The idea of an pure tank is dead! Blizz fix this

The whole idea of tanking is down to who is doing the most damage. You don’t even have to wear shields nor defensive gear, fury tanks and ret tanks. Its becoming a race of dps. SoD lost one of wow important roles down to the need of dps.

Dps is an better tank than pure tanks and its sad to see.

I do not care about pharsing. I like to reduce damage as much i can and being the wall. So others can dps more.

I feel forced to go ret and aim for damage over everything. Because the ret is still can do the tanking and better dps. Prue prot’s threat isnt there enough to be use.

4 Likes

Yeah, bosses really do need to hit harder.

1 Like

harder and faster and special move that require defensive stats to reduce

I like doing damage with my tank char.
Only Taunting and getting hit is extremely reactionary gameplay, not even healers play like this.

I am not asking 100% reactive gamaplay, Just damage isnt the 1st top prio as an tank. Reducing any damage is should.

The reason tanks don’t go tank spec is because their talent trees are turbo garbage. It’s not just a lack of dps, but the fact that the tank talents doesn’t really do anything. A fully invested Prot Paladin/Warrior takes marginally less damage than their dps counterpart while doing substatially less dps.

But there is a second problem. Blizzard can’t make bosses hit too hard either since Shamans and Warlocks doesn’t have the ability to deal with crushing blows. Which would become disastrous for them if bosses hit really hard. Their only options would be to continously buff their tanking runes, which would break them in PvP.

Fixing this would require an overhaul of the talent trees, which i believe is out of the scope of SoD. Minor changes to a few specific talents is all they have done so far.

1 Like

fury/prot was always a thing even before TBC lol
There definitely should be cooler threat gens that can do decent damage but that same HIGH dps has always been the case until people started taking mad hits from patchwork and other tank killers

Pure tank is never a term in wow, from classic era to retail, there has never been a “pure tank”

It has been always “enough to survive then full damage”. If devs put too much pressure on tank’s survivability, healers and tanks will complain and you know how scarce these roles are, it’s better to not upset them.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me, but I fail to see a problem here.

1 Like

The problem the tank specs is dead. Its all about dps over everything even staying alive.

3 Likes

This is like the 10th alt you’ve posted this on.

3 Likes

Its Ture, If multiple tanks specs are not used because of multiple reasons and where poof that not even can do the same content. The playerbase will push that. Its not one spec, its warrior, pally, feral. Its not fun where your spec can’t even do the same game. Just because of dps? thats sad and need to be fixed.

what i am saying as content is just playing with agv players and struggling to hold threat or getting melted doing your stuff right.

You are forced into a spec that can do it of the dps nothing else! its bad when an 3rd of the roles and a main stat of that role not even used (defense stat)

Tell me you haven’t fought Eranikus without telling me you haven’t fought Eranikus. He still parry hastes and thrashes for 4500+ dmg in 2 seconds ON A TANK. there’s no way you’re tanking any boss in ST without an actual tank, the bosses do hit hard. You must be talking about ZF or some crap

1 Like

Hit the nail on your head

There was never really ‘pure tanking’ in vanilla WoW. You tanked mobs back then by doing the most damage. It is why warrior raw output is so high. It has not really changed.

You can easily test this by going into a zone as a warrior, remove all runes and try to hold aggro versus a mage spamming arcane explosion. Chances are, you will not hold aggro. It is what made Thunderfury so strong for tank warriors. It gave them AoE output.

Tanking is about holding threat. You hold threat through damage. Mitigation means you get less resources to deal damage which means you deal less threat.

The only way to make mitigation appealing is to give tanks the ability to get resources faster or allow mitigation to provide resources. Currently, the only talent that does that is essentially Shield Specialization on Warriors and Shaman’s rune WoE. WoE for Shamans is a lot more powerful than the Warrior counterpart, but a string of no blocks or a caster mob means that Shaman tanks suffer the loss of mana regen which is big.

Warriors and Druids need rage from dodge. Warriors additionally from Parry. More from Shield Specialization (like 5 rage minimum).
Paladins would need Reckoning to proc off any hit and deal seal damage while wearing a 1H. Dodge/parry/block provides a minor amount of mana back. Paladins are in a decent spot resource wise unless you are running Exorcist/AoW, then things can get a lot more dicey.
Warlocks would need damage taken/dodge to give back mana.
Rogues would need Energy back from dodge/parry.

These would be the easiest ways to fix tanking and make mitigation desirable. It would allow for more instances of damage or less running out of resources that allow for more actions to be taken. Granted, things like Combat Potency for rogues already exists to increase Energy generation, which is big.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter what they do.

Tank DPS will always be priority for groups, because DPS shortens the fight.

If you have a tank that just barely meets the mitigation threshold to survive the fight and a tank that easily surpasses the mitigation threshold to survive the fight- it’s still going to depend on which one does more DPS.
That’s player behavior, nothing blizzard can do will change that…

yup, the tank role doesn’t even exist anymore. it’s just a slightly beefier dps :expressionless:

they just remove it on the last two bosses

i know the fight to survive is dead its fight to dps its all on the healers to keep them up.

In vanilla people was going pure tank because that seem like the right thing to do atm and still hold threat because damage output was on the pair to the dps threat. Now dps threat is too high it make us go dps ourself just its required to keep threat. The threat vs damage form the bosses are not balanced to use real tanks.

Make bosses hit way harder and increase your threat being in tank spec while you have to keep dps up

Isn’t that because currently bosses are only coded to be +2 on us instead of the +3 we’ll see later? If that carries forward all the way through to Naxx, cool, but I kinda doubt it.

Eranikus still Thrashes, so I won’t hold my breath that Broodlord won’t land crushings.