The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

They’ve really never been shy about saying that things are “working as intended” though. If this change was intentional, they normally would flat out say so (and probably give a Tauren dooty reason why it’s such a great thing for players).

They did fix a bunch of screwed-up things with the guild UI early on. Then they made the vid where Ion said the fix for permissions was coming and asked us for more feedback. That’s the part that’s so mind-boggling. He didn’t have to say either of those things. He didn’t have to address the issue at all if they really wanted the permissions this way.

So, if this change truly is intentional, they compounded the problem with utterly horrible communication. Posters in this thread have said over and over that if it’s not going to be fixed, just say so. Don’t tell us a fix is coming and ask for more feedback.

6 Likes

I think this is honestly what bothers me more at this point than the dang permissions in the first place! If Ion had just said, “yep, working as intended, you’re SoL” I’d have been bummed but it wouldn’t be the first time and certainly won’t be the last that something kinda bummed me out. Saying, “yeah, we see that problem, please give us feedback about how to fix it” and then giving us two years of radio silence is just plain rude!

But I’d be willing to forgive it if they, you know… fixed it.

7 Likes

Beep. Don’t hang up.

This has gone on so long that I’ve outsourced my commenting to Google Translate.

Commence message:

Correct the rights. I would also like some improvements, but at least restore the function. Granular Officer Permits are the best and safest way to ensure that orders have what they need.

I am a human. This is not an automated message.

Beep.

4 Likes

Sadly, this change just kind of shows how simplistic they want all this stuff.

Officer should have no different tiers, apparently. It’s ridiculous.

5 Likes

So, when I checked on my guild last night, I saw the applicants and applicant history were still greyed out. Also, the guild log (who joined, who left, promotions, etc.) is missing all entries newer than 9 months ago. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I put in a bug report. I hope it gets fixed but… yeah. My faith in Blizz has fallen in the abyss. Not sure if anything can rez it at this point.

5 Likes

It looks like they nuked all information. Mine was blank too.

1 Like

Guilds are borked. I have zero faith in the devs and Ion is essentially blizz’s version of orange clown in office. Lies, flip flopping, etc.

2 Likes

My guild’s logs/data is all still intact. But I’m not on a server that was recently merged. So maybe that’s a factor. Idk.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s a result of the merge. And now I’m wondering if it can be fixed. I mean, the logs might have been wiped with the merge or something. The applicants and applicant history though–that needs to be fixed. How can we invite folks when we can’t see their request to join?

2 Likes

They also need to fix it so we can un-approve / delete requests.

There are people who apply, then never bother logging back in on that character for months.

These names just sits there on the list clogging up space without a way to get rid of them.

It’s ridiculous - just let us unapprove or delete it.

5 Likes

Lol, this is one of my pet peeves as well. It seems a little odd how so many of these features seem like they were done halfway. I don’t know if it’s a budgetary issue or if they just don’t have the level of creative talent they had before - and I don’t say this to be snarky: I think the art team and the team that designs the actual game play are doing work that I really enjoy, but some of these ‘nuts and bolts’ decisions and designs are well under par. I’m wondering if they have more ‘entry level’ people working on this stuff (if anyone at all).

As I said before, permissions should not be a big deal. Mostly some simple database checks and if/else statements - an entry level programmer should be able to fix it if they wanted to fix it (assuming there is nothing seriously non-standard about their database and code).

Some of these other issues are just bad design or implementation…

6 Likes

I think it’s a case of there being more work than the people assigned to it can handle. By that I mean, they need more personnel, not that the people they have are incompetent. Like, a particular project might require ten people, but they only assign four.

I think all the problems with Blizzard and WoW are coming down from a management level, not from the folks who are actually doing the work. That’s just my gut feeling.

4 Likes

There is a bug thread on this, it has been a problem with merges for quite a while now. Yet blizz continues to force mergers on unsuspecting servers, knowing that they are borking guilds.

Crippling guild recruitment right before an expansion is unbelievable, especially when a new batch of potential recruits has just been merged in. This does not appear to affect ALL guilds after a merger, so I suspect it is a data problem with guild records, probably residue from the communities fiasco.

Another wonderful feature after the merge - my guild now has around 60 garbage member records, which can be seen by scrolling to the end of the member list. We have around 950 members, but /ginfo shows us at 1000. So does /groster, though it does not show the garbage records. The guild/communities interface shows 950, but I have no idea what to believe, and haven’t tested inviting another member.

I put in a ticket, naturally, and managed to get auto-answered (due to “volume”), lied at, then closed.

Thank you blizz, I had been dealing with the permission issue and just hoping for a surprise resolution with Shadowlands, but now I see that expecting you to care about guilds is likely just false hope.

5 Likes

Yikes. Let me know if you want to test the add a member problem, I’m happy to roll an alt over on your server for testing purposes.

Much appreciated, but I have been rolling alts on various of the merged servers to test all the permutations and try applying from everywhere, and have just not gotten around to getting a guildie to invite one of them yet to see how the supposed max number is affected.

And the answer is… the inflated member number wins. Inviting a new member tells me that the guild has reached maximum. Now I need to kick some more people. One of my guild’s great features is that previously active members don’t get kicked - I have had people return after 3 years astounded that they still have a guild. I have people that are off on deployment, just had a baby, or just got burned out. Now I get to artificially let 50 more potential returnees go just because someone can’t count correctly. On the bright side, they won’t have to return to a guild that can’t even set permissions properly…

2 Likes

Uuuuuugh, that stinks. Our general policy on kicks is that we demote to a no-access rank after 6 months, kick all alts at 12 and then hang on to the main until no one remembers who they are, lol. We’re very alt friendly, so the alt kicks aren’t optional, but we have had that same “oh gosh, I still have a guild” experience, and it’s super fun.

My whole guild is an alt guild. At least, that’s how I advertise it. A place for folks to park their alts if they’re worried about them getting kicked from their “main” guild. Characters come and go, get played or not, it doesn’t really matter.

Now, if Blizz showed more love to guilds, fixed the permissions and did some of the other things suggested in this thread, I would make it a much more active guild. But right now my guild is just a way for characters to have a shorter hearth cool-down.

I almost feel like I’ve hit on Blizz’s ultimate vision for guilds. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

No changes on the problems with the guild applicants, etc. for the newly merged guilds. I looked in the bug forums and saw nothing from Blizz about it, though I confess I didn’t do a thorough search. I mean, it’s not fixed in game, so what difference does it really make what they say on the forums?

3 Likes

They wouldn’t want to admit that they know there is a problem, because then people might ask why they keep merging servers and creating more problems every week.

3 Likes

I’m assuming that they have to have the merges done either before the pre-patch or SL release … I only assume this because why else would they continue to proceed with the merges without first fixing the known problems?

I’ve seen a bunch of posts about problems, but not much in the way of replies. I’m on a realm that has been merged for years, so I’m not impacted with the worst of this, but I have seen stray characters showing up in the roster who are not in the guild and that I can’t select. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes