The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

I refuse to give up. Ion said the change was unintentional and they were working on a fix. Somewhere, someone has this on their to-do list (though it’s probably buried under 500 other things).

One day, someone at HQ will say, what can we do that will seem like a really big deal that we can tout as a huge improvement to the game? And bringing back something we used to have would be exactly the sort of thing they’re looking for.

Either that, or they’ll devise a system where we can have our granular permissions back if we do a long, involved meta achieve… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I know what that’s like lol. I’m working on writing my own UI, each day I do a little bit more to it but it’ll probably take a year to complete :rofl:

3 Likes

Hard to believe this thread is more than two and a half years old. Seriously. I wonder if it’s some kind of record. I know it’s older than this iteration of the forums, and of course it’s older than the current expansion. In fact, it started in the pre-patch of BfA, so it’s technically older than the last two expansions.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Yeah, we’ve struggled along without our granular permissions. How many guilds broke up over that time? How many just died a quiet death? Sure, some have done well, but how can you quantify what might have been? How many guilds would have expanded if they hadn’t been hobbled with one-size-fits-all permissions? How many more players would have stuck around if their guilds had been more active?

I know no one at Blizzard even glances at this thread anymore. They stopped doing dev Q&A’s a while ago. They just don’t want to hear anything from us nowadays. But that’s not going to stop me. I’ll keep posting until I quit WoW. That might be a while yet. We’ll see.

5 Likes

We’ve about got Classy for our guild, and after that, who knows…Some don’t even play anymore and that’s a guild of six (a seventh hasn’t played in years). Guilds just aren’t worth as much since the nerf to levels (we’d fully leveled the guild before that was removed) and the perks mostly disappeared, it really doesn’t seem like Blizzard values guilds in general.

2 Likes

Famous dying words of a dying “game” company.

2 Likes

Blizzard is doing an online submission for the Q&As for each game for BlizzConline- now’s our chance to try and get their attention about the guild permissions! I found the link through their FB page.

That sounds so sad and desperate reading it back. That’s the point we’re at. Wow.

4 Likes

Well… we did get their attention on a Q&A a couple years ago. That was when Ion said the change was unintentional and they were working on a fix. I’m not saying that trying to get into the BlizzConline Q&A is a bad idea, just that even if they pick “our” question and answer it, we can’t assume it will make any difference.

But yeah, we should go ahead and try it. Doesn’t cost anything but a smidgen of effort (which is more than Blizz seems to have been giving our issue).

1 Like

Oh, well. I went to the Blizzcon site to ask about the guild permissions. Found the Q&A page. Clicked on the WoW button. Took me to a page with some lovely mountainous artwork and this message:

“We thank you for your time spent taking this survey.
Your response has been recorded.”

Yup. They really want to hear from us.

:rofl:

3 Likes

It’s WoW. You can’t trust anyone here.

1 Like

Gigglz posed a question in the Q&A re: guild permissions in what appears to be the eu section of the forums:

Gigglz

155 posts
60 Gnome Death Knight
7h
With the introduction of communities, the guild permissions system was broken and a fix was applied that put all permissions on one check box. Ion did say in an interview that this was unintentional and would be looked at. There is a thread on the US forums that has been going since Jul 2018 that contains a lot of great feedback on how and why this is important (as well as other great ideas to improve guilds), but there has been no further word from Blizzard since just after it happened. Could we get a final response on if this is going to be restored or kept as it currently is?

The post is at approx. 229 and can be found here:

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ask-your-questions-for-the-wow-qa-here/249184/241

So far, the post has received only one upvote.

4 Likes

I submitted a question about this issue through a link that I saw on on MMO Champion that took me to a very simple page that allowed you to submit a text, video or audio question. Unfortunately, they’re no longer accepting questions there. I guess that isn’t unreasonable seeing that the Q&A is the day after tomorrow.

4 Likes

The site said they were taking questions until the 19th. I don’t know why it didn’t work for me. But that’s okay, I went to the link Druunah provided and gave Gigglz question an upvote. Now I have to resist alt-spamming it with upvotes. (Pretty sure Blizz can tell if the votes are from the same account.)

I don’t have much hope of the question getting answered even if it got a thousand votes, but we have to try.

EDIT: I really like the way Gigglz worded their question, by the way. Got to the point clearly and professionally.

4 Likes

Today’s the big day. /turns on announcer voice

Will Blizzard, against all odds, answer a question that’s been doggedly following them for two years?? Or will the fans, equally as dogged in their constant fight to be heard, be left in the dust once more?! Tune in to BlizzConline for likely disappointing conclusion!

Okay, okay. I’m done. But I really do hope it gets answered or it’s just the biggest middle finger to us that I can think of. :confused:

2 Likes

If they answer anything about guilds, I will be amazed.

5 Likes

Well I went in with hope but tempered with the realistic expectation that we won’t get any information.

Buckle in folks, time to keep this thing going until next BlizzCon or we get an answer… whichever happens first…

5 Likes

I’d say I’m surprised that Ion and the rest of Blizz didn’t answer any questions about this… but I’d be lying. They’re going to continue to ignore it till everyone forgets about it.

2 Likes

As long as I’m playing WoW, I’m not going to forget.

Like you, I wasn’t the least surprised they mentioned nothing about guilds. It would have been nice if they’d answered anything at all on the topic, but nope. Guilds are apparently not important to the current development team.

I’m not surprised, but I am extremely disappointed.

6 Likes

so it’s safe to assume that blizzard is never going to fix this dumpster fire isnt it?

2 Likes

Well, Ion never likes to say “never” but I certainly am not going to hold my breath. I’m also not going to let them forget about it. Until/unless they tell us directly that guild permissions are “working as intended” (or they close this thread down) I’m going to keep popping in here and poking the dead horse.

4 Likes

‘Because we’d rather you didn’t play demonology’ was/is a thing and that guy still has a job at blizzard so it wouldn’t surprise me.

I miss being able to rp in my guild chat and everyone having access to officer chat for real world conversations. It is and will always be a rather stupid decision on their part as far as i can see to have pulled all the guild controls and streamlined it the way they did

4 Likes