The Kaldorei Conundrum

All shoulder armor clip through my boobs.
The Draenei have the supreme rig sir.

the void elves are definitely cooler than nightborne and the alliance should not complain about getting them. I leveled a void elf rogue to 120 (which Loa help me, that grind is terrible) just for that sweet armor. Some of the best armor in the game, undeniable.

the devs did take a race which they thoroughly fleshed out throughout an entire quest zone, quest chain, numerous dungeons and a raid and give it to the horde yeah… but thats the ironic thing, they still are worse than void elves.

4 Likes

I feel like that’s very subjective. Honestly, I think both AR Elven races do very different things conceptually … and do them well.

The Nightborne do bring with the Horde access to the Ancient Kaldorei history, but tbh … once Azshara is gone the majority of the major Kaldorei story beats have sort of all been dealt with. What they DO do however is increase the thematic and political potency of the Elven Races within the Horde (and tbh … every AR we’ve gotten so far serves that role for their respective Core Race).

The Void Elves in contrast … there is a lot of potential in them. They bring about an interesting angle to explore the Void (a domain, like the Light, which was rather one-dimensional up until now). They also (despite their destitute CURRENT lore) are liable to have MASSIVE relevance and development moving into all this future heavy void based; old god based; and light based content.

But … I’ll admit I’m biased. I like every AR that has come out already conceptually, and I am supportive of both the Mechagnomes and (I hope) Kelfin ARs (should they occur).

Well, as someone stated in a different thread, we are effectively out of WC3 era story to draw from. The writers now have to develop new story beats, characters, and zones.

Creating the Void Elves, though seemingly an odd decision, may open the story into new avenues.

4 Likes

Night elves haven’t been the “big guy” in the room in a long while. Its basically like picking the elderly at this point.

4 Likes

Once again, I think this is a problem of presentation.

By the fact that Saurfang hired a bunch of rogues to sneak in and assassinate key guards all across the zone of Ashenvale, that implies that the night elves control most of the zone and consider it secure enough to be held by guards rather than frontline military units. That’s a far cry from the ‘Maestra’s Post under bombardment, Astranaar literally on fire, Horde everywhere up to the very border of Darkshore’ that was seen in Cata questing.

It’s just that we the players only see/hear the night elves get smacked down - repeatedly and in great detail - and don’t get to read or participate in stories where they pick things up (to get back to the starting point so they can be knocked down again).

8 Likes

I’ve stated the same quite a few times, and get the constant similar response / disagree - (who mind you this particular quoted person has also stated she wants Thalyssra punished / executed ‘for her crimes’ along with Lor’Themar) example from another thread -

The arguement about it got rather extensive, lol.

Which was stupid in my opinion, Tyrande or Malfurion should had been present finding out the Azshara was back scheming, or at the very least give Shandris more dialog than Jaina.

They’ve been relevant to ancient Night Elf lore, such as Zin-Azshari (In Nazjatar) but like Shieyra said, they have more in association with the Highborne culture when in the Kal’Dorei empire.
To which most of the Highborne in the Nightelves ranks were exiled (a large portion have rejoined their society thanks to Archmage Mordent Evenshade however) so if anything I feel Mordent Evenshade should had been perhaps present for the Alliance in Nazjatar.

I like when Blizzard portray new likeable characters, it’s refreshing. But they’re really going overboard with the ‘Make everyone & everything mortal/boring, and go for the human potential even when it doesn’t make sense’ vibes for awhile now.

3 Likes

That’s the kicker, though, isn’t it? Nazjatar wasn’t made relevant to the concurrent Night Elf lore. There is a lot of Night Elf lore happening right now (Teldrassil, Darkshore, Ashenvale, even the new leatherworking quests in Boralus) and neither Nazjatar nor the Nightborne have any relevance to any of it.

And I am in agreement with you that the Night Elves should have had more presence in fighting against Azshara. Blizzard at least has a chance to make up for it since Azshara is still around, but, as with everything lately, we’ll have to wait and see.

4 Likes

The Javelins of Suramar.

The Javelins of Suramar contribute nothing of importance or relevance to the Night Elves. They were a one-shot mcguffin for an equally contrived magic shield that have never been mentioned in the game or official lore before and likely never will be again.

You really like to avoid that the important Night Elf lore happening right now is on Kalimdor, not in Nazjatar, don’t you?

