The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

I like the changes. Officer chat is NOT for roleplay, you can create a whole new guild chat channel for that. Non-officers are able to edit their own public notes, this officer only option is for everyone’s public note. Why would you want random guildies editting everyone elses notes? That will cause nothing but chaos. Officer notes are for officers eyes only so why would you want to allow random guildies to see them? Many guilds use those notes for warning type purposes if a guildie has been bad. These changes are for officers only, if you’re promoting random people to officer for rp purposes then you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

You don’t seem to understand the issue. This thread has nothing to do with officer chat. Having nearly all permissions lumped under “is officer” is what we’re unhappy about here.

Most of the GM’s commenting in this thread would like to spread those responsibilities out among several different guild members without having to make them all officers (and give them all the permissions). GM’s who want all officers to have all permissions could still do that even if the permissions were broken up like they used to be. But those of us who want to parcel the responsibilities out are unable to do so.

In a Q&A a while back, Ion said the change was unintentional and they were working on a fix. He also asked for feedback regarding improvements we’d like to see in guilds. So the thread filled up with lots of excellent suggestions. But we’ve gotten no fix and no hint that the suggestions were even read, much less acted upon.

7 Likes

That whole post is one giant “lolwat”.

Exactly. Multiple ranks are almost meaningless now. I cannot have ambassadors who do certain things compared to my officers, because permissions were lumped together. I cannot have other ranks have just one or two higher permissions, because they smashed them all together under “officer.”

I have no reason to have a bunch of ranks now and my guildies have nothing to strive for as far as responsibility within the guild.

They should have kept Community and Guild permissions completely separate. Grouping them screwed us over.

No idea what this even means or is in reference to.

3 Likes

In reference to that.

5 Likes

OH! Thanks. I was genuinely confused. LOL

And yes… definitely “lolwut,” I agree.

5 Likes

I’ve been a GM since BC launch and I prefer it this way, makes my job easier. What blizz should add is a way to kick multiple people out at once. There use to be an addon that had a filter system. My fave filter was kicking anyone offline for X amount of time. In big guilds, this helps a lot but the addon hasn’t been updated in years.

1 Like

You prefer not having options for all of your ranks? Why?

3 Likes

It’s literally so hard for you to make yourself one officer rank and check off all the permissions for that one rank (one time) that you need Blizz to do it for you? That’s all you would have to do if the permissions were separated again.

However, those of us who would like to spread the permissions out over several ranks no longer have a way to do this. All we’re asking for is the options we used to have.

11 Likes

Seriously, this is why the “it works for me!” argument falls flat. It’d still work for you if things went back to how they were.

4 Likes

This is a very poorly planned and poorly executed idea on behalf of the team who wrote it. I have been a GM in multiple guilds, and have NEVER given that degree of access to all of my officers. I had one or maybe 2 I trusted that got all of that access, and then created officer ranks to slowly build up the permissions as I grew to trust them.

The reason I did this was because there are folks who will join a guild solely with the intent of destroying it. Give the wrong person kick permissions, and half the guild is gone in a week. Give the wrong person guild vault access and they liquidate the vault.

7 Likes

I’m the Necro Police…

Necro… Polic…

Necropolis…

1 Like

I think you might be lost. ‘Necro’ refers to posting on a dead/old thread and bringing it back. This thread has been active since it was started. Unless, of course, you are trolling, in which case, well done - you got me!

You hit the nail on the head with this comment. Nothing in the current setup prevents them from doing what they want.

Well said!

6 Likes

Well, he is posting on a troll…

He probably just looks at the OP start date and not at how active the thread is. I really can’t blame someone for thinking a thread that started back in July 2018 has to be a necro and couldn’t possibly be an active thread, ya know? I mean, Blizzard wouldn’t let something go on this long with out a resolution, would they? :rofl:

Honestly, if they’ve given up and truly have no intention of fixing this, I wish they would just say so. If they actually are trying to fix it and have some kind of roadblock holding things up. I’d like to know that, too. This limbo thing is just not cutting it.

9 Likes

Opps… exactly what happened…

Keep on keeping on, maybe you guys will get your fix…

7 Likes

I would develop several ranks in my guild

GM = GOD/Owner/Ruler/Mr. Incredible
Officer = Nepotism/IRL Friends/People I Severely Trust with D2D
Guard = Person who is Trusted, but not an Officer and has Special Powers
Raid/PvP = Similar to Guard, but with Less Power. More of a Role
Member = Raid/PvP Alt’s and Ya Know, Members
New Members = Just Invited/Trial
Stale = Stale Accounts, Players Who are Dead to me or Players Who my Officers or Guards had Issues with and they put in TO. I may choose to eject from the Guild or Talk to to see what the Issue is. Sometime it’s a Misunderstanding or Whatever.

Regardless of all that. I should have the ability to set what players/ranks have permissions to. There are responsibilities that should fall squarely on the GM and not another rank in the guild. If I want my officers to be GM’s then I will give them those Permissions. It shouldn’t be automatic.

6 Likes

Well, I still can’t change my Avatar. Apparently Fumel isn’t allowed to post here anymore.

He’s gotten some applicants through the finder now that it’s working again. Sure wish the permissions could get the attention that bug did.

It truly looks like Blizz won’t do anything about it now. I don’t know if they’re waiting for us all to quit playing, quit having guilds, or just quit complaining. Pretty sure the first thing is far more likely than the last thing.

3 Likes

One big reason I won’t gm anymore. It is extremely difficult to find total strangers you can trust to do ALL things the way you want it, when you want it, as you want it.

Having to explain “rules” or “this is the way I want it” is NOT my bag, and folks hate it anyhow (“don’t try and teach a pig to sing” reference). Would be nice to give the RIGHT people the RIGHT tasks.

I don’t wanna have to trust all officers with the Bank stuff - tab labels, etc.
I personally could care less about who controls gold, but delegating that would be wise - because I don’t care.

To allow someone to officer means that I trust that person with EVERYTHING else, which just is never realistic for me.

Most of my guilds have been 500+ folks, real accounts and not just toons. I find that on a day when all the planets line up and I’ve had JUST the right coffee and toast - someone wanders along who both wants to help, and is able. Infrequent… on a GOOD day.

Most folks just wanted the guild rank goodies and to have someone lead them in their fun. I like that, it’s cool - but I want help in the right spots without risking the whole show.

8 Likes

This excellently sums up our argument for granular permissions. Great post. :+1:

7 Likes

Still broken, still being ignored by Blizzard…

4 Likes