The issue with SL legendaries compared to Legion

As mentioned on the Community Council, Shadowlands legendaries have a worst catch up mechanism, also if you want to change from spec or legendary power, you must invest gold into a new piece.

The whole idea of bring life to professions by adding the player power crafting component caused issues like players mentioning p2w, even when a legendary 190 provides the same effect that one 290, just different stats.

It’s a concern because there’s a lack of feedback around professions too, that should be address., taking on consideration that Devs buffed Korthia crystals drops and now 9.2 created similar issues with the new component,Devs don’t want to change legendaries cost because a player base of crafters already invested a lot on those levels.

IMO, legion handle legendaries bad during the first iteration but it got really great later, that expansion allowed players to experiment different powers besides the meta.

In other hand, SL had so many limitations and gold cost that players never touched some powers, Devs could had developed a legendary system with Azerite essences mechanic, on which you can craft the legendary slot that you want and then change the power like any essence.

That system around a legendary power with 2-3 slots available just created more issues for devs and players.

3 Likes

i dunno, at least i can get one. in legion i never got my legendary

Just gave them the inspiration for the next legendary system.

I have no doubt the next system is already designed lol.

Also, I was not expecting someone to reply to this so fast. I’m heading to sleep soon but look forward to seeing thoughts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My demonhunter had a 262 within a couple of days being max level. Thankfully the slot I picked was affordable at around 55k. This was pre 9.2.

The only issue I have with lendaries atm is the gold cost. Player progression shouldn’t be forced through gold. Sure you can use a 190 ilvl lego for almost nothing but unless you just solo 9.0 content a 190 lego isn’t going to do you any favors.

Blizzard needs to reduce the materials costs of the Rank 1, Rank 2, and Rank 3 legendaries by 90%.

That’s all they have to do. Problem fixed.

Every other thing in the game has catch-up, except crafting. They need to have catch-up for crafters so people can GET the recipes.

The requirements for the actual rank 4 / 6 / 7 pieces are fine. The problem is that nobody can GET the recipes at this point without throwing away millions.

2 Likes

In Legion getting a legendary was a big surprise. In Shadowlands it’s a big grind. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think I prefer the Legion way.

3 Likes

I am at work which unfortunately has too much free time :confused:

“Blizzard Game Dev” We lost 3 million player last year how do we fix this ?

“Blizzard CFO” Does some math.
3 million player at 15 dollars a month - 45,000,000.
45 million dollars divide by 20 - 2,250,000

“Blizzard CFO” - Just figure out a way to sell 2.25 million wow tokens next tier we dont care about our player we only care about our profits.

“Blizzard Game Dev” - Lets make legendries even more expensive next tier. We have 2.25 million players left right ?

“Blizzard CFO” Actually we dont.

“Blizzard Game Dev” Double the mats required and ban as many of the players with the patterns as possible

“Blizzard CFO” Problem solved and while your at it which dept is the needed less? We just lost 3 million players so we have to cut staff.

You can’t just buy legendaries from a vendor, though. Tokens don’t magically solve problems for Blizzard, people have to mine the nodes, skin the monsters, and make the stuff.

Y’all are looking for a wow token bogeyman hiding in every closet these days.

3 Likes

No, they should not nerf the cost to rank up right now. A lot of people spent massive amounts of gold to rank the patterns. Why take that away from them? If they refunded the oboreal shard cost that we have all spent then sure. That was the mistake to begin with. The huge gold requirement for a vendor item is stupid.

Taking away? What are you going on about? Nobody’s going to lose their patterns they’ve already learned.

What are you, a tailor? The orboreal shard cost is trivial compared to things like Heavy Callous Hides.

Sooo lets keep the rich people rich right ? Those same people who poured millions into it
are also making millions. The problem is a million isnt easily obtainable at this time unless you sell carries. Even less so on low population server. So here is what happens. The rich stay rich and then you get inflation just like in real life except the quantity of items is limited in game and the players who can make such patterns is even more limited. You are likely one of those people and your opinion is not welcome here.

Tailor and blacksmith, leather is farmable. Oboreal is not. You can also buy heavy callous with anima or valor. Farming skins on a tank is trivial.

The main problem is that it’s impossible for new crafters to learn the patterns without losing a fortune in the process.

I’m sure some of the people who got the patterns at the start of the expansion have quit. And there’s nobody to replace them with the current way things work.

It’s entirely possible that on some servers you won’t even be able to get some pieces.

The reward for the investment is what we will lose.

Easy Fix: Don’t make legendary items part of your mandatory progression path but rather return them to very powerful items you have to work very hard for weeks or months to get, with story and questing attached to them that aren’t immediately devalued in the next patch.

Legion legendary acquisition sure created a bunch of problems that took over a year to (kind of) fix. BFA legendary was an endless grind that surely created just as many problems. SL legendaries resulted in players quitting over Choreghast and serving as gold sinks to sell tokens.

They haven’t really gotten this right, and after 7 years it might be time to try something else.

Likely one of what people? I just came back to the game. Gold rains from the sky in sl. If you feel broke pick herbs. I made 700k selling 262 crafted. I was charging 50k per piece or 10k I f I used your mats. I don’t believe in ripping people off, but I was going to make some gold for having to kill every rare every day.

I suggest you look at the actual recipe requirements and compare to the U.S. median value of heavy callous hides.

The orboreal shards aren’t even close to being the main cost item going into making leather pieces. Not even close.

I don’t typically look at ah prices for mats that are an easy farm. And I for sure don’t look at all of these other servers prices. I don’t use ah addons either.