The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1)

07/20/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Sparklespazz
PLEASE.

^ This. :(
This is a logistical nightmare for me, a guild master. My guild does not have officers. Ranks are sorted by what people enjoy doing in the game, and most have equal permissions, and that included changing guild notes for themselves because I REQUIRE all alts to have a guild note stating their main's name.

Now, instead of allowing them to do it themselves, because I am not always online, I have to do it. (I do have two people I gave permissions now, but it still shouldn't be this way) In the communities tab, it's not letting me change guild notes of people who are offline, or people who recently joined/logged in. Sometimes, I can't click a person's name to update it for over thirty minutes! Everyone else can be clicked except them.

Luckily, /guildroster is a work-around that is keeping me sane.

Not having officers makes it easier on us to be drama free. Splitting permissions amongst varying ranks accordingly was easy, and worked well before.

There are 533 character in my guild across 215 individual accounts. I'm not giving all of them access to officer permissions just so they can change guild notes. Out of every person I've talked to in my guild and friends list, not a single person likes communities or the UI that comes with them.

Please fix this.
I was actually so pissed off at this change that I spent hf of today finding every thread there was already on this topic and linking them all back to the original (this one) just to get more traffic so blizzard would actually notice lol.

I've been a guild master for over 5 years now am I am baffled at these changes, they need to get in the bin ASAP!

Thank you all so much for supporting this thread to get this issue fixed <3
I tried to make a thread in the beta forums and the toxic MvP's and testers just did everything they could to derail it. Than when I made another it was "fishing for people to agree with me" and "spam" so it got deleted.

Also got told (by beta forum users) perks were "bribes" to be in guilds and shouldn't be a thing. But Forcing us to PvP with bonus experience in warmode and adding 50% experience boost on the PvP heirlooms for completing battlegrounds isn't a "bribe". But guild perks we had to grind to unlock were over the line? WTF LOL
1 Like
Bumping this also this is a pointless change and is hurting/going to hurt guilds
I didnt even see anything about the permission changes until it went live. .
07/20/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Osiris
We need MORE tools for Guilds. Not less. If your intent is to drive people away from guilds more and more until one day they aren't a thing, just let us know so we can at least go numb and stop caring about our teams / how they interact and play the game.

This. So much this. The amount of work some of us have to put in just to keep things together is mind boggling. Frustrating. harmful.
All while our ability to do our roles is struck further and further.
This is a really terrible change. Guild leaders, their officers and their members deserve better. Please revert.

In my case, I'd allow EVERYONE to change public note. (Many people bring alts into the guild, so this way, they can change it to let us know who their main is, and anything else, like spec or profession). WHY does this HAVE to be an officer permission only? And WHY should the DEVS be the ones to determine which permissions should go together? And WHY remove the ability (without using a macro) to see who was on last?

Why can't my veterans create events?

Why don't you want people seeing who was on last? For me, that's been my default view of the guild roster, since it allows me to see who I may have just missed, who's been playing a lot lately, and who hasn't been on in awhile. While I don't cull most people (even those who've been gone awhile), I do use the information to determine things like promotions, to whom I might send Guild Anniversary gifts, etc. It doesn't matter the actual REASON - I just don't see the point of taking it away. (Luckily we still have this with /guildroster . . . but knowing Blizzard, they'll take this out to force us to use their simplified interface. I sure the hell hope not!!)

While Devs may be the "big picture" people, guild leaders are out there in the world, creating all sorts of environments and "homes" for people in the game, from high-end raiding, PvP, RP, Social/Casual and everything in-between and combined. THEY - the Guild Leaders - should determine how a guild is run, who gets what permissions, etc. Guild leaders have done everything from lead raids, plan strats, plan events, be supply officers, tech support, game trainers, people who communicate game changes, explain changing systems, tamp down on drama, create a place where people can feel truly at home in the game. Those that raid may have spent a lot of time coming up with the best loot systems, trying their best to hand out loot in the most fair way possible (a choice no longer theirs). They may have been the shoulder to cry on, or offer tough love. Some are like work managers, trying to get the most out of their guilds, some are like dads or moms in-game. So many of us have put so much into our guilds.

