The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

GRM now supports processing public note requests (!note requests in guild chat) that were made when officers were offline.

Workarounds: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766746640

Still hoping they revert these changes...
Another GM bumping for changes to be reverted.
Please revert the changes!
I'm here to politely but firmly request again that the permissions changes be reverted. Many, many, many valid reasons have been given for why this is damaging to our guilds and communities (including my own). Add to this the fact that the old system did not legitimately hurt anyone, and there is NO reason to keep this harmful change.
We needed more control over our guild permissions, not less.

Please revert them.
I would like to thank the posters in this thread for being overwhelmingly constructive in their criticism as well as polite. Some excellent posts on information security practice and theory, and work arounds.

I thought the post with the scenario about HR and the discussions held around hiring an employee to be particularly powerful with regard to the current guild/officer chat logs.

Once again, thank you all for contributing. I have, repeatedly, brought this thread to the attention of the other MVPs (and our Blue Masters). We must just wait and see if anything is to be done. I suspect, given how rough the Communities roll out was, a "simple" reversion to what we once had is not possible but instead another recoding would be needed. One hopes any fix won't once again break the Internet ;)

Cheers,

Xakopane
1 Like
07/30/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Xakopane
I would like to thank the posters in this thread for being overwhelmingly constructive in their criticism as well as polite. Some excellent posts on information security practice and theory, and work arounds.

I thought the post with the scenario about HR and the discussions held around hiring an employee to be particularly powerful with regard to the current guild/officer chat logs.

Once again, thank you all for contributing. I have, repeatedly, brought this thread to the attention of the other MVPs (and our Blue Masters). We must just wait and see if anything is to be done. I suspect, given how rough the Communities roll out was, a "simple" reversion to what we once had is not possible but instead another recoding would be needed. One hopes any fix won't once again break the Internet ;)

Cheers,

Xakopane

Thank you Xakopane for hearing us and taking on this fight to others. It isn't that we want to see it go completely back to what it was so to speak in the least. We understand what Blizzard is wanting to do and how they are wanting to move forward and update/incorporate new abilities. I firmly believe there is a middle ground that can be achieved where Blizz gets to implement the things they want/need while we as GM's also gain the support we need to do our jobs.

This all is coming from a place of love for our guilds. Guilds we have poured our money, time, heart, tears, etc into. To see it in the state it is in currently is heartbreaking for all of us. I am not so much frustrated anymore but just broken. The years spent trying to grow the guild and be a good home for all people seem right now to be wasted.

I do appreciate all the Blue's and MVP's for taking the time to keep this relevant so our heartbreak is heard and felt by those who can help fix it.
07/30/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Xakopane
I have, repeatedly, brought this thread to the attention of the other MVPs (and our Blue Masters).

Thanks, Xakopane for bringing more visibility to this difficult issue.

Hopefully this gets reverted really soon. I'd like to point out to any Blues reading this that time is running out. We're still in a bit of downtime right now, but for a lot of guilds, a week before launch and on into BFA is when guild activity, recruiting, and calendar events will really get into full swing. If guild permissions are in the same shape a week from now (or at worst on launch day), things will get really ugly.

Please give us some feedback on what's going on. The clock is ticking.
Just in case I wasn't clear before, I am perfectly happy with the new guild pane and chat log. It is ONLY the permissions changes that I feel need to be reverted!
07/30/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Trixiekoopa
Just in case I wasn't clear before, I am perfectly happy with the new guild pane and chat log. It is ONLY the permissions changes that I feel need to be reverted!
I would also like to see an option to collapse the roster size down like you can do with the chat portion, with the ability to sort on activity.
This is an excellent conversation, indicative of some of the stellar leadership that is out there.

Blizzard, please help these leaders help you with the tools that make their lives easier. Good guild leaders are rare, and over the course of several expansions, you've made their lives much more difficult. Healthy, active guilds keep their (your) players engaged during content droughts, or create such strong social bonds that those players want to return to that guild to be with friends.

Guilds and their leaders need some love, Blizzard.
07/29/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Mcgrammar
Hey all, again thank you all so much for keeping this thread going.

Just wanted to share a workaround that I am currently using for my guild. In no way am I saying it works great or is a fix but I'm making the best out of what we got.

I have created and intermediary rank between full officer and my core Raiders called veteran. Currently that has officer ticked BUT without the promote/demote/kick. So it allows people I trust to do the notes and such without having the ability to seriously harm my guild. Again I'm not saying it's perfect atall and I hate having to do it but I hope this can help at least one person alleviate some GM/officer stress.

If anyone else has some workarounds they have figured out I would love to hear them thanks fam!

That is a great idea. I will have to give this a go!
Page 40... still silence. Why?
Chiming in again. I'm very saddened by the complete lack of acknowledgement, sans thread extension notice. My hope is that the reason they haven't said anything is because they're genuinely trying to figure out a timely compromise for the current state of guild admin and when that compromise can be implemented. I've already added my full thoughts on the matter, which can be found here

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765907165?page=12#post-231

and am keeping my fingers crossed a reasonable solution is in place soon. I recognize that it may not be in before BFA, even though that's preferable, but definitely keeping my eye on the first patch. It's imperative that something is done to help guild masters run their guilds properly and with ease. Tying guilds directly into communities and creating an all or nothing situation with regard to guild functions and access has created far more problems than necessary and added zero solutions.
Back to the front page. Another daily bump. Day 8 or 9? Of this ritual.
Would be nice to hear anything at this point. Bump
Did they ever fix it so you can promote/demote and edit notes in their shiny new UI yet?
07/30/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Mezilrin
Page 40... still silence. Why?

Because this is how they do things when they don’t have an answer yet. See: legacy loot system for transmog running. That went on for weeks I believe until we got an answer that satisfied most people.

They don’t answer until they have their solution. It is not a collaborative effort. It’s us telling them what we don’t like and them fixing it. We wouldn’t be helping them fix it.
07/17/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Xiata
I guess they figure an officer should be someone you trust with these sorts of things.

Bingo !!!!
I don't have an administrative role in any guild at the moment but I will add my voice to the list here. I've been a GM/Officer in the past and think that this new Guild overhaul system has been very poorly implemented. I understand the niche that communities can fill (although discord does it better I think there is a benefit to an in game system for those that don't use discord). But the old guild system absolutely needs to be re-implemented.

People can't edit ranks, we have people in our guild chat that are bugged out and show as being on other realms, and a slew of other bugs and problems.

Think you can sum it up with old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." There was really nothing wrong with Guilds and they can co-exist with communities as they really serve different functions. Communities are a global channel to find others to group with, but guilds are the core group of people that you play with and communicate on a daily basis. Please don't add this to the long list of things you refuse to change even though 90%+ of the player base is against it.