The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

I feel like our issue has turned into a rag soaked in something entirely different.

I’m doing shadowlands, and like always, the artwork is amazing. I wish the devs would give guilds a tenth of the love the artists give to their work.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m checking in again to make sure my voice is heard. Everyone contributing to this discussion needs to keep doing so as well.

As of now, I still haven’t assigned anyone in our guild with the “Is Officer” check box since there are certain permissions I will not assign, regardless of rank. As a result, nobody in the guild has access to any of those eight privileges since they’re all lumped together in a one-size-fits-all definition of “an officer,” as defined by someone at Blizzard. I’ve been playing WoW since March of 2005, raiding since Molten Core of 2005, and leading our guild as guild master since TBC in 2007. I know our guild and how to effectively manage it, not some stranger who knows nothing about us. That’s as politely as I can say it.

Please give us the individual permission customization we had prior to patch 8.0. That’s all I’m asking for. Things have been more inefficient without granular permissions for many guild masters trying to manage their guild structures and styles.

For further recommendations to help guild management, add a complete log/record system for the guild bank so the guild master can keep track of cumulative records on gold deposits, gold repairs, gold withdraws, item deposits, and item withdraws. If WoW developers can create and maintain a statistics tab with all kinds of totally useless information for my character’s history, they can add a feature that lets me keep track of guild bank records. That would actually help guilds and their leaders manage things like donations rather than have to make Google sheets and such.

Please address this problem. This thread began on July 17, 2018. We’re now at November 24, 2020. Shadowlands is live now, and this still hasn’t been addressed. That’s absolutely absurd.

Many other recommendations to help guilds have already been provided in this thread. The information is here. You have what you need, and the “discussion” has already occurred. Read it, and pass the information along to the next group of people who need to make the corrections. Failure to do so will just further the stereotypes of poor communication and the apparent growing disregard for the guild community of WoW.

I will continue to check in here until the change is made. Everyone else needs to do so, too.

Wretchedmist
GM of Obsidian Spur - Thrall realm
2004 Horde launch guild

8 Likes

Just helping to keep this issue alive in Shadowlands and build on it.
I’m surprised the issue of “Officer”-controls-being-bundled-under-guild-controls has yet to be properly addressed or resolved by Blizzard. It has been years, and I still hate it. If anything, they could add an option between the simple bundled version OR full customization for guild controls.
I keep submitting suggestions, and I really hope this gets resolved soon. I want to have different officer ranks with different permissions. Like many others here:

• No, I don’t want my officers to be able to change my GMOTD.

• No, I don’t want all officers to be able to delete other people’s guild events.

• No, I don’t want all officers to be able to change my recruitment message.

I want many different types of officers like my high-up main officers; regular officers for day-to-day activities; I want raiding, mythic+, and PvP officers/leaders; and I want recruiters who each have different access to some (but not all) of the duties that are all bundled together…still! PLEASE Blizzard, pay attention to what we are asking, and to make most people happy, just make full customization another option, while keeping the bundle an option for people who prefer that for their guild. This could be something as simple as (although potentially not as simple to implement, I wouldn’t know) a box you check at the top of the menu to go full customization or keep the controls what they are now.
Thank you, and please just fix this already.

10 Likes

^This hits the nail on the head. Tyrne, your entire post is exactly what Blizzard needs to read and understand. I really wish they would.

8 Likes

Saw in bug reports that at least one GM isn’t seeing applications from applicants he knows applied. This doesn’t sound at all good. I haven’t had any applicants for a while, but now I don’t know if it’s because no one’s interested or because I never got the applications.

I realize this is a different issue from our primary one about the permissions, but what good do permissions do us if the Guild Finder is broken and we can’t invite people? If what this GM is experiencing isn’t a one-off, it’s another sign that Blizz is allowing guilds to languish. That doesn’t bode well for the future of the game.

4 Likes

I’ve seen no changes in my guild permissions and have heard of none coming up. I keep hoping I’m simply misinformed. Anyone have any better news?

2 Likes

Yeah and yet this whole thread is still sitting on his desktop with a pin for priority so no one else bothered to address it.

5 Likes

Because, thats what Blizz does, have you seen how not-unique ANYthing in the game is, or has been since cata?

You wanna bet that they bring back Arthas for a redemption arc in 9.1?

If he brings our granular permissions with him, I’ll be all for it. :+1:

Seriously, I don’t want to think that our permissions are dependent in anyway on the story line. Guild management is an essential part of game play, not lore.

Right now, it almost looks like Blizzard doesn’t really want guilds. That would be an enormous mistake. Guilds are the glue that holds WoW together, and guild management tools are what hold guilds together. Blizz needs to be expanding on this, not shrinking it.

4 Likes

I dunno, mr. “1 lich king to rule them all” doesn’t sound like a very granular guy…

4 Likes

Just posting because I’ve seen no changes, and even though Blizzard is ignoring the issue now (despite Ion claiming they were working on it), it’s still an issue. This isn’t going away, though it’s possible the players who are trying to deal with it will give up and “go away.” Not a result that would be good for the overall health of the game.

3 Likes

Oh hey, I forgot about this thread. 4400 comments. OOF

3 Likes

I’m still concerned about the guild finder (as well as the permissions). It shows my guild (as far as I can tell) but I haven’t had any applicants for a while, and the ones I approved since the finder started working again haven’t accepted. That makes me wonder if they got my invite or not.

Can anyone confirm a new recruit from the finder since Shadowlands launched? If it’s still not really working, that’s one more thing about guilds that still needs fixing. Not a good sign. I’m hoping the permissions are still the only real problem we have.

3 Likes

I can confirm new recruits since Shadowlands launched for my guild.

1 Like

Excellent!

Just to be clear, these were recruits that found your guild through the guild finder, applied through the finder, and were accepted through the finder, right? Not ones invited in person. (Because that’s never been a problem, just the finder has had issues.)

1 Like

The primary issue I encountered was a longterm guild member who stopped being visible under member registry. I could speak with them in guild chat but not even their toon’s personal name appeared. Promotion or demotion was not even an option should I start redesigning permissions. I agree the checkbox with a list abilities is an imposition on how each GM manages their membership. It is simply frustrating not being able to meet the needs of guild mates. I am trying to be patient and work within the context of this bug, but if I can’t even tell when certain members are online or if their toons are invisible, it just magnifies the enormity of how GMs are having their hands tied. The only thing I need to get on record is Blizzard should be addressing this ASAP.

4 Likes

I have recruits found and invited via the finder almost daily. I do need to keep refreshing the recruitment message every couple of days, or it will randomly disappear from searches. I also find that I can only whisper (or even find via /who) a subset of the people on my merged servers (including my own server). For example, I had a guildie ask me to invite his alt, and both of us just got “player not found” errors. And a /who of my guild name shows less than half of the guildies currently online.

2 Likes

/thread

That’s refreshing news.

This, however, is not at all refreshing. Ugh. Bugs upon bugs. Does Blizz even have anyone working on guilds?

I am getting more and more discouraged daily. How can we hope for separated permissions when the features we currently have don’t even function properly?

2 Likes