1 Like

Its Night Elf history and lore whether you like it or not.
Just because it isn’t current lore doesn’t make invalid…

1 Like

The Spears of Suramar are honestly more Shal’dorei lore… and one of the issues with the Shal’dorei. They have effectively hijacked all of what was Kaldorei lore pre WoTA barring the Shen’dralar. uncontested Kaldorei lore can be argued to begin at the start of the long vigil.

4 Likes

That is exactly my point Kaileath.

It seems now effectively all Night Elf lore before the Sundering now belongs to Shaldorei at worst or it is shared at best.
Blizzard probably wanted both factions to have some sense of direct connection to all the Night Elf Empire that we will be seeing.

Amadis seems to have this purist view of what constitutes Night Elf lore.

1 Like

Why would it matter after this Azshara and the Naga are dealt with though? Not going to go that route, but outside of getting deeper insights into Elune (which, has always been a point of contention and controversy for Kaldorei players) … the Ancient Kaldorei relevant lore well has almost run dry. The Legion gone; the Nightmare … sort of dealt with; and now Azshara on the backfoot. There is content (but like with ALL of WoW, Blizz is running out of WC3 content to use).

Sure, its nice for the Nightborne to have some additional relevance with Naz’jatar, but its not as if the Sin’dorei and Darkspear don’t have established contentions with the Naga (not to the level the Kaldorei do with Azshara, but serviceable). Not only that, Naz’jatar turned out to be this bizarre little zone where setting up the Bodygaurd Races took far more of a focus than the Naga (or even Azshara). The irony that a GOBLIN Sub-race is almost more relevant to the story of Naz’jatar than the Nightelves and Nightborne is surreal to me.

2 Likes

I didn’t call it invalid. I called it irrelevant.

Once again, what you said:

We are getting a lot of Night Elf lore in BfA, true, and the bulk of it is in Darkshore and Kalimdor, in which the both Nightborne are not present and the Javelins of Suramar are irrelevant to.

This is also not true, because most of the present day Night Elves are not related to the Highborne. There is more lore for the ancient Night Elves than just the Highborne. For example:

These ghosts have nothing to do with Suramar or the Nightborne or even the Highborne. The are more representative of the Night Elves relevant to current events, and the Nightborne do not take that away from the Night Elves.

This is my point as well. Nazjatar over all is irrelevant to current event Night Elf lore.

2 Likes

Spoken like a true purist.

Except its neither.

Giving up again then, I see.

You seem to have your idea set on what constitutes Night Elf lore and what doesn’t.
You and I arguing is never going to change anything and its not an enjoyable conversation to have.
Neither do I gain anything by painstakingly proving to you Night Elf Empire lore and past is now as much as Night Elf as it is Nightborne.
It used to be that Alliance had exclusivity to it unless Blood Elf players could argue some distant ancestry but now the Night Elves don’t have exclusive claim because Blizzard decided to share it to both faction.

So from now on when you walk around the world and see some Night Elf ruin from Empire days both factions can lay claim to it as relevant lore due to the Nightborne inclusion.

Are scoring points in this forum really that important to you? Really?
You know what? Yeah sure I give up. You win. I bow and plead for your mercy.

Does this make you feel good? Got a warm feeling bubbling in your belly now? lol

1 Like

Eh? A lot of modern Kaldorei are old enough to still remember the ancient Kaldorei empire, and the ties between Lowborne and Highborne classes are just as murky and complex as RL links between aristocracy and the lower classes tends to be. a number of modern Kaldorei were in fact Highborne who didn’t get exiled; they became the first druids. That is, again, not even considering the Shen’dralar.

This is sorta my gripe with the Shal’dorei being on an opposing faction to the Kaldorei; any meaningful development of the Shen’dralar an almost 0% chance because the Shal’dorei totally ate that ancient-master-of-the-arcane theme up.

4 Likes

I mean … have the Shen’dralar actually had any relevance since they joined up with the Kaldorei? Its almost as though they were just sort of consumed by the Kaldorei nation, and sort of just wheeled out like “Hey Look, We Gots them Mages Now!” every once in a while. Hell, the Shen’dralar mages are currently being ordered around by the very woman who tried to murder them wholesale when they were first even allowed into the NE Civilization again in Darkshore. Also, almost nothing of their actual civilization still exists beyond the people themselves …

The best difference I can describe is the Shen’dralar are a failed vestige of Highborne civilization; the Shal’dorei are one thats still doing OK for now.

1 Like