The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

07/28/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Kaylialra
It appears as though the only way this now 36 page thread will see attention by the devs, or even an acknowledgement that it exists other than a thread expansion,is to get this question on the dev chat stream. In a clear succinct manner that doesnt appear as ranty as many of us feel. State the 36+ page thread, state the multiple threads on the bug forums, and state that we want the original granular guild controls back. It really seems to be the only way to get a modicum of attention paid to this horrible change.

Even to say "we hear you and we're working on it, but our implementation of the communities/guilds function is very deep into the game core code and it will take a lot of work to revert the change"

No you are wrong if you have a twitter account you can post this thread to different people directly. If enough people see it something will change. Especially if their twitter is filled with this complaining rather than advertising their BFA release.

@WatcherDev
@BlizzardCS
@MikeMorhaime
@Muffinus
@devolore
@WarcraftDevs
@holinka
@DaveKosak
@Blizzard_Ent

These are direct lines to Devs and people in control there are probably more but I do not know them all. Basically you write a small msg asking them to look at this thread and fix the permissions issue.

They asked us to use twitter to do this a while ago to keep them informed so its our responsibility to do so.

I respect the fact they are busy, I understand a new expansion release is soon, I understand they have many different users to satisfy and their own vision of the game but in this case unless they fix this they will destroy a part of the guild play style and demoralize a huge part of their player base something they have done before.

I am very loyal to blizzard and I have kept on playing through all the errors this one as well but I know some that won't that will rant and rave and skip this expansion. So before it gets to that they really need to look at this and see how much it effects everything that has been built throughout the years of the game.

Please revert the Permission changes and if possible separate the Community UI from Guild Controls and use the original Guild Controls which give more information and performs the tasks needed in a guild more efficiently, until a much smoother interface is created.

The guild roster allowed you to see guild members current rep in the guild, how many guild members are online vs guild members in the guild, even if a guild member put themselves as offline the guild roster still showed their actual presence. It does so in a smaller footprint and allows us to get the information quicker. While a spreadsheet style UI may look nice it doesn't always function that way in the middle of a raid or other stressful situation. Consider the actual players and what they do before making these changes since it seems that wasn't done.
Blizzards ultimate plan.

UNIX permissions as guild permissions model.
Sticky bits included!
Community rank permissions are currently non-existent. Hope this comes up as well.
ML - gone
Most of guild control - Gone

I can't even make a time-out rank anymore if someone's having a bad day and said something silly to another guild member. Yes I'm aware people could just grow up, but we all know that's not how humanity works. What's next, you're gonna take our officers too? Are we going to be raiding in one big happy community(tm) ?
07/28/2018 05:20 AMPosted by Helixe
What's next, you're gonna take our officers too? Are we going to be raiding in one big happy community(tm) ?

At that point, after 14 years, I would walk away.
The biggest thing that keeps me engaged and happily handing Blizz my money, is running my guild. I dislike Communities so far (maybe I'll give it another chance once they ever fix all the bugs). My guild is everything to me, do not take that away.
I have found communities to be useful for the scheduling for a specific goal. For example, several smaller guild teaming up to raid together are using one to coordinate raiders across all three guilds. Another example, a large community roleplaying event organization is using one to help coordinate planners who belong to many different guilds.

As general hangouts? No one is paying any more attention to them than they ever did custom chat channels.

Blizzard, please give me back the ability to award my officers.
07/28/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Ðirt
07/28/2018 05:20 AMPosted by Helixe
What's next, you're gonna take our officers too? Are we going to be raiding in one big happy community(tm) ?

At that point, after 14 years, I would walk away.
The biggest thing that keeps me engaged and happily handing Blizz my money, is running my guild. I dislike Communities so far (maybe I'll give it another chance once they ever fix all the bugs). My guild is everything to me, do not take that away.

On an emotional level, I completely agree. I've been in the same guild for 10+ years. This is my home, and these people are my family. Even when I actively hated the content of the game, I stayed for my guild.

On a more pragmatic level, I'm trying really hard to find a way to make it work. What will I do if Blizzard says, "this is the way it is now?" Scream into a pillow first, I suppose. After that, I'm not sure. At least some of the issues (like GM being unable to edit officer notes) are clearly bugs and will be addressed eventually. But I'm really worried about the "Officer" permissions box since it appears this is not exactly a bug.

Unless Blizzard intervenes, I don't foresee this going well. If the permissions are what they are, then I cannot run my guild because I do not have the tools to do it. Some things can be relocated to Discord (like event planning - I want any member to be able to organize a guild event). But other things (like marking alts or setting up a recruitment officer) are tricky or impossible.
I haven't posted here in a while, just posting to keep it recent in my post history.

