The layoffs

I mean, they also announced a PVE mode for Overwatch 2 at one point, so things can change.

2 Likes

This is good for customers. Sure is terrible for people losing their jobs.

1 Like

If you’re going to make up stuff at least try to be creative… but I’m guessing that’s not possible. :person_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

That’s a slap in the face.

I doubt it’ll impact blizzard that much.

That’s actually funny :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It’s that the name of a song…

thats cope

I prefer…

1 Like

This game is doomed

I’m less worried about a video game, and a lot more worried about the human beings who lost their jobs.

Trust me on this one: Unemployment is not fun.

8 Likes

Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 team impacted

World of Warcraft so far hasn’t seen much impacted at least from developers talking about it on X.

While I tend to agree given it pays for its development costs and earns a profit and has few liabilities at this point I want to point something out.

That is, such marketing (not promises, marketing) are not legally binding contracts.

Even pre-purchasers could be given refunds or for that matter a reskinned Deepholme with a total of 25 quests and one raid in the form of re-skinned molten core and no laws would be broken as such expansion content promises are all subject to change before release.

Blizzard does not have carte blanche from Microsoft to make 2 more expacs after this one. If things change, if subscribers dip or don’t improve to managements satisfaction (if that’s an expectation and we don’t know what the expectations are) they can abort expacs 2-3 or just 3 at any time up until 2 is finished enough to deliver and even then it could be killed and written off as a loss. (Though I don’t think Phil would pull a Zaslav and would assume for the sake of the customers he’d deliver what they had when making such an announcement)

That out of the way, these layoffs are pretty standard merger/acquisition stuff and not a cause for worry. MS gaming already has a lot of staff for various things from legal to middle management, upper management, certain office function positions which can now be fulfilled by existing staff remotely, etc. And this was an inevitability for a company MS’s size with as many existing gaming studios under a division.

The real time to worry will be if there is a second round of lay-offs next year (or end of this) due to for example poor performance, at which point you’re talking potentially trimming meaningful positions and potentially cutting back on product quality/quantity.

1 Like

10% cut to blizz / act along with all micro gaming . That is what the news in Seattle was saying

1 Like

The joys of the American Corporatocracy.

Shareholder value > Everyone’s wellbeing / health / job security

Edit: Rant here, but I bet Kotick walks away with tens of millions from the merger when he leaves while everyone else gets a layoff and a “Screw you” letter. God I hate his face with a passion.

3 Likes

Oh cmon let em panic a little its funny

4 Likes

Room temperature was being generous.

2 Likes

https://x.com/TheWindstalker/status/1750614186743484672?s=20

holly longdale ; wow pipeline isnt changing

1 Like

In the Auto industry where workers are part of a strong union they often see layoffs when less work is needed then they get hired back when work increases.

But then I’m sure they all agree unions are evil.

2 Likes