The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

Had a member bail on the guild. That’s fine, since it’s just an alt guild. I figure if people want a more active guild, they shouldn’t be in mine.

But it’s still kind of sad. I don’t know if having granular permissions would make any difference to my guild members, but they would make me more interested in playing and maybe actually doing things with my guild.

I hate feeling like I’m marking time until we see if the Shadowlands pre-patch fixes this mess. Which is basically marking time until I see if I want to buy the expansion. sigh

5 Likes

Not the permissions precisely, but my sister is struggling to ensure we can all access the guild for repairs. Some days it gives us the full 5k, other days we start at 0 and never get anything. She’s a little frustrated.

4 Likes

This sounds like a bug. I hope your sister has reported it.

Though Fumel has given everyone repair privileges, I have no idea if anyone has tried to use them. The GB’s gold reserves haven’t been tapped at all. Maybe I should check on that.

4 Likes

Scenario:
I have a guild. I want someone to be able to recruit and interview folks in game. I, however, don’t necessarily think they need to be part of the top level admin of the guild yet. A recruiting officer solely, if you will. No ability to kick or what have you, but invite people if necessary. I can no longer do this. I could do this before.

Reverse the changes please.

7 Likes

Once again, I haven’t logged in because I don’t want to look at my guild permissions and see them unchanged. It’s just too freaking depressing.

4 Likes

Scenario:
Someone in my guild really loves professions and wants to be able to manage the guild bank. Add items they craft, manage the things other people add, but they don’t want to be responsible for admin or recruiting or any of the other variety of permissions. They try to keep to this but people keep asking them about normal officer stuff and they get annoyed. In the old system, I could set up permissions so someone was just essentially a “quartermaster” without issue. Now I can’t. I can’t give anyone a special set of permissions. Because we’ve directly downgraded.

Please revert the changes.

11 Likes

WoW used to be my “Happy place” where I could escape from the insanity of the real world. Now that the insanity outside has quadrupled, I need an escape even more than ever. But every time I log in, all I get is one disappointment after another.

These permissions aren’t getting fixed before Shadowlands–if then. I’m beginning to feel this is the last straw for me. If the permissions aren’t fixed by the next expac, I don’t think I’ll waste any more time with this. Right now I’m going to watch a few YouTube videos :violin: :violin: and then maybe practice :saxophone: :musical_keyboard: some more.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m checking in again to make sure my voice is heard. Everyone contributing to this discussion needs to keep doing so.

As of now, I still haven’t assigned anyone in our guild with the “Is Officer” check box since there are certain permissions I will not assign, regardless of rank. As a result, nobody in the guild has access to any of those eight privileges since they’re all lumped together in a one-size-fits-all definition of “an officer,” as defined by someone at Blizzard. I’ve been playing WoW since March of 2005, raiding since Molten Core of 2005, and leading our guild as guild master since TBC in 2007. I know our guild and how to effectively manage it, not some stranger who knows nothing about us.

Please give us the individual permission customization we had prior to patch 8.0. That’s all I’m asking for.

For further recommendations to help guild management, add a complete log/record system for the guild bank so the guild master can keep track of cumulative records on gold deposits, gold repairs, gold withdraws, item deposits, and item withdraws. If WoW developers can create and maintain a statistics tab with all kinds of totally useless information for my character’s history, they can add a feature that lets me keep track of guild bank records. That would actually help guilds and their leaders manage things like donations rather than have to make Google sheets and such.

Please address this problem. This thread began on July 17, 2018. We’re now at March 16, 2020. That’s absolutely absurd.

Many other recommendations to help guilds have already been provided in this thread. This information can be gleaned from some eager interns and would make a good project. You have what you need, and the “discussion” has already occurred. Read it, and pass the information along to the next group of people who need to make the corrections. Failure to do so will just further the stereotypes of poor communication and the apparent growing disregard for the gaming and guild community of WoW… which is sad. This is a microcosm of much larger problems occurring with the game… and company.

I will continue to check in here until the change is made. Everyone else needs to do so, too.

Wretchedmist
GM of Obsidian Spur - Thrall realm
2004 Horde launch guild

9 Likes

Sounds reasonable to me.

If you can’t trust them, just tell them. All my officers have authority to do everything but withdraw gold from the gbank.

This is really not a problem for most guilds, especially raiding guilds. I am the leader of a community of guild leaders on our server. No one worries a bit about these permissions. Most like them, honestly. Always better to know someone before you trust them…

No. I do not want to accept a degraded level of permissions and just deal with an overly simplified system. It is a problem enough for many guilds that have posted in here. If you want to have a singular set of permissions like this you could have done it under the old system. Old system makes you happy and I happy. New system only makes you happy. So I will continue to protest it.

16 Likes

I don’t think you can speak for “most” guilds, Che. I agree that many serious raiding guilds have work-arounds that make the permissions superfluous. But that doesn’t remotely apply to “most” guilds.

But hey, thanks for bumping the thread!

6 Likes

Is anyone else using the Guild Roster Manager addon? It has been handy to keep track of the roster, especially when people leave unexpectedly. If you have linked players to their characters then it creates sort of a profile window. Then when you choose that character from the Guild UI it opens that profile window with notes and a link to their other characters.
Biggest drawbacks are that I cannot manage ranks or mass-kick a player and all their alts using the addon.
But the biggest benefit is when someone leaves unexpectedly, it tracks them and shows pertinent data such as when they left, how long they were in the guild and which other characters, if any were attached to that character.

I feel like this should have been incorporated into the Guild UI a long time ago, at least with the player profile.

8 Likes

This does sound like a very useful addon for most guilds. It doesn’t matter so much with mine–people are free to come and go (since it’s just an alt guild), but I can definitely see its being helpful for larger, more structured guilds.

When I’m feeling optimistic, I like to think that Blizz has a number of improvements for guilds in the works. I like to think we’ll be getting a lot more than our permissions fixed. That we’ll see functions like this addon put in.

Sadly, I haven’t been feeling very optimistic lately.

3 Likes

I haven’t played a ton recently, but the past few days I’ve noticed even more things breaking. Community chats? Broken. Guild permissions? Still broken.

Are you trying to drive away your customer base by breaking everything Blizz? Because I still have my FFXIV subscription, and the state of your game keeps getting worse. Can we ever expect -any- replies from your teams, or should we just get accustomed to total and complete radio silence while other aspects of the game break yet are portrayed as ‘working as intended’?

I’m salty today. Who can tell?

8 Likes

Nah. It doesn’t show at all. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, bah. I haven’t been staying on top of this issue. Too many other things to worry about, I guess.

Not sure if the xp bonus is going to overcome my reluctance to log in and see the screwed up permissions. Maybe if I avoid looking at the guild UI…

6 Likes

I hate to admit it, but I still haven’t been able to bring myself to log in and check on my guild because I don’t want to see that horrible “is officer” permission anymore.

I’m already seeing more than enough depressing things these days.

5 Likes

Blizzard, even amid all the “distractions” of late in the real world, I for one (as I promised well over a year ago now) have not forgotten.

Fix our guilds please, the permissions are STILL broken.

Thank you.

9 Likes

Yeah. Posting because this issue still matters to me. Like self-isolating, I’m making things work as best I can. That doesn’t mean I can keep this up forever.

About a year ago, Ion said they were working on a fix. Is Blizzard really such a slacker in technology that they still haven’t found one? Or was Ion simply prevaricating? Honestly, at this point, I think the answer might be both.

4 Likes