portion of your community.

Again, I can only hope to be proven wrong and Blizz reverts this back to how it was. In the mean time I'll be looking at addons.. and going back to pulling teeth to make sure my guild understands why they need another addon... particularly when it's not content related.
Having problems where I show up as my previous name in guild, but not anywhere else. This occurred after transferring from my secondary account to my main account. Name changed occurred, and I don't show up in the guild with my new name, I do not show as online, and when I talk its the old name. However, everything functions under the new name such as invites/whispers/ect -- its a bit annoying! Hoping for a fix on Thursday.