The Imperial Tournament 🐼 (RPPvP) 450k+ Gold Prizes

In truth, I think more feel as though actual PvP fighting in RP scenarios don’t really go together. As a former arena junkie and PvP addict, I can honestly see why; nothing feels weirder than losing to a bashful scholar as a seasoned Shado-Pan veteran, or getting your butt handed to you–a grandmaster–by a lowly student. There’s not a lot of overlap with those interested in RP and PvP enough that they focus on their gear enough to keep up. And I feel those that do probably settled into Emerald Dream.

This isn’t a complaint! It’s their event, they should run it as they wish! I’m merely offering reasons. I feel confident in my ability to PvP, but I don’t feel at all that should be a determination of IC character power.

1 Like

A sort of quasi IC event with PvP is doable but yeah IC power levels don’t often translate to character power levels. It’s the main reason I tend to keep PvP and RP apart.

You have village blacksmiths beating up demon hunters and it’s like wut.

2 Likes

I do agree and this is all my personal opinion ofc, and if ppl like pvp for RP more power to them! I am glad you get to show off a great skill of yours. But to me PvP instead of RP battles limits the creativity, you can’t really show off any of the skills your character has that you might have written for them.

Matches also become way to short as you have someone who PvPs all day everyday versus someone that only RPs and occasionally PvEs… Well they are going to get one shot not doubt about that lol, so in that mind it kinda limits who can actually sign up for anything. You also have the unbalanced racials where if people are of equal footing their racial might pull them ahead.

Maybe consider doing some RP matches after the PvP matches? These ofc wouldn’t have a reward just something everyone can do for fun and for those that did want to participate but couldn’t since they aren’t pvp sensations.

1 Like

It would likely be more entertaining to an RP-oriented crowd as a roll battle event, with stats set up beforehand. That way it’s not quite so random from an IC standpoint.

It’s a difficult situation all around. How does one make a one-size-fits-all method of IC battling? It really can’t be done unless you’re exclusively in the company of reasonable individuals that don’t imbue their character with their OOC egos, and so willingly take on /roll penalties or something of that sort for a more plausible conflict. Pile on a tangible gold reward, there’s really no way to make everyone happy. So, that really shouldn’t be the goal! If you ask me.

Perhaps a means of combining both, as mentioned above? But maybe the gold reward goes only to the winner of the PvP-exclusive tournament? Just dropping ideas, I look forward to it either way!

1 Like

I really don’t want to distract this into the meta of RP and game mechanics but I feel like there’s a point being missed in relation to the tournament.

Yes, there is massive gold incentives being offered to whomever wins the most matches. In the spirit of all things, that makes sense. It is a tournament after all.Yes, this will be PvP using game mechanics because I find that to be, for both the audience and participant, far more exciting to watch. Text and rolls is fine and all, but if I’m going to have a situation where people are going to be standing around in a circle, waiting for things to happen—it better be exciting visually to watch. And yes, involving PvP/Gear narrows some aspects down—but I want this tournament to have a clear victor. A victor determined by investment in the game and ability to perform—and as much as well all have attachment to our characters I need a system to really simplify the equation. /duel provides this.

However, as we are offering gold and rewards to not just the victors in placement, but in just spectacularly played characters and the performance of fights themselves. You can come out at the bottom of the list and still get recognized if just on pure showmanship. This is still and RP event and everyone is part of the audience of what your character has to offer. You might come in third place, but held your own in a duel and kept the fight close, with some hilarious IC quips in between matches for example. I put that in there to have people feel at ease with signing up.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I PvP a lot aside from it being my gameplay outlet of choice but also because I feel like if your character is going to have a certain level of proficiency in combat—it shouldn’t be subjective to just arbitrial word choice. It’s -easy- to write that X person is a top level duelist. It’s not so easy to compete with other players to do so.

At the same time however, not all losses have to be derogatory or diminishing to your character and not all wins have to be empowering. I’ve had Lianshi lose to novices in both RP and in the PvP sense from all sorts of cases. From underestimating opponents to making careless errors, to even in PvP accidentally forgetting a skill was on cooldown, to where we just wrote the whole matter as a coming into a fight but left tools at home. All of these examples evolved into character development that worked out better for me in the end.

Winning and losing isn’t one-dimensional when it comes to storytelling. And the idea that game mechanics limits creativity, when RP is an imaginative process entirely, comes off as a self fulfilling prophecy. I’ve seen people use the end result of trading card game matches determine the fate of characters and their history going forward (Shoutout to Legend of Five Rings) so I can’t honestly buy into the mentality that it does anything to stifile the narrative potential or aptitude of other players. RP -isn’t- a one size fits all concept.

Also, to be frank. A lot of you are selling yourselves short. The average iLvL of those signed up and commenting in this thread is 404 and abilities in game have different damage values when engaging other players. Like, there’s no one here getting one-shot and everyone has more than a month to get fluff pieces of gear—if-- it really matters.

I might consider this if there is enough interest but it’s wholeheartedly an antithesis to the nature of this event and cheapens some of the spirit of the game that I and others are working hard to share with everyone else.

2 Likes

Fairly put. There really isn’t a way of doing events like these “correctly”, there’s just deciding which of endless ways to do 'em. I’ll probably be bringing the mage here, then.

For, uh… reasons.

With how things are going [no spoilers] - Buliss-Hunter-The Volkar Legion will be there and several folks from VKL will likely come, too.

1 Like

Just a few more weeks to go.

Valkosk won’t leave the Barrens, but Kostco Greendeath, the mysterious orc in green armor, may show up.

@Lianshi I liked your conversation about dueling and RP on Topsail’s podcast. We share the same sentiment about it for the most part.

1 Like

Don’t wish to compete. Plan to attend & enjoy & had a thought about a possible active contribution in a small way. Could you use an IC tea & noodle stand for people to have refreshments while they watch?

Where do we sign up? Or did I miss that completely…

Posting here is enough. You should be fine.

I’m putting this warrior in; as Lu Mui, one of the Assembly of the White Tiger ‘promoters.’ Trying to kill two birds with one stone, as it were.

I’d be interested in signing up! Little token of good will from the Zandalari Empire.

4 Likes

Roster has been updated and looking forward to see everyone fight!

Yep, just letting me know the name, class, and guild you’re part of and I’ll put you in the list of contestants.

Sign my warrior up!

Gronkie - Warrior - (GUILDLESS)

2 Likes

I’d like to Sign up on this character. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Two weeks till the biggest brawl of 2019!

4 Likes

Surely there are more champions willing to fight and take our gold?!

2 Likes