What is dead may never die!
Throwing my daily bump for support
Sooner or later we'll get some form of response. Just one response. That's all it takes. The sharding on RP realms took less responses than this. It's very frustrating to keep opening this to see walls and walls of people saying the same thing.
Just adding my name to the pile of Guild Masters that find the changes to the guild controls an unnecessary step back. Still waiting on a blue post to at least explain why they think it was a good idea, or if/when they will fix it.
So the other day I sat reworking guild ranks and attempting to fix the mess and try to make the best of it all. I had to reach out to an officer, ask them to log in, and dictate who to demote, who to put notes on, etc because I was not physically able to. I spent 30 mins trying everything I could to be able to make public notes/officer notes and demotions stick. I relogged, completely exited the game, closed down the bnet app, made sure there were no updates, disabled add-ons, etc and was 100% unable to do ANYTHING I needed to do to fix things. I am assuming this is a huge bug. This is kind of scary because I lack the ability to even do what Officers can do as a GM. So really if no Officers are on to try to help me the guild effectively is able to run amok while I sit there helpless to do anything about it.

I have had to put recruiting on hold because of all this.

Beyond frustrating.

I do wonder if since the scaling system is broken so badly at 60-80 if their time and attention is going to that as priority number 1 and this will follow after they figure that all out. It would seem to me the sharding problem for RP realms isn't as involved as this problem is and that is why they were able to handle it. I know things take time to pour through billions of line of code. I have seen one "if then" hidden away be a problem that can make or break a code.

I prefer they take their time to actually fix this right. While incredibly frustrating I would be more upset by them not taking their time, rushing things out, and being stuck with something.

It would be nice to have some form of validation that we are being heard and they have this on their to do list. Anything but silence would be appreciated.
My bump for the day, this is getting out of hand =(
Guild Master of Regulatørs on Hyjal Alliance.
Please Revert the Guild Permission changes.
Thank You.
We have a great thread going here describing the problems and potential solutions.

In the meantime, if you could post any workarounds you are using here, we might be able to help some people out:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20766746640
GM with a few issues:
1) Can I please get an option turn off guild chat history for my guild? We have a discord for persistent chat already and it just feels weird to use guild chat to now memorialize every "grats" or random convo between the only 2 people online at 3am.
2) I agree the grouping of officer permissions is awful - we need more granular assignment of permissions for things like member notes.
3) It just seems terribly bloated and buggy in general - the previous guild panel was small and easy to navigate, and put guild news on top as the first thing you see. The new UI isn't nearly as sensible in its layout and requires more clicking around. Half the time the news UI is empty now for reasons I can't explain. People online don't initially show in the roster. It feels buggy to me.

I am not really a reactionary and tend to roll with changes but this is one of the most awful things I have seen blizzard do in WoW interfaces in a very long time. It doesn't do much to make running a guild easier at all.
Bump for the day!
07/28/2018 02:53 AMPosted by Greenstone
07/28/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Kaylialra
It appears as though the only way this now 36 page thread will see attention by the devs, or even an acknowledgement that it exists other than a thread expansion,is to get this question on the dev chat stream. In a clear succinct manner that doesnt appear as ranty as many of us feel. State the 36+ page thread, state the multiple threads on the bug forums, and state that we want the original granular guild controls back. It really seems to be the only way to get a modicum of attention paid to this horrible change.

Even to say "we hear you and we're working on it, but our implementation of the communities/guilds function is very deep into the game core code and it will take a lot of work to revert the change"

No you are wrong if you have a twitter account you can post this thread to different people directly. If enough people see it something will change. Especially if their twitter is filled with this complaining rather than advertising their BFA release.

@WatcherDev
@BlizzardCS
@MikeMorhaime
@Muffinus
@devolore
@WarcraftDevs
@holinka
@DaveKosak
@Blizzard_Ent

These are direct lines to Devs and people in control there are probably more but I do not know them all. Basically you write a small msg asking them to look at this thread and fix the permissions issue.

They asked us to use twitter to do this a while ago to keep them informed so its our responsibility to do so.

I respect the fact they are busy, I understand a new expansion release is soon, I understand they have many different users to satisfy and their own vision of the game but in this case unless they fix this they will destroy a part of the guild play style and demoralize a huge part of their player base something they have done before.

I am very loyal to blizzard and I have kept on playing through all the errors this one as well but I know some that won't that will rant and rave and skip this expansion. So before it gets to that they really need to look at this and see how much it effects everything that has been built throughout the years of the game.

Please revert the Permission changes and if possible separate the Community UI from Guild Controls and use the original Guild Controls which give more information and performs the tasks needed in a guild more efficiently, until a much smoother interface is created.

The guild roster allowed you to see guild members current rep in the guild, how many guild members are online vs guild members in the guild, even if a guild member put themselves as offline the guild roster still showed their actual presence. It does so in a smaller footprint and allows us to get the information quicker. While a spreadsheet style UI may look nice it doesn't always function that way in the middle of a raid or other stressful situation. Consider the actual players and what they do before making these changes since it seems that wasn't done.

Bumping for visibility. Still no blue response? sigh.
Yes please fix this. Having just two levels of permissions for guilds is rather incomplete and very difficult to manage.
The old system just seems like micro managing to me. More suitable for power hungry GMs. Guilds should be more intimate and based more around trust. Communities are the way of the future for the pug community.