"The Mess of the Mage":

Not just casuals, unfriendly to every player, even the good ones. M+ enviroment gets deadlier and deadlier… having a mega convoluted rotation like that gives almost no room for unexpected situations, which happens all the time, in good or bad teams.

Thats the reason warlock is better, despite arcane having the same damage potential, there is room for changing of plans while you keep your damage high, and that’s why I rerolled my main mage.

Well considering how many expansions enhancement has sat in the dumpster we deserve a little time in the limelight. The handful of frost mages I ran with didn’t get carried by me either they did their part.

Well, this thread is about mages. Unlike you guys wearing mail armor and can assume the role of healer, we can only assume DPS roles, putting us at an immediate disadvantage when we get nerfed.

Umm… you realize Resto shaman is one of the worst healers right now and good players get auto declined when they try to run keys… right?

You said assume the role of healer. Enhancement can spot heal at best at the sacrifice of their dps. Ancestral guidance can help with big aoe damage but we can no way in shape or form assume the role of a healer. We go oom after like 3 or 4 heals and they heal for next to nothing without maelstrom stacks.

I’ll never understand Blizzards balancing. “All damage increased by x%” feels so unprofessional. Like they’re just tossing a guess out there to hope it solves the issue. Like the issue has nothing to do with secondary stats or lack of mobility/proper burst.

You can’t just hope percent increases solve the spec when it’s deeply rooted in the synergy of talents/abilities.

2 Likes

Best way to bring fire back is to give it back shatter combos + deep freeze.

Fire has been the most boring and poorly designed mage spec for awhile now, but it performed well so nobody really cared.

Now it’s problems are clear, and just patching the damage over and over again isn’t going to fix the fundamental problems with the spec.

My point is, you guys have more than one way of playing Shaman. DPS clothies do not. If our abilities are nerfed, frost becomes a CC bot. Fire becomes a BB gun.

Another point: You guys actually have a better chance of getting into low Mythic+ dungeons because you can assume the role of healer. If you tell me you can’t heal Mythic 1-5, we’re done here.

1 Like

The fact that you think enhancement shaman can be a healer is laughable honestly. I wouldn’t have to heal in 1-5 because A. Mobs will be dead before damage and B. They do no damage. But enhancement literally can’t sit there and be a healer. I’d have to drink after every single pull and once again, we go oom after 3-4 heals that heal for crap.

I said Resto shamans. Learn to read.

We’re done here.

So the first time you said assume the role of healer you weren’t referring to resto shaman, now you are. Resto shaman is dumpster fire and I’d get into more groups as enhancement lololol

The same can be said for you going arcane instead of trying to play fire.

No crap. Now get out.

Or y’know. Just keep bumping my thread. I welcome it.

1 Like

Can an Enhancement shaman heal? Yes, though not very well, but they can do it, & it’s a simple fact that Shaman has more roles it can perform than does Mage.

Can any spec of Mage heal? No. Mage has ONE role to perform in a group; 3 ways to do it, but just ONE role.

As Attimus said before, that’s the point: whether you can do it “well” or not, as you keep fixating on, is not the point he’s discussing.

1 Like

no, because I am a smooth brain and couldn’t figure out how to actually sort timed runs/boss kills by class.

used a combination of icy-veins and wowhead. (although I was half asleep so I didn’t actually grab the side-by-side for each. but i’ll toss that in now.)
I can’t seem to find where the heck I got that ranked 5th for raid anymore… so i’m just including the current numbers I found.

wowhead: Raid 8, M+ 12
icyveins: raid 9, M+ 14

based on those rankings… well it certainly could be a lot worse. its solid middle tier in M+ and only -slightly- above average in raid.
now, those are averages mind you, a good mage will still be able to pump out some solid damage.

but considering the relatively high skill ceiling and basically non-existent margin for error in the rotation. The effort to outcome ratio definitely feels off. it takes a lot of work to wind up middle of the pack.

“Good” is subjective. We always have to assume casual because that is what makes up for most of the player base.

Also, I’m not too sure if WoWhead or Icyveins hold credibility anymore. Check my OP – it displays differently to both of them.

Khadgar. :frowning:

2 Likes

Why not swing on by the balance druid channel and see what’s going on with us face in palm more so for me.

took a look at yours, and its not all that different once you look at the full detailed view. arcane comes in 4th for ranged dps using their LB_CI (which seems to be what they base their rankings on.). but once you compare that to -all- dps its coming in 9th. which, granted is higher than the 2 sources I found. but not by much. 9th place out of 30 isn’t -horrible- and 4th place for ranged isn’t bad either. but its also not great.

as you said ‘good’ is subjective, the site you linked is looking at people running 16’s through 26’s. which i’d argue is well above the average skill level, considering afaik +26 is the highest anyone has managed to time so far, and only 1 +27 has even been completed. so that might be why arcane is ranked slightly higher there than on the other 2 sites, since the skill ceiling is pretty high, so a GOOD arcane mage can squeeze a lot more out of the spec than an ‘average’ player could.

Arcane isn’t in a -bad- place overall, and it can certainly pump out some serious damage if you know what you are doing and manage to line things up -juuuuust right-. The other 2 specs are in desperate need of some real attention first. but when arcane currently has easily the most complicated rotation out of the mage specs (and arguably one of the most complicated rotations in the game… or rather… 3 or 4 completely different rotations that all need to be executed damn near perfectly.) its not a great place for the spec to be in either.

Personally, I love arcane, its always been my favorite spec. but the effort to outcome just doesn’t feel like its worth it right now… this is honestly the first time since I started playing back in TBC that i’ve been putting some serious thought into just rolling an alt for the season.

no, every spec should have similar dps. And arcane is not hard, it’s just terribly designed.

Not to mention top specs now are stuff like outlaw with it’s three buttons