And I think Blizzard wouldn't mind if it was all destroyed. I have a feeling they really don't like guilds. They'd rather promote their Communities feature than support guilds. (Why not BOTH?? it's worth the time and effort). I don't think they have an respect for guilds or their leaders anymore, as we've seen more and more stripped away from guilds. The guild control should have been improved and added to, not dumbed-down. The people who made this decision must have had horrible experiences in guilds or something and have probably never run guilds (at least, not with a lot of effort).
This thread be spittin so many truths haha
PSA: We're still missing a lot of removed things, but I'd like to share that now if you check the "Show Offline Members" in your new guild UI, the "zone" tab now shows and can sort by when someone was last online.

Still would like the old permissions back though. :(
Not that it makes the new guild UI good, but if you tick show offline and sort by zone you can see last online for your guild.
PSA: We're still missing a lot of removed things, but I'd like to share that now if you check the "Show Offline Members" in your new guild UI, the "zone" tab now shows and can sort by when someone was last online.

Thanks for the update fam, it's a step in the right direction but there are battles yet to come haha

Thanks for the update fam, it's a step in the right direction but there are battles yet to come haha

You're welcome! I had just noticed it most recently.
It was not there before my raid started, so I imagine a hotfix of some form was thrown in lately.
I like a lot of the changes. We run a dual faction, max roster guild with a lot of leadership. Thankful for the inactive change recently. Still very disturbed about the lack of ability to have different ranks have different abilities i.e. adjust guild notes, that all "officers" have the ability to g kick, etc.
07/17/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Kaiyeri
Not to mention the numerous RP guilds who used officer chat as their RP chat in order to leave guild chat as their out of character chat.

Why?

It's always been possible to make custom channels and password protect them.

EDIT: Unless they removed that ability as well.
07/21/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Catralonne
07/17/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Kaiyeri
Not to mention the numerous RP guilds who used officer chat as their RP chat in order to leave guild chat as their out of character chat.

Why?

It's always been possible to make custom channels and password protect them.

EDIT: Unless they removed that ability as well.

Why should an RP guild have to make another separate channel that isn't part of their guild UI in order to accomplish this? It's a lot easier to maintain channels when you don't need to join a bunch of them manually. (Which, by the way, they've basically replaced this with "communities" it looks like, perhaps. :) I haven't tested if /join channel works for custom w/ password still.)

They can make an another new channel in the new guild UI, but you are unable to limit it. Which, this will work for most guilds that roleplay, and it will not require for them to make a new channel and password set it, and hope that everyone can spell the channel name correctly. This would be the better option there, and its a nice upside to the changes.

Edit: What I mean by using the Guild UI, is up at the top when you look at your guild chat, you have a drop down menu between officer and guild. There's an option to add a new channel there. You can only limit the channel to "is officer role" if you really want to limit it (optional), and unable to set a password to it, but it does what you need to do.
I don’t know if anyone has stated this, as I’m not going back through all 14 pages, (but as of page 7 no one had mentioned it) but you CAN make more channels in the guild UI, if you are a guild leader! This will help out those who used Ochat as RP or OOC chat. :)
15 Pages..... Still No Blue Post...
Going to lump my voice in with everyone else here.

Permissions/options are important.

I understand that Blizz wants to provide a service for players to access their other communities in-game and be able to utilize the voice options that they have provided, but by removing the option from the guilds to actively self-regulate, they instead inspire the opposite feeling -- players will NOT be inclined to use something that they outright dislike.

I'm not sure what their reasoning was behind all this, but I would very much like to hear their explanation.
Daily bump. I really hope I don't have to keep doing this.

Because of the lack of answers, I instead have attempted to find work-arounds in this new state. Last night we had an impromptu event, garnered about 7 or 10 people. IT was fun, but we had 3 or 4 other events that we also had previously planned for several days. However, because of the new permissions issue, now "Create Guild Event" is also locked behind the "Is Officer" super permission. My guild has a very lax policy on who can and can't create events, so long as they run it by an officer, that's fine.

I can already see how this post will be interpreted - and yes, I could, in theory, just have all my officers be on standby for if someone wants an event, they put it up on the calendar. But is it convenient? Not at all. My only two options are to give the super permission to lower/sub officers, or try and trust my entire guild with the permission.

Sadly, as much as I love them, (and I know a couple regularly check this thread now), that is very implausible as well.

Still haven't figured out a good way for what we stored on the officer note to be used elsewhere, and Public Note is still only locked behind 50 or so characters.

Again, it isn't the UI that's the major problem. As discussed in my last post, progress is good. The permissions are the real issue. I don't have much to throw in the arguments about master loot and all that other stuff, but this directly takes control and power away from